FTP vs. RLOGIN

Post by Steve K » Sun, 25 Dec 1994 03:20:14

> We want to give less than 10 users a place on our SunSparc station (using
> Solaris 2.3) a place to drop off their html documents.  We want them to be
> able to write to that space, read and delete from there.  Also we want each
> individual to have a separate account.

> Would the best approach to be for them to just 'ftp' to their account and not
> rlogin?  We dont want the user to be able to move from the directory they
> start in (for example /home/research).   Is this possible?

> Any ideas, comments, please email them to me........

> Thanks for your comments.

> Robert Dennis

> (804) 225-2616
> http://www.schev.edu

Give them the restricted shell, as supplied with Solaris 2.3.
--
Steve Kay                   Tech Support: VME, UNIX, DOS, WINDOWS
Mirrlees Blackstone Ltd     Tel  :  0161 483 1000 Ext 2331

Stockport                   "Build a system any idiot can use and only
SK7 5AH                      an idiot will want to use it".
<These are my own views and not those of my employer>

FTP vs. RLOGIN

Post by Luca Po » Fri, 30 Dec 1994 17:34:23

>We want to give less than 10 users a place on our SunSparc station (using
>Solaris 2.3) a place to drop off their html documents.  We want them to be
>able to write to that space, read and delete from there.  Also we want each
>individual to have a separate account.

A way to do this via ftp is to use wu-ftpd 2.4 and to define a bunch of guest
users, each with, e.g., /bin/false as their shell (add it to /etc/shells) and
home dir. under a chroot-ed environment like that for anonymous ftp. Each
guest user can (if you want) upload/download files with their own permission/
owner/group, but none can go everywhere in the system...

Another way is to use restricted shell (/usr/lib/rsh), but there are always
many ways to bypass its limitations... at least, a chroot-ed environment is
by far more secure.

Regards,
Luca Polo.
--
+-----------------------------------------++---------------------------+

| address and phone numbers)              || Universita` di Padova.    |

1. FTP vs. RLOGIN

We want to give less than 10 users a place on our SunSparc station (using
Solaris 2.3) a place to drop off their html documents.  We want them to be
able to write to that space, read and delete from there.  Also we want each
individual to have a separate account.

Would the best approach to be for them to just 'ftp' to their account and not
rlogin?  We dont want the user to be able to move from the directory they
start in (for example /home/research).   Is this possible?

Any ideas, comments, please email them to me........

Thanks for your comments.

Robert Dennis

(804) 225-2616
http://www.schev.edu

2. Remote Security

3. Perfomance: tar vs ftp vs rsync vs cp vs ?

4. newbie startx question

5. telnet vs. rsh vs. rlogin ???

6. SMBFS kernel module

7. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

8. Looking for Madge Token Ring Driver

9. Slackware vs SuSE vs Debian vs Redhat vs ....

10. telnet vs. rlogin

11. rlogin vs. telnet ?

12. rlogin vs su

13. rlogin vs. telnet - How do they differ?