ufsdump mounted partitions

Post by Pete » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

Is it possible to do a ufsdump of nfs mounted partitions.
I've heard someone mention it in passing but have never
looked further into it till now.

Thanks... Pete

ufsdump mounted partitions

Post by Gopal » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00

Yes, it allows you to dump a mounted filesystem.
Backup can be more consistent ( at times it gets us into tight spot )
when the filesystem is unmounted. But with root it works :)

Tried this ever ??
suppose: /var is a mounted file system: suppose : /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s4
you can try this:
 ufsdump 0cuf /destination-device /var/somesdir

Even if you specify a file/dir ( possible obviously in a mounted
filesytem situation) it is going to identify the filesystem it belongs
to and dumps appropriately.

Quote:> Hi all,

> Is it possible to do a ufsdump of nfs mounted partitions.
> I've heard someone mention it in passing but have never
> looked further into it till now.

> Thanks... Pete

> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also

find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.
Smart is Beautiful

--
Gopala Molakaluri
Michigan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Logan Sh » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00

>Is it possible to do a ufsdump of nfs mounted partitions.
>I've heard someone mention it in passing but have never
>looked further into it till now.

NFS-mounted filesystems don't have local devices (in /dev).  ufsdump
operates by opening the device and reading the filesystems's structure
directly from the partition.

So, you can't use ufsdump on any filesystem that doesn't have a local
device associated with it, which includes NFS filesystems and tmpfs
filesystems like /tmp.

  - Logan

Post by Chris Thomps » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00

>>Is it possible to do a ufsdump of nfs mounted partitions.
>>I've heard someone mention it in passing but have never
>>looked further into it till now.

>NFS-mounted filesystems don't have local devices (in /dev).  ufsdump
>operates by opening the device and reading the filesystems's structure
>directly from the partition.

>So, you can't use ufsdump on any filesystem that doesn't have a local
>device associated with it, which includes NFS filesystems and tmpfs
>filesystems like /tmp.

Believe it or not, ufsdump cannot be used to dump non-ufs filing systems
that *do* have an associated raw device, either (hsfs or pcfs filing
systems, for example).

There *is* a reason why it is called ufsdump... :-)

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk

ufsdump mounted partitions

Post by kulka.. » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00

Ufsdump works on inactive/unmounted filesystems, otherwise, ufsdump
will be inconsistent and recovery is impossible.  If your goal is to
have a dump of nfs mounted filesystems for future disaster recovery,
you can tar the nfs mounted partitions from the server where they are
mounted, although, i think tar won't be able to archive the snapshot
directory.  Or consider other alternatives such as using a backup
software that has a module to backup nfs files.

--er

Quote:> Hi all,

> Is it possible to do a ufsdump of nfs mounted partitions.
> I've heard someone mention it in passing but have never
> looked further into it till now.

> Thanks... Pete

> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also

find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.
Smart is Beautiful

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

ufsdump mounted partitions

Post by Gopal » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

I really liked the vxdump and vxrestore. Which I believe also allow for
dumping UFS slices. Again, for a RootFS ufsdump or a CPIO can be an
ideal situation.

Gopi

Quote:> Hi all,

> Is it possible to do a ufsdump of nfs mounted partitions.
> I've heard someone mention it in passing but have never
> looked further into it till now.

> Thanks... Pete

> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also

find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.
Smart is Beautiful

--
Gopala Molakaluri
Michigan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. HELP: Can not mount UFS partitions - too many partitions

While installing a Ultra 2 with a disk array I ran in the error
    'Can not mount - too many partitions' (not exact wording)

I have seen this before and solved it but I don't remember how?
I have RTFM but will read it again if someone can tell give me
a man page or a URL.

Technical details:
   Running Solaris 5.5.1/Hardware 11/97 on an UltraSparc 2
      with 2x300 Mhz cpus
   A 4 GB internal drive
        1 GB root parition (no /usr, /opt or /var)
        a large swap partition and the rest as /export/home
   A 4x9GB external SCSI disk array with (currently)
     5 1 GB partitions on 1 of the external hard drives.

Ideally I would want the option of dividing each of the external
hard drives into 8 one-GB partitions, with some automounted (at
least 20 partitions) and the rest mounted as needed.

I thought it had something to do with one of the kernel or system
parameters but I may be wrong.

-

2. X/midi/modem

3. 250G partition - can't mount it (partition & format good)

4. HP Pavilion 8776 networking

5. What partition sysid is OK for extended DOS partition mount?

6. start an LPI study group in Houston,TX

7. part 2/2 of: running ufsdump under "script ufsdump.log"

8. program name

9. how do i mount an extended dos partition or a dos logical partition ?

10. Solaris 8 ufsdump much slower than Solaris 7 ufsdump

11. Mounting ext2fs partitions in an extended partition

12. Why so many ufsdump processes after I type "ufsdump 0f /dev/null /"?

13. Re-partitioning disk with mounted partitions ?