Writing scalable network servers on Solaris

Writing scalable network servers on Solaris

Post by Bryan O'Sulliv » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:Bankwalla) writes:

v> I am new to the UNIX / Solaris world and was wondering if someone
v> could point me to the appropiate news groups / mailing lists / web
v> sites for writing scalable network servers on solaris.

comp.unix.programmer and comp.programming.threads are two good places
to ask general questions.  If your question is Solaris-specific, then
asking here usually elicits a useful response.

v> What are the pro's / cons of using the bsd socket interface vs the
v> TLI interface ?

If you use TLI, your code will only be portable to other systems that
support TLI (i.e. other SVR4 derivatives, and maybe a few other
systems).  Using BSD-style sockets works fine, since everyone and
their mother supports sockets, and far more people know socket
programming than know TLI programming.  As an alternative, you could
use ONC RPC, which is again supported on 99% of platforms.

v> What are the pro's / cons of using asynchronous I/O with LWP (which
v> I believe is equivalent to NT threads) vs using synchronous I/O
v> with Solaris threads ?

You don't want to deal with LWPs directly.  Use synchronous I/O and
threads instead; this makes life much easier.

        <b

--
Let us pray:
What a Great System.

Writing scalable network servers on Solaris

Post by Viraf Bankwal » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I am new to the UNIX / Solaris world and was wondering if someone
could point me to the appropiate news groups / mailing lists / web
sites for writing scalable network servers on solaris.

What are the pro's / cons of using the bsd socket interface vs the TLI
interface ?

What are the pro's / cons of using asynchronous I/O with LWP (which I
believe is equivalent to NT threads) vs using synchronous I/O with
Solaris threads ?

And many more questions to come....

Thanks.

- viraf bankwalla