any sun network expert here to help?

Post by victor tsie » Sat, 03 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I posted this once  but it seems very few people know the answer.  I need an
expert from Sun to help.  I know you are here from time to time.  Does any
of you know whether Solaris on Sparc machines uses IEEE802.3 or xerox
ethernet standard by default?
Thanks in advance.

Victor

any sun network expert here to help?

Post by panama_su » Sat, 03 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Dear Victor,
According to the Solaris 2.x Network Administration Course,
Ethernet - IEEE 802.3 is assumed to be the LAN method unless
otherwise stated.  However, Xerox is the company that administer
the MAC address and has assigned the initial 8:0:20 to Sun
Microsystem.

I hope this help you.
panama_sun

any sun network expert here to help?

Post by Andrew Gabri » Sat, 03 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I posted this once  but it seems very few people know the answer.  I need an
>expert from Sun to help.  I know you are here from time to time.  Does any
>of you know whether Solaris on Sparc machines uses IEEE802.3 or xerox
>ethernet standard by default?

IEEE802.3 and DIX version 2 are pretty much the same, where they overlap.
Which aspects were you thinking about?

(Actually, I'm wondering if you meant IEEE802.2 verses DIX version 2, and
if so did you mean just for IP or for any protocols?)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

Post by Lon Stowe » Sat, 03 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>>I posted this once  but it seems very few people know the answer.  I need an
>>expert from Sun to help.  I know you are here from time to time.  Does any
>>of you know whether Solaris on Sparc machines uses IEEE802.3 or xerox
>>ethernet standard by default?

   Make your question more complete.

   Are you asking if Solaris uses the Ethertype for TCP/IP on
   ethernet [yes]  or are you asking about some other protocol
   stack such as SNA which also works just fine on the Solaris
   ethernet drivers.

any sun network expert here to help?

Post by Gopal » Sun, 04 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Xerox Ethernet specs include several frametypes.
Frametypes may be are standardized by IEEE
Frametypes that I know are:
802.3
802.2
802.5

So be clear in what you are looking at ?
Gopi

--
Gopala Molakaluri
Michigan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Juergen Marend » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> I posted this once  but it seems very few people know the answer.  I need an
> expert from Sun to help.  I know you are here from time to time.  Does any
> of you know whether Solaris on Sparc machines uses IEEE802.3 or xerox
> ethernet standard by default?
> Thanks in advance.

> Victor

DIX-Ethernet-II is used for IP and related protocols(ARP/RARP/ICMP
TCP/UDP/...).
However, you may also use IEEE802.3 Frames
or even _raw_ Ethernet programmatically.

Basically, the MAIN difference is that according to DEC-INTEL-XEROX
Ethernet Std.,
the first two bytes after desination-MAC and source-MAC are a
"protocol-type" Field,
while IEEE802.3 wants to have the Ethernet Packet size inserted here
(which is redundant
since the ethernet reception hardware finds this out).
Following bytes in IEEE802.3 are destination and source Service access
points (one byte each),
and one or two bytes "controll".

From this follows that the MTU for IP over 802.3 is smaller than over
DIX-2

Hope this helps,

Juergen Marenda.
--

1. help ! SUN and linux, simple network -- networking newbie

Hi, I am a networking newbie trying to build a home network connecting
SUN sparc station and Linux box. Currently SUN is stand alone, linux has
a dial-up ISDN connection to my ISP. Looking for solution to browse web
and checking emails...other internet activity, etc. through Linux as
gateway(using IP masqurading ?). I have no clue where to start from. Hub
and network cards are ready for them installed.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Thanks

ps. email preferred.

2. Xfree86 v3.1 on WD90c24 problems

3. ****NEED EXPERT NETWORK ADMIN TO HELP SET UP A SMALL TCP/IP NET****

4. E-Mail Privacy

5. need expert help with unusual multi-pc networking situation

6. test

7. ****NEED EXPERT NETWORK ADMIN TO HELP SET UP SMALL TCP/IP NET****

8. pkzip for unix

9. networking experts: routing: please help

10. Unix/Network Security Expert Sought: HELP!!!

11. Need help from Network expert:

12. BIG problems... -> network experts pleez help me!