how to remove a lock from a locked file?

how to remove a lock from a locked file?

Post by W.R.Vo » Sun, 21 Aug 1994 00:30:35

I would like to lock files to allow multiple access
across a network of Decs and Suns, etc. I figure that
the fcntl call would be best since it does allow
NFS locking for both read and write. I have a small
program that tests the locking and for the most part
it works just fine. The problem that I'm having is
when I interrupt the program with a control/C. Is
stops but does not appear to release the lock. This
occurs in several other ways too. (quitting dbx while
a lock is in effect does it, seg faults, etc). I need
the lock to be released when the pgm terminates. I know
the man pages says that the lock is released, but the
next time I start the program, it waits for a lock
and never returns. I have to delete the file to release
the lock. The behaviour is the same on both Dec/Ultrix
4.2A and SunOs Sc2.0.1 so it doesn't appear to be a bug
in the OS (but maybe).

Does anyone out there in netland have an idea on why
this is occurring.

All your help is appreciated.

--

======================
Bill Volz

1. netscape rpm from compaq + my box = lock lock lock

  I've been having some wierd lockups with the netscape rpm that compaq
released for linux alpha. I'm running a pc164 with two tulip cards in it,
with pppoe. Every once in awhile, I'll crank up netscape and look at a
site only to have my machine lock up amazingly tight. Has anyone seen this
before?

--
---
Eric Jones

  If you can't figure out what to remove in the above addy to email me, then
you are a cephalopod.
  Here's a few email addresses to help out the spammers:

IS YOUR INTERNET BROKED? DOES EMAILING THE NETSCAPE SYSOP NOT FIX IT?

2. Help: Lioncom (Conexant) ADSL modem under Linux Mandrake 9.0

3. Modem TX and RX status via Num Lock-Caps Lock-Scroll Lock

4. snmpdx: error while recieving pdu

5. More mail file locking questions (lockf, NFS, /var/spool/mail/*.lock)

6. Answer: Power-Saving Mode in XFREE86

7. Locked files - who has it locked?

8. dosemu drivers for matrox

9. "Can't read lock file /tmp/.X0-lock"

10. modem locked but I can't find the lock file

11. Apache: Cannot open lock file: /usr/logs/httpd.lock.10064

12. Fatal Server Error: Could not create lock file in /tmp/.tX0-lock???

13. remove() call and file lock