xterm, run a process, keep xterm open

Post by benre » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 23:41:46

Duibuqi for a simple question.

I want to run an xterm so that a named script (Expect) is
run but thereafter, I want the xterm to remain open.

I have tried variants of:
xterm -n myxterm -e </home/me/scriptname> &

scriptname runs, but then the xterm closes.

tia,
jay

xterm, run a process, keep xterm open

Post by benre » Mon, 04 Feb 2002 02:57:28

Cypher,
can you help me further?

i want the xterm to remain open and act normal.

i did a man on 'read' and could not see how to keep the
xterm open so that I can work in that xterm for the next
several days normal-like.

understand?

Post by benre » Mon, 04 Feb 2002 05:46:58

> #   Cypher,
> #   can you help me further?
> #
> #   i want the xterm to remain open and act normal.

> Sure, but first let me request you don't top-post.
> Place your reply after some (usually trimmed down)
> text of the post (mine in this case) you are replying to.

> Try this version:

>     #!/bin/sh

>     /home/me/scriptname
>     $SHELL

Cypher,
Thanks.  That worked just great.

1. xterm: how to open a new xterm and run telnet

Hi All,
In my work i need to access many servers. Each time i use the
following alias to create a xterm window and then do telnet.

alias black='xterm -cr red -ms blue -ls -rw -sb -sk -sl 200000 -T
"SERVER1" -bg black -fg white -vb -fn courr14 -geometry 70x30 &'

I want execute telnet command with xterm so that i don't have to type
telnet xyz
in new window.
I googled and found something like this

xterm -e telnet SERVER2

This works fine if i issue this command from the command line. But
when i put into alias it doesn't work. Just for a moment new xterm
window appears and then  disappears.

alias black='xterm -e telnet SERVER2 -cr red -ms blue -ls -rw -sb -sk
-sl
200000 -T "SERVER1" -bg black -fg white -vb -fn courr14 -geometry
70x30 &'

What's wrong with the above alias?

Tx
Ajay

2. Apache server reliability under heavy load conditions

3. can you open an xterm & run a subroutine in that xterm?

4. lilo printing only LI

5. to find out , which bootloader is in use in my linux box?

6. Ytree Error opening terminal: xterm.Error opening terminal: xterm.

7. post-upgrade help needed for solaris 8

8. How Cron job open Xterm window and display outputs to this xterm?

9. xterm &, run a setup script, xterm won't stay on

10. I need an xterm Guru! xterm stopped running.

11. keep xterm -e ls -l window open?

12. HELP: xterm process keeps going to zombie