Solaris x86 and IP forwarding w/ Linux

Post by John E. Keet » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hello all,
I have a question about Solaris x86 2.5 and Linux 2.0.0 Ip Forwarding (Masq).

The linux box is dialed-up via slip to my isp and is on a the same local network
as my Solaris box.

First..  I belive that I have the linux box set-up correctly..

The forwarding works will ALL win95 functions ( telnet ftp netscape
nslookup ping samba irc etc etc.) and with OS/2 (warp and merlin) (same
list as above) and it also works will all Solaris x86 2.5 tcp/ip functions,
except for Netscape 3.0b4 and b5. I had to mess with /etc/nsswitch.conf
to get telnet and ftp and netscape look to the dns correctly..
I can telnet, ftp whatever to anyhost I want.. When I try to use netscape
(only tested on above versions) it will connect to the remote host and
wait for a reply.. It will wait forever (well over 1 hour) for a connect.
Never timing out.

Does anybody else seen, or is running a setup similar to this? I belive
this problem is with netscape solx86 and not with the setup of the Solaris
2.5 box or with the linux box..

Also.. the linux box is a *386 sx 16 w/ 4 meg ram 42 meg of hdd.
So I don't have enough room to export the netscape from the linux box.

Does anybody have any suggestions at all..

Thanks in advance..

john

--

John Keeton  /  KB0VEH

http://www.veryComputer.com/~keeton

1. Solaris 2.6 x86 and IP-masquerading or IP-forwarding?

Hello!

Is there a possibility to make Solaris providing IP-masquerading or
IP-forwarding as Linux or NetBSD do? I've got a PPP-dialup-connection
to my provider with just one dynamic IP. Maquerading runs fine for the
other Computers in my local network when I'm using Linux on my PC.

Can I apply IP-masquerading or IP-forwarding to solaris, too? How can
I do that?

        Bye Oliver

--

  //
  // Institut fuer Betriebssysteme und Rechnerverbund

2. 1/11 sound/oss replace cli()

3. IP forwarding is only good for port forwarding of only one IP ?

4. 3COM 3C574 PCMCIA Problems

5. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc

6. MODEM

7. ip-forwarding && dns-forwarding

8. mawk v1.1.3 uploaded to tsx-11

9. Q: Does IP forwarding forward ARP ?

10. Using "ipchains -P forward DENY" instead of disabling ip-forwarding?

11. IP forwarding doesn't forward!!

12. Evaluation pointers: x86-Solaris vs x86-NT vs SPARC-Solaris

13. Linux-x86 binaries under Solaris-x86?