Adjusting audio volume

Post by Ulf Magnusso » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Hi folks,

can you shed some light on this:

I have a user being completely unable to get any sound from
the speakers of her client, running Solaris 7.
It has nothing to do with the machine itself, it is something
with the user setup.

I have looked through $HOME/.Xdefaults, $HOME/.desksetdefaults,
the files in $HOME/.dt/sessions/home/ - but haven't found anything
that looks suspicious.
I have a vague memory that there used to be a flag to 'xset' command
but not so today (or I am completely senile).

Any hints are most welcome.

/Best Regards, Ulf M.
--
- Ulf Magnusson                            | "God is dead !"
-                                          |              - Nietzsche

Adjusting audio volume

Post by Tor Slettne » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:31:21

    Ulf> I have a user being completely unable to get any sound from
    Ulf> the speakers of her client, running Solaris 7.  It has
    Ulf> nothing to do with the machine itself, it is something with
    Ulf> the user setup.

Using /usr/openwin/bin/audiocontrol, you should be able to select
output channels (built-in speakers, headphones, or external speakers),
as well as volumes.

-tor

--
F?r i ulvekl?r

Adjusting audio volume

Post by D. Roc » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 04:02:38

>    Ulf> I have a user being completely unable to get any sound from
>    Ulf> the speakers of her client, running Solaris 7.  It has
>    Ulf> nothing to do with the machine itself, it is something with
>    Ulf> the user setup.
> Using /usr/openwin/bin/audiocontrol, you should be able to select
> output channels (built-in speakers, headphones, or external speakers),
> as well as volumes.

Or - if you are brave enough - you can start the audio control tool
from the CDE panel (which starts /usr/dt/bin/sdtaudiocontrol).

But be patient. It starts a complete JRE (usage >= 40MB) just to display
two sliders and a checkbox:
  PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE   TIME    CPU COMMAND
 5930 rock      11   2    0   46M   33M run     0:05 12.11% java [com.sun.audiocontrol.SDtAudioControl.AudioControl]

That's what I call overkill.

--
Daniel

1. 44P Model 170: How to adjust volume of the system beep ?

Hi folks,

we have a problem with our new RS/6000 44P Model 170:
The system beep (on the internal speaker) is very loud.

Using the CDE Style Manager to set the volume doesn't
work, setting the volume to "0" ist switching the sound off
(we don't want this) and the whole range between "1" and "100"
does not change the volume, it is loud all the time.

Using
Smitty - Devices - Graphic Input Devices - Keyboard -
Change/Show Characteristics and then setting alarm volume to "low"
has also taken no effect (and yes, I rebooted the machine).

Has anyone an idea how to change the setting of the volume?

Greetings,

Rudi

2. Slow telnet to Linux via PPP

3. How to adjust Volume in Linux?

4. Hangup while switching consoles.

5. cant adjust volume of Soundblaster clone

6. Data collection thru network virtual device

7. Adjusting sound volume of CD player

8. SMP Thoughts?

9. adjust volume of on board sound

10. MP3 automatic volume adjust

11. Volume Adjust?

12. Cant adjust SoundCard(jazz16) Volume?!?!

13. Sound volume from audio CD