Turning on NIS on Solaris?

Post by farul ghaza » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have several workstations running Solaris 2.6 and 7 that I need to turn
into NIS clients. I don't have immediate physical access to each individual
machine, so I can't do the regular sys-unconfig on each one, is it possible
to do it remotely?

Slightly off topic, is NIS+ better than NIS? There are only about a dozen
machines in my little group of workstations, and I use NIS because I was more
familiar with it.Would NIS+ have any advantage over NIS in this situation?

Thanks in advance.

--
Posted with Ink Spot (for the Newton)

Turning on NIS on Solaris?

Post by Glenn Crawfor » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Not really.  NIS+ is good for some handy extra features, but it's a pig to
administer.  For such a small network, I think NIS would be a much better
idea.  Quicker/easier to setup, not as much to administer.  Don't get me
wrong, NIS+ _is_ good, but I wouldn't use it unless it had some features
that I specifically wanted.

To turn on NIS, once you've setup at least one as a NIS master, all you need
to do is edit some files.

vi /etc/nsswitch.conf and modify appropriately (based on /etc/nsswitch.nis
<- example file).

run 'ypinit -c'

then start the ypbind process (/usr/lib/netsvc/yp/ypstart <- think that's
slightly wrong, but if you grep for ypstart in /etc/init.d you'll see it in
one of the files in there).

Hope this helps...

Ciao for now...

Quote:

> I have several workstations running Solaris 2.6 and 7 that I need to turn
> into NIS clients. I don't have immediate physical access to each
individual
> machine, so I can't do the regular sys-unconfig on each one, is it
possible
> to do it remotely?

> Slightly off topic, is NIS+ better than NIS? There are only about a dozen
> machines in my little group of workstations, and I use NIS because I was
more
> familiar with it.Would NIS+ have any advantage over NIS in this situation?

> Thanks in advance.

> --
> Posted with Ink Spot (for the Newton)

Turning on NIS on Solaris?

Post by Mark Jackso » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> I have several workstations running Solaris 2.6 and 7 that I need to turn
> into NIS clients. I don't have immediate physical access to each
individual
> machine, so I can't do the regular sys-unconfig on each one, is it
possible
> to do it remotely?

Yes you can do it remotely, see
http://www.ebsinc.com/solaris/network/nis.html for instructions.

Cheers,
Mark.

p.s. I didn't create the web page, but I have used it with success.

1. turning non-NIS to NIS master - how?

I've got a Solaris 2.5 machine that's been running as a standalone non-NIS
machine.  I now need to turn it into an NIS master.

Using my NIS book, I set the domainname and then ran 'ypinit -m' and
answered the questions.

After it started to setup /var/yp/`domainname` it failed, saying that it
could not find "make.rules" and that there was nothing to make.  This is
where I'm lost - can someone help me out?

On the old SunOS machines, ypserv would be the server process running -
what's it called in the Solaris world?  Can someone point me to a Solaris NIS
how-to?

- matthew

--
matthew zeier                  "To live and die, it seems, is a waste

Systems Admin. / Online Junkie        http://www.synasoft.com/matthew/

2. IPCHAINS & PORTFW

3. Solaris 2.3 NIS+ Upgrade to Solaris 2.5 NIS+ Question!

4. Modem!!

5. Solaris NIS server and Linux NIS client : problems

6. attaching files via mailx

7. Secure NFS under Solaris 2.5/2.5.1 without NIS/NIS+ ?

8. Missing include files?

9. Adding linux NIS clients to Solaris NIS+ domain

10. Linux/Solaris NIS/NIS+

11. Reasonable nis security between Solaris & Linux (was Re: Is nis (yp) a security worry?

12. Solaris 2.5.1 NIS client with a RedHat Enterprise ES release 3 NIS master..

13. Using linux NIS clients with Solaris 2 NIS masters.