Measuring disk throughput

Post by Vikas Agnihotr » Thu, 01 Jan 2004 01:04:37

I suspect disk bottlenecks on my E450 system (internal SCSI disks).
virtual_adrian.se from the SE toolkit keeps on screaming "Move load from
busy disks to idle disks".

I want to conclusively prove that my disks need to be upgraded, move to
RAID, etc.

How do I go about measuring disk throughput, etc? I know that a few disks
are "going slow" on me using the traditional iostat, sar, etc tools. Is it
possible for a disk to degrade over time? I thought that a disk either
works at its rated throughput or stops working. No in-between. But I can
almost swear I am seeing my disks slow down.

Thanks

1. Disk Throughput Capacity Measures

Background information:

-I am running HPUX on an HP9000 Series 800 H70.
-I have 4 Fast and Wide SCSI Disk Arrays,
 model C2430A,set for RAID5
-I am running an Oracle database.

Questions:

How do I determine the capacity of THROUGHPUT an
individual array is running at, with the unix
commands and utilities that came with the box?

Are there commands for determining the same for
a SCSI controller?

I need this information to make recommendations
for expansion.

Thanks!

Alan.

2. Compact Flash Mem for mp3 player (RCA Lyra)

3. Measure throughput external to app

4. () Pointer to Rec.Games.Computer.Doom FAQ (96/12/03)

5. measure throughput?

6. Hard Drive Corruption?????

7. AIX Hard Drive Throughput Measuring

8. Hayes Modem setup

9. Queston on iperf to measure throughput between 2 NICs

10. Q? How to measure gateway throughput

11. Throughput measure with Netpipe

12. measuring memory throughput

13. measuring throughput on firewall