Creating mirrored machine with "ufsdump and ufsrestore"

Creating mirrored machine with "ufsdump and ufsrestore"

Post by Carlo Glinetz » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

        Hi,
I want to copy all Filesystems from one machine to a second via
ufsdump and ufsrestore from unmounted filesystems, but i'm not familar
with these commands, can someone help me?
my OS is solaris 2.5.1
i thought about something like:
ufsdump [someparameters] /dev/vx/rdsk/vg1/first_part | rsh
"newmachine" ufsrestore [someparameters] /dev/vx/rdsk/vg1/first_part
if i'm right, just tell me something about "someparameters"

Thanx in advance

Post by Christian Loren » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>         Hi,
> I want to copy all Filesystems from one machine to a second via
> ufsdump and ufsrestore from unmounted filesystems, but i'm not familar
> with these commands, can someone help me?
> my OS is solaris 2.5.1
> i thought about something like:
> ufsdump [someparameters] /dev/vx/rdsk/vg1/first_part | rsh
> "newmachine" ufsrestore [someparameters] /dev/vx/rdsk/vg1/first_part
> if i'm right, just tell me something about "someparameters"

> Thanx in advance

For the ufsdump command use [someparameters] = 0f -

For the ufsrestore command use [someparameters] = rf -

The respective man pages will explain what the options mean.

CL

Post by Arran Pric » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>         Hi,
> I want to copy all Filesystems from one machine to a second via
> ufsdump and ufsrestore from unmounted filesystems, but i'm not familar
> with these commands, can someone help me?
> my OS is solaris 2.5.1
> i thought about something like:
> ufsdump [someparameters] /dev/vx/rdsk/vg1/first_part | rsh
> "newmachine" ufsrestore [someparameters] /dev/vx/rdsk/vg1/first_part
> if i'm right, just tell me something about "someparameters"

> Thanx in advance

man ufsdump and ufsrestore
theres an example to exactly what you want (cut'n'paste'able)
use hostname:/directory as the format for dumping onto the other device

Hope that helps

Arran
My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of my company.