skipping system dump : no dump device configured. Rebooting...

skipping system dump : no dump device configured. Rebooting...

Post by simi » Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:00:00

After skipping the installation CD and using part 1 of 2, I get a little
further.

What that means I have no idea, but more importantly I now get the Boot
args: kernel/unix.

The screen changes and give me the option for jumpstart installation or one
other??

The screen then outputs more text with:

skipping system dump : no dump device configured. Rebooting...

the machine then restarts.

Any help most appreciated, Steve

Quote:> Hi,

>     I am new to the unix enviroment and have purchased Solaris 8 from Sun.
> have followed the instructions that came with the media but still cannot
get
> the install working.

>     I boot from CDROM and the normal sequence begins as per the docs. The
> configuration assistant runs up ok. The hardware config data is all listed
> after the detection, then I press F2.

>     After this a prompt appear with options to enter interpretter mode
> {press i}, another mode with another option (also prompts for file
locations
> ??), or enter for default.

>     I have tried all 3 options, the end result is that no "dump location -
> restaring system" occurs and the system restarts.

>     Under Boot path: the default location is fine.

>     The Boot args: which should be "kernel/unix" is blank.

>     I had Linux on the partition originally and tried installing over the
> top, no joy. I then used my NT boot disk set and deleted the partitions
then
> created 1 single partition and formated it with FAT16. I have also tried
> with the one partition and not formated (I suppose the norm).

>     Please can anyone help me?

>     Many thanks, Steve

1. unix dump: dumped twice to same dumpfile; restore if file displays only last dump

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root     554221568 Nov 22 16:07 /mnt/cc/cc

restore > ls
.:
System.map              grub/                   map
System.map-2.4.8-26mdk  kernel.h                message
boot.0300               kernel.h-2.4.8          os2_d.b
boot.b                  lilo                    us.klt
chain.b                 lilo-graphic/           vmlinuz
config                  lilo-menu/              vmlinuz-2.4.8-26mdk
config-2.4.8-26mdk      lilo-text/

That's a mighty big filesize for /boot which i know to be 23 MB.
So i must assume that the first dump (of / ) is still there.
But restore only lets me see the latest dump (on top of that "layer")

Anyone ever encounter this and recover the first dump?

cave jabberwockum

2. MX list points to another machine

3. Dumps of mounted file systems, dump size estimates and GNU tar

4. Linux in a school?

5. no dump device configured

6. chat problem

7. savecore: no dump device configured

8. 2.5.66-bk5 spinlock warnings/errors

9. How to differ crash dump reboot from normal reboot.

10. System Dump Memory Image in Swap Device after Panic on SCO 3.2.2

11. PANIC & system dump memory image in swap device

12. System dump device: what is it for and why do I need it?

13. dumping Solaris file system to Linux/Alpha tape device