Solaris 10 / Kernel Tunables / Storage HBA's / Storage Arrays

Solaris 10 / Kernel Tunables / Storage HBA's / Storage Arrays

Post by Stuar » Wed, 24 May 2006 22:04:26

Hi all,

quick question - working on a automated solaris 10 build for our
customers, and they support a number of different HBA's and Storage
arrays - I wonder if anyone has come across a good reference point for
suggested Kernel Tunables for storage within solaris

for some of detail - HBA's are a mix of the usual suspects from Emulex
and Qlogic
Storage arrays are (again) usual suspects from EMC / HDS etc.

any words of wisdom would be greatfully recieved.

Many thanks,

Stuart

Solaris 10 / Kernel Tunables / Storage HBA's / Storage Arrays

Post by Dextho » Wed, 24 May 2006 22:14:49

In the past I had to touch the following when dealing with Gigabit
HBAs.

maxphys
sd:max_throttle
vol_maxio
bufhwm/vx_bufhwm (to avoid buffer caching)

Emulex, I think, had a good write up on Solaris kernel settings for
optimal through put in their adapter manuals.  If you are using a
volume manager, you have to follow their best pratices so that your
configuration is optimal to your workload.

HTH
-Dexthor.

Solaris 10 / Kernel Tunables / Storage HBA's / Storage Arrays

Post by bl_antcza » Wed, 24 May 2006 22:15:07

Hello,

You should find some usefull PDF's according Qlogic on:

http://support.qlogic.com/support/drivers_software.asp

You must find model of HBA - there will be some info about tunable
parameters according kind of storage

and for Emulex:

http://www.emulex.com/ts/index.html

or if You have access to powerlink.emc.com - try to look on their
knowledge base.

But generaly will be very hard to compare one value for various HBA's
and storage. I think, that You should check proposals for all and
compare if they are not totally different :-)

Regards,
Blazej Antczak

Stuart napisal(a):

Quote:> Hi all,

> quick question - working on a automated solaris 10 build for our
> customers, and they support a number of different HBA's and Storage
> arrays - I wonder if anyone has come across a good reference point for
> suggested Kernel Tunables for storage within solaris

> for some of detail - HBA's are a mix of the usual suspects from Emulex
> and Qlogic
> Storage arrays are (again) usual suspects from EMC / HDS etc.

> any words of wisdom would be greatfully recieved.

> Many thanks,

> Stuart

1. USB Mass Storage not working on Solaris 10

Hi all,

I have an external HD enclosure with a 200GB IDE disk. This disk is
working properly under Windows/x86 and it has been tested over and over
for almost 1 year.

Now I wanted to use this external USB mass storage under solaris 10
sparc, but I think there is something strange happening here. The thing
can be summarized as follows:

~> iostat -Ei
[...]
sd16      Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 4 Transport Errors: 7
Vendor: USB 2.0  Product: Storage Device   Revision: 0100 Device Id:
Size: 203.92GB <203921141760 bytes>
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
Illegal Request: 0 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
[...]

and after I try to access to the device I get:

~> iostat -Ei
[...]
sd16      Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 14 Transport Errors: 64
Vendor: USB 2.0  Product: Storage Device   Revision: 0100 Device Id:
Size: 0.00GB <0 bytes>
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
Illegal Request: 0 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
[...]

ad you can see in the second case I have lost all the information about
this device (Size: 0.00GB <0 bytes>). So format -e cannot use this
device (well it wants to know the type of the disk which is clearly not
working) and I cannot even mount this thing.

In particular:

~# rmformat
Looking for devices...
[...]
      3. Logical Node: /dev/rdsk/c4t0d0s2

         Connected Device: USB 2.0  Storage Device   0100
         Device Type: <Unknown>
[...]

the same process works nicely on an USB Lexar 256MB pendrive. Indeed I
formatted it to test if everything was ok.

I also mention that the PCI card is a NEC chipset.

This is very annoying and I am wondering:

1) is the device working correctly? As you can see I have some Errors
(iostat). But the device works on windows on another box
2) any idea?
3) should I apply some patches?
4) should I change something in the scsa2usb.conf? (I hope I should not..)

Thank you for your comments!

2. aha142b and 2.0.35: cdrom not detected

3. Sparc Storage Array's -- Should I?

4. whats wrong with dynamic ip patch?

5. Help. PPP server (proxyarp) routing weirdness

6. boot problems with storage array and solaris 2.5.1

7. Parse a logfile - 1st column DateStamp; extract latest mods to an ItemNumber

8. Solaris 2.5 and Sparv Storage Array

9. Sun Storage Array and Solaris 2.4

10. Proliant DL380, HBA, and an HP Storage Works EVA

11. Sparc Storage Array Question

12. Sparc Storage Array