PPP setup. Whose recipe is best?

Post by Andy Lennar » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Please shed some light in my gloom...

I have a couple of customers and need to connect from my machine to
theirs (one at a time) with PPP. It would also be nice if their machines
could call mine and tell me if anything were going wrong, but that would
be icing on the cake.

I'm running Solaris2.6 on an E450.

I've looked around and there seem to be loads of recipes for setting up
PPP, all slightly different, and to a newbie the subtle distinctions are
lost on me..

Advice please. Whose recipe is best?

Many thanks in anticipation,
Andy.

PPP setup. Whose recipe is best?

Post by Bill Voigh » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Andy,

Go to Stokely.com.  Go directly to Stokely.com, do not pass go, do not pull your
hair out when setting up PPP.  Celeste Stokely is the queen of serial
connectivity.

Seriously, there are a number of great tutorials there.  I set up PPP in less
than an hour with the help of their info.

Good luck,

BV

Post by Philip Bro » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>..
>Seriously, there are a number of great tutorials there.  I set up PPP in less
>than an hour with the help of their info.

good grief. You could have it up in 5 minutes, if you just ran
http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/configppp.sh

The word of the day is mispergitude

Post by Greg Andre » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>>..
>>Seriously, there are a number of great tutorials there.  I set up PPP in less
>>than an hour with the help of their info.

>good grief. You could have it up in 5 minutes, if you just ran
>http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/configppp.sh

What about configuring the modem?

  -Greg

PPP setup. Whose recipe is best?

Post by David Arnstei » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Andy and others,

A while ago I also tried setting up PPP on SOlaris 5.6 - so far without success but I plan
to try again.

In my case I was interested in making my Sun available for dial-in connection from PCs
running Windows 95 or 98. I found a number of tutorials etc (as described by Bill and
Philip) but they all tended towards setting up your system to access another system/isp,
rather than the other way around.

This looks like what Andy is trying to solve too.

I believe my problem may have been in determining how the PC was negotiating the PPP link.

Scripts like configppp.sh look great for setting up to connect out to some other
system/isp - does anyone know of something similar for the reverse or preferably for
configuring PPP for conncting in both directions?

If anyone can assist I would be grateful for an email pointing to a tutorial etc

Post by Philip Bro » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>>>..
>>>Seriously, there are a number of great tutorials there.  I set up PPP in less
>>>than an hour with the help of their info.

>>good grief. You could have it up in 5 minutes, if you just ran
>>http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/configppp.sh

>What about configuring the modem?

The script assumes you have a standard hayes compatible modem.
What did you have in mind by "configuring the modem"?

The word of the day is mispergitude

PPP setup. Whose recipe is best?

Post by Greg Andre » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>>>good grief. You could have it up in 5 minutes, if you just ran
>>>http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/configppp.sh

>>What about configuring the modem?

>The script assumes you have a standard hayes compatible modem.
>What did you have in mind by "configuring the modem"?

Telling the modem how to behave.  I.e.:

  tip -38400 /dev/cua/a
  connected
  AT
  OK
  AT &F &C1 &D2 S0=1 &W
  OK
  ~.
  [EOT]

If the modem isn't configured to do the right thing with the DCD signal
(&C1), then the login service is almost guaranteed to keep the port locked
and prevent aspppd from using it.  If the modem isn't configured to obey
the computer's DTR signal, it won't hang up at the appropriate time.

  -Greg

PPP setup. Whose recipe is best?

Post by Philip Bro » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>>The script assumes you have a standard hayes compatible modem.
>>What did you have in mind by "configuring the modem"?

>Telling the modem how to behave.  I.e.:

>If the modem isn't configured to do the right thing with the DCD signal
>(&C1), then the login service is almost guaranteed to keep the port locked
>and prevent aspppd from using it.  If the modem isn't configured to obey
>the computer's DTR signal, it won't hang up at the appropriate time.

Ah. Well, my script now disables the port monitor for the PPP modem
port, anyways :-)

http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/configppp.sh

The word of the day is mispergitude

PPP setup. Whose recipe is best?

Post by Celeste Stokel » Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:00:00

The world is certainly asking for a how-to for setting up a PPP
server (dial IN) for Solaris 7. I hear that the answerbook covers
this fairly well, but I haven't used it. If you know of a how-to
for this, or are willing to write one, let me know!

If I got a pointer to a good one, I'd link it in from our PPP info at
http://www.stokely.com/unix.serial.port.resources/ppp.slip.html

..Celeste Stokely, Information Technology Project Mgmt Consultant

  http://www.stokely.com - Home of Unix Serial Port & Sysadm Resources
  22 Six Shooter Dr, Silver City NM 88061-9791
  Main: 505-534-3140 - Fax: 505-534-3141

1. Whose PPP/PAP is the best?

I'm planning on installing some version of Linux on a Pentium computer.
I'm most concerned about getting PPP/PAP running easily, especially
after reading the problems that people have reported on this group.

My question is, whose PPP/PAP is easist to install? I'm trying to chose
between:

Redhat
Slackware
Caldera
Debian
???

Who has the best PPP? Opinions? I've heard lots of good things about
Redhat, so I'm probably leaning that way.

Rick
--

Department of Chemistry, SGM 418  http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~rmuller
University of Southern California             Office 213-740-7671

2. .forward possibilities

3. Is there a Magic Recipe for modem setup?

4. SCP/openSSH issue

5. Cookbook Recipe for Dual-Boot setup

6. IPO for VA Linux is another $1B+

7. whats best ppp setup app

8. HP DAT support

9. Best Unix for SLIP/PPP Server- Best Reliability/Cost?

10. Setup Question: I want to know the best way to setup an SMTP spooler for Exchange

11. ppp setup on 1.2.X / printer setup