default windowmanager, framebuffer console, server installation

default windowmanager, framebuffer console, server installation

Post by Benjamin Kohl » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 00:24:35

Hello,
Iam new in solaris (from linux and *Bsd). I have a couple of
questions. I hope that you can help me with it.
1. How can I change the default windowmanager (from CDE to Afterstep)?
2. How can I activate framebuffer console? (bigger resolution)
3. I see that in die Solaris world the most sysadmins install x-window
on server. What is the background of this?
4. How can i activate more consoles? (changing with Alt + F1, Alt + F2
....)

thanks
Benjamin Kohler

1. Ethernet card found during installation but I see error msgs on console (server installation)

Hi.
    I have just setted up a linux server running Redhat 5.2 on my system.
During installation, it detected successfully my ethernet card.  I entered
the IP, domain name host name and subnet mask.
    Once the installation finished, when my server is online, I see strange
error msg on console and can't do networking.  I can't ping my others
machine running win98 over the network.  Here are an example of the msg I
got at the console :
        eth0: 21140 transmit timed out, status f0200000, SIA 000000c6
ffff0000
                              fff8ffff 8ff40000, resetting...
        eth0: Transmit timed out, switching to 100baseTx media.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Tanx in advance.

    Christian Hamel
    Montral, Qubec

2. SunOs 5.6?

3. Q: Starting KDE Windowmanager as default. (REDHAT 4.2)

4. ncurses questions (again)

5. Default WindowManager selection under RH 6

6. Is there a version of Tripwire?

7. Geforce 2 MX Linux Twin X servers or X server + framebuffer - Is it possible

8. Another newby to Linux

9. Default Gateway, Default DNS server

10. running a windowmanager on remote x-server (win95)?

11. Windowmanager that can manage two X servers at different depth?

12. is framebuffer console code in 2.5.4x functional ?

13. 2.6.x kernel & Radeon framebuffer console