Faulty download file for Solaris 9 12/03 Sparc Install Disk

Faulty download file for Solaris 9 12/03 Sparc Install Disk

Post by Jonas Olss » Sat, 13 Dec 2003 19:29:05

I am trying to download the latest Solaris 9 software installation kit
for Sparc (12/03) from Sun's download center. The first required file,
sol-9-u5-install-sparc.zip (Solaris 9 Installation CD, English), is
listed as being about 347 MB at the download site. However, when
downloading the file it is listed as only being 7 MB in size and that
is what I get, even with multiple attempts.

Looking at the acquired file it seems to have the correct file
headings according to the file command:

sol-9-u5-install-sparc.zip: Zip archive data, at least v2.0 to extract

Unsurprisingly unzip reports that the archive is missing the
end-of-central-directory signature.

Has anyone else come across this? I don't seem to have any problems
with the other download files.

  /Jonas Olsson

Post by Scott Howar » Sat, 13 Dec 2003 19:30:38

> I am trying to download the latest Solaris 9 software installation kit
> for Sparc (12/03) from Sun's download center. The first required file,
> sol-9-u5-install-sparc.zip (Solaris 9 Installation CD, English), is
> listed as being about 347 MB at the download site. However, when
> downloading the file it is listed as only being 7 MB in size and that
> is what I get, even with multiple attempts.

Are you using a proxy server?  If so, turn it off and try again.  Sometimes
files will get corrupted/truncated in proxies, and you'll see problems
exactly like this.

  Scott

Post by Rasmus Oudal Edber » Sat, 13 Dec 2003 20:34:01

> I am trying to download the latest Solaris 9 software installation kit
> for Sparc (12/03) from Sun's download center. The first required file,
> sol-9-u5-install-sparc.zip (Solaris 9 Installation CD, English), is
> listed as being about 347 MB at the download site. However, when
> downloading the file it is listed as only being 7 MB in size and that
> is what I get, even with multiple attempts.

> Looking at the acquired file it seems to have the correct file
> headings according to the file command:

> sol-9-u5-install-sparc.zip: Zip archive data, at least v2.0 to extract

> Unsurprisingly unzip reports that the archive is missing the
> end-of-central-directory signature.

> Has anyone else come across this? I don't seem to have any problems
> with the other download files.

>   /Jonas Olsson

You do not need the install cd as you can
boot from software cd1, it only lacks
the fancy installer.

Of course this does not answer your question,
but it's nice to know if you are eager to
commence the installation.

Regards,

Rasmus Oudal Edberg

<remove NOSPAM to send mail>

Post by Peter Bunclar » Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:26:59

>I am trying to download the latest Solaris 9 software installation kit
>for Sparc (12/03) from Sun's download center. The first required file,
>sol-9-u5-install-sparc.zip (Solaris 9 Installation CD, English), is
>listed as being about 347 MB at the download site. However, when
>downloading the file it is listed as only being 7 MB in size and that
>is what I get, even with multiple attempts.

>Looking at the acquired file it seems to have the correct file
>headings according to the file command:

>sol-9-u5-install-sparc.zip: Zip archive data, at least v2.0 to extract

>Unsurprisingly unzip reports that the archive is missing the
>end-of-central-directory signature.

>Has anyone else come across this? I don't seem to have any problems
>with the other download files.

>  /Jonas Olsson

I've downloaded v1 & v2 and upgraded a system with it (using jumpstart).
Don't bother with the troublesome `install' disk....

Pete.

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Sat, 13 Dec 2003 23:05:58

>I am trying to download the latest Solaris 9 software installation kit
>for Sparc (12/03) from Sun's download center. The first required file,
>sol-9-u5-install-sparc.zip (Solaris 9 Installation CD, English), is
>listed as being about 347 MB at the download site. However, when
>downloading the file it is listed as only being 7 MB in size and that
>is what I get, even with multiple attempts.

perhaps the file is corrupted; in principle you can install Solaris
without it.  (the 1of2, 2of2 and psossibly the langcd are all you really need)

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Post by fred » Fri, 26 Dec 2003 13:10:30

>>I am trying to download the latest Solaris 9 software installation kit
>>for Sparc (12/03) from Sun's download center. The first required file,
>>sol-9-u5-install-sparc.zip (Solaris 9 Installation CD, English), is
>>listed as being about 347 MB at the download site. However, when
>>downloading the file it is listed as only being 7 MB in size and that
>>is what I get, even with multiple attempts.

> perhaps the file is corrupted; in principle you can install Solaris
> without it.  (the 1of2, 2of2 and psossibly the langcd are all you really need)

> Casper

I also had the same problem.  I just kept trying on different days and
finally was able to download the file in it's entirety.

-----==  Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Faulty download file for Solaris 9 12/03 Sparc Install Disk

Post by Paul E. Ratt » Fri, 26 Dec 2003 15:30:53

Quote:> I also had the same problem.  I just kept trying on different days and
> finally was able to download the file in it's entirety.

Which is why it is highly recommended to use the download manager. This does
greatly reduce if not completely eliminate the problems with failed
downloads,

Paul

1. solaris 9 x86 12/03: scsi disk timeout

hi all,

i have an hp e200 netserver with one ide hard drive, one ata cdrom and an
adaptec aha2940 scsi controller card.

i am trying to connect an external scsi disks container to the controller card
the scsi disk container contains 4 hd:
1) nr.2 hp hard disks - 18GB
2) nr.2 hp hard disks quantum atlas - 18GB

the scsi identifications are:

4 hp hd
5 hp hd
6 quantum hd
11 quantum hd
15 aha controller, automatic terminated.

during the installation phase i get the following:

timeout: abort device, target=2 lun=0

timeout: reset target, target=2 lun=0

timeout: reset bus, target=2 lun=0

is it an hardware problem or a software problem??

if during the startup phase i get into the scsi disk utilities, i am able to
perform by using scsi disk utilities, an hard drive check and everything seems
to be working fine: so i do not really thing it's an hardware problem.

any ideas?

thanks in advance
--
giovanni casano

2. 2.4.19rc3aa3

3. Trouble installing Sun External 12-24GB 4mm DDS-3 Tape Drive on Sparc Solaris 7

4. altq help

5. Solaris 9 12/03 SMC fails with CriticalStop: javax.help.JHelp

6. tsm question??

7. Solaris 9 (x86; 12/03) GNOME game gnibbles segfaulting

8. Shutting down Aixwindows on an X120 Display Station

9. Solaris 9 12/03 Ultra 5 missing sparcv9

10. Solaris 9 CD installation (upgrade HW 12/03 to HW 9/05) issues.

11. ghostview on Solaris Freeware 12/03?

12. Solaris 9 12/02 x86 Problem Downloading

13. Need 12 plane visual video card for Solaris/Ultra Sparc