Installing Netra T1 AC200

Post by To » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 15:24:47

Hi,

I using a Netra T1 AC200 for the first time.  The power has already
been turned on.  I have an Ethernet connection between the Netra and
the Ethernet hub.

The Serial connection is between my PC and the Netra Serial Port A
(LOM).  I am using HyperTerminal on Windows NT to connect to the
Netra.  The terminal is running on COM1 with 9600-8-N-1, AutoDetect
for the Terminal Type, and Flow Control Equal to None.  But I can not
get a command prompt.  I have tried different buad rates and terminal
types.

Any guess to what may be wrong?  Can Netra's connect to a PC COM port?

Thanks In Advance,
Tom

Installing Netra T1 AC200

Post by Toomas Soom » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 17:12:44

> Hi,

> I using a Netra T1 AC200 for the first time.  The power has already
> been turned on.  I have an Ethernet connection between the Netra and
> the Ethernet hub.

> The Serial connection is between my PC and the Netra Serial Port A
> (LOM).  I am using HyperTerminal on Windows NT to connect to the
> Netra.  The terminal is running on COM1 with 9600-8-N-1, AutoDetect
> for the Terminal Type, and Flow Control Equal to None.  But I can not
> get a command prompt.  I have tried different buad rates and terminal
> types.

> Any guess to what may be wrong?  Can Netra's connect to a PC COM port?

I think, it can:)

lom port mus be in software flow control mode, speed 9600. serial port
standard configurations are:

ttyb-mode=9600,8,n,1,-
ttya-mode=9600,8,n,1,-

toomas
--
Any sufficiently advanced bug becomes a feature.

Installing Netra T1 AC200

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 22:05:55

> I using a Netra T1 AC200 for the first time.  The power has already
> been turned on.  I have an Ethernet connection between the Netra and
> the Ethernet hub.

> The Serial connection is between my PC and the Netra Serial Port A
> (LOM).  I am using HyperTerminal on Windows NT to connect to the
> Netra.  The terminal is running on COM1 with 9600-8-N-1, AutoDetect
> for the Terminal Type, and Flow Control Equal to None.  But I can not
> get a command prompt.  I have tried different buad rates and terminal
> types.

> Any guess to what may be wrong?  Can Netra's connect to a PC COM port?

Are you using a NULL MODEM cable???

Installing Netra T1 AC200

Post by Greg Andre » Sun, 03 Jun 2001 14:08:45

>The Serial connection is between my PC and the Netra Serial Port A
>(LOM).

Describe the cabling and adapters you're using, please.

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright

Installing Netra T1 AC200

Post by gary drummon » Wed, 04 Jul 2001 01:33:30

> Hi,

> I using a Netra T1 AC200 for the first time.  The power has already
> been turned on.  I have an Ethernet connection between the Netra and
> the Ethernet hub.

> The Serial connection is between my PC and the Netra Serial Port A
> (LOM).  I am using HyperTerminal on Windows NT to connect to the
> Netra.  The terminal is running on COM1 with 9600-8-N-1, AutoDetect
> for the Terminal Type, and Flow Control Equal to None.  But I can not
> get a command prompt.  I have tried different buad rates and terminal
> types.

> Any guess to what may be wrong?  Can Netra's connect to a PC COM port?

> Thanks In Advance,
> Tom

You may need a null-modem cable.
Also, I don't think the HyperTerminal will allow a break, which means
you can't get to the EPROM prompt until it boots up and you can init 0.

If you have another Sun around, connect its B port to the Netra's A
port, login to the Sun and "tip hardwire" to the Netra. a man tip will
display how to send special functions like a break key. For security
you can change permissions on the program + /etc/remote or/and port B.

Gary

Installing Netra T1 AC200

Post by Toomas Soom » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 06:13:31

: You may need a null-modem cable.

and double check about flow control. lom port wil not work if hw flow
control is enabled.

: Also, I don't think the HyperTerminal will allow a break, which means
: you can't get to the EPROM prompt until it boots up and you can init 0.

set console into alternate break mode (kbd -a alternate or update
/etc/default/kbd). now you can use CR ~ ^B sequence. man se, I guess...

toomas
--
Perhaps the world's second words crime is boredom.  The first is
being a bore.

Installing Netra T1 AC200

Post by C. Barte » Sat, 07 Jul 2001 04:00:54

> > Hi,

> > I using a Netra T1 AC200 for the first time.  The power has already
> > been turned on.  I have an Ethernet connection between the Netra and
> > the Ethernet hub.

> > The Serial connection is between my PC and the Netra Serial Port A
> > (LOM).  I am using HyperTerminal on Windows NT to connect to the
> > Netra.  The terminal is running on COM1 with 9600-8-N-1, AutoDetect
> > for the Terminal Type, and Flow Control Equal to None.  But I can not
> > get a command prompt.  I have tried different buad rates and terminal
> > types.

> > Any guess to what may be wrong?  Can Netra's connect to a PC COM port?

> > Thanks In Advance,
> > Tom

> You may need a null-modem cable.
> Also, I don't think the HyperTerminal will allow a break, which means
> you can't get to the EPROM prompt until it boots up and you can init 0.

> If you have another Sun around, connect its B port to the Netra's A
> port, login to the Sun and "tip hardwire" to the Netra. a man tip will
> display how to send special functions like a break key. For security
> you can change permissions on the program + /etc/remote or/and port B.

> Gary

The Netra t1 105/AC200/DC200 serial ports are configured with Cisco's
pinout. A cable should have come with the AC200... if not, it is the
same pinout as a Cisco console.

Here is the pinout (see
http://aa11.cjb.net/sun_managers/2001/04/msg00501.html):

  Serial Port (RJ45)    9-pin connector
  Pin 1 (RTS)           Pin 8 (CTS)
  Pin 2 (DTR)           Pin 6 (DSR)
  Pin 3 (TXD)           Pin 2 (RXD)
  Pin 4 (Ground)        Pin 5 (Ground)
  Pin 5 (Ground)        Pin 5 (Ground)
  Pin 6 (RXD)           Pin 3 (TXD)
  Pin 7 (DSR)           Pin 4 (DTR)
  Pin 8 (CTS)           Pin 7 (RTS)

- Chris

1. sunOS5.8 install sux on netra T1 AC200

Hi

I just got this Netra T1 AC200 box, it was of course preinstalled.
So I booted it, logged in on serial port, and started the postinstall
configuration.

When it came to network, it asked me a few things : is it networked, (i
said yes at first), what is hostname, what is IP adress, do you want
IPV6?
Then it tried to initialize device and failed... I tried a few times,
changing hostname, IPadress... I even tried to set it up for DHCP
(I have no DHCP server, but I tried to see what it would say...) always
same result... cannot initialize...
So I finally skipped the question and answered "no network"
So now I have a running box with no network... great (I want to really
thank Sun's engineer for the great job - yeah I'm a bit angry)

I cannot seem to find network devices - I dont really know what devices
naming conventions are... and anyway, Sun people didnt seem to find it
usefull to mention in the doc what the network devices are actually.
Anyone running the same box could tell me what their network interfaces
devices are named?
(this is Netra T1 AC200)

Any other help appreciated.

Thanks

Vincent

2. BASH 1.135 bug and CNEWS

3. Can the Netra t1 AC200 take four 512 MB DIMMs for 2 GB RAM?

4. SAPS Client for Linux

5. Solaris9 or Express on Netra t1 AC200

6. strange RH6.0

7. LVD/SE, A1000 and netra t1 AC200

8. Networking Problems with Slackware version

9. Solaris 8 on Netra T1 AC200

10. Netra T1 AC200

11. Netra T1 AC200 becomes unreachable

12. Interesting specs on the Netra T1 AC200

13. Newbie seeks help with Netra T1 AC200