Installing Solaris using a gigabit ethernet interface only

Installing Solaris using a gigabit ethernet interface only

Post by Yablonski, Darren [CAR:4B59:EXCH » Fri, 23 Feb 2001 00:19:13

Hi All...

How do I install Solaris, including the networking components, using a
GE0 inteface only.  Usually we run a HME interface to the machine just
to get the system up and running during the install.  Then we
reconfigure the system to use the GE interface as its primary.  The
problem is that during the install the setup only searches for HME
interfaces, not GE interfaces.  We have an E450 running Solaris 2.7.
Thanks...

Respectfully,

Darren Yablonski - ITWGA UNIX System Administrator
(613) 763-8470 ESN 393

Nortel Networks, Information Systems
Design Environment Solutions
http://www.nortelnetworks.com

Two identifying characteristics of System Administrators:
Infallibility, and the ability to learn from their mistakes.

Installing Solaris using a gigabit ethernet interface only

Post by zida » Fri, 23 Feb 2001 02:21:06

I think that the boot can be done only trough the hme0 (as long as the
drivers for the GE0 are not in the open-boot software) then (once the box is
up) you should work on the /etc/bootparams of the boot server if you want to
install the software with the GE0.
My suggestions are:
1) Read the Rel notes of the OpenBoot software looking for something about
the GE0. (you'll probably modify some params at the prom level?!?!)
2) Read the man pages for /etc/bootparams

It's not much.... anyhow this is all I know! Sorry.
Damiano

Quote:> Hi All...

> How do I install Solaris, including the networking components, using a
> GE0 inteface only.  Usually we run a HME interface to the machine just
> to get the system up and running during the install.  Then we
> reconfigure the system to use the GE interface as its primary.  The
> problem is that during the install the setup only searches for HME
> interfaces, not GE interfaces.  We have an E450 running Solaris 2.7.
> Thanks...

> Respectfully,

> Darren Yablonski - ITWGA UNIX System Administrator
> (613) 763-8470 ESN 393

> Nortel Networks, Information Systems
> Design Environment Solutions
> http://www.nortelnetworks.com

> Two identifying characteristics of System Administrators:
> Infallibility, and the ability to learn from their mistakes.

Installing Solaris using a gigabit ethernet interface only

Post by Darren Dunha » Fri, 23 Feb 2001 01:41:45

Quote:> Hi All...
> How do I install Solaris, including the networking components, using a
> GE0 inteface only.  Usually we run a HME interface to the machine just
> to get the system up and running during the install.  Then we
> reconfigure the system to use the GE interface as its primary.  The
> problem is that during the install the setup only searches for HME
> interfaces, not GE interfaces.  We have an E450 running Solaris 2.7.
> Thanks...

Well, if the GE interface is seen by the OBP, it might be possible.  I
did this some time ago with FDDI interfaces.

'net' is just an alias for the hme0 device on your machine.  You can see
it from the OBP by walking the tree, or by doing a 'devalias' command at
the OK prompt.

If your GE interface is present there, you can just attempt to do a

Of course you'd want to have your Gigabit drivers loaded in your
jumpstart image, too.

Good luck!

      < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,  please disperse >

1. gigabit ethernet performance - Solaris 2.6, gem ethernet driver

Hi,

We have a Sun E4500, Solaris 2.6, with a gigabit nic installed.

prtdiag:
 1   SBus   25     1   network                           SUNW,sbus-gem

prtconf:
            Node 0xf00effe0
            local-mac-address:  080020ff.0f28
            gem-rev:  00000000
            burst-sizes:  0078007f
            shared-pins:  'serdes'
            board-rev:  00000005
            interrupts:  00000004
            compatible: 'SUNW,sbus-gem'
            model:  'SUNW,sbus-gem'
            has-fcode:  ' '
            version: '1.7'
            device_type:  'network'
            address-bits:  00000030
            max-frame-size:  00004000
            reg:  00000001.00100000.00000014.00000001.00200000.00009060
            name:  'network'

dmesg:
SUNW,sbus-gem0: Using Gigabit SERDES Interface
SUNW,sbus-gem0: Forced 1000 Mbps Full-Duplex Link Up

Driver rev:
what /kernel/drv/ge
/kernel/drv/ge:
        Solaris 5.6 Sun Gigabit Ethernet 2.0, PatchID 106764-09

ndd settings:

Link status  1
Link speed  1000
Link mode  1
adv_1000autoneg_cap  0
adv_1000fdx_cap  1
adv_1000hdx_cap  0
adv_pauseTX  1
adv_pauseRX  1
1000autoneg_cap  0
1000fdx_cap  1
1000hdx_cap  0
asm_dir_cap  0
pause_cap  0
lp_1000autoneg_cap  0
lp_1000fdx_cap  0
lp_1000hdx_cap  0
lp_asm_dir_cap  0
lp_pause_cap  0

We have the switch port (Cisco 6500, i believe) set at 1000 fdx as
well.

The problem is this, inbound traffic gets only about a 6000 Kbytes/sec
rate, whereas the outbound goes at about 20000 Kbytes/sec.

Does anyone have any ideas why this would occur?  I've searched
Sunsolve and came up with nothing.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

2. tob -- Tape Oriented Backup

3. link status for Gigabit ethernet interface

4. Solaris 7 Questions

5. Using Jumbo packets in gigabit ethernet

6. Viper XStones wanted!

7. Problem in installing two ethernet interface in solaris x86..

8. - can one change tty modes for tty not stdio ?

9. Install Gigabit Ethernet #2975 in H50?

10. Installing the antares gigabit ethernet card

11. Gigabit Ethernet on Solaris 2.6

12. Gigabit Ethernet in Solaris 2.6

13. Is jumbo ethernet MTU possible with Hamachi Gigabit ethernet driver?