automounter not reading nis map

Post by Craig Y » Fri, 06 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I'm having a problem where the automounter is not reading the nis map.
My current configuration on a test machine is as follows.

/etc/nsswitch.conf:
automount: nis files

/etc/auto_master:
+auto_master

The configuration above won't read auto_master from the nis server.  However,
if I edit /etc/auto_master and insert /home as the following:

/etc/auto_master:
+auto_master
/home    auto_home

automounter will read the nis map auto_home.

It seems as though automounter will read all the auto_* maps except for
auto_master.  Any thoughts or ideas?  You can email me if this question
has been asked sometime before.

Thanks in advance,
craig

Systems Programmer
Department of Computer Science & Engineering, Florida Atlantic University

1. Automounter ignores NIS maps

I have the following entry in /etc/nsswitch.conf:

        automount:  files nis

My /etc/auto_master file looks like this:

        #+auto_master
        /net            -hosts          -nosuid
        /home           auto_home       -noac
        /local          /etc/auto_local -ro
        /-              /etc/auto_direct        -ro

As long as /etc/auto_home exists, the home directories mount fine, but
when I remove the file (and run automount), the home directories no longer
mount.  There is an NIS map called `auto.home'.  Answerbook claims that
the automounter will look for both auto_home and auto.home NIS maps,
but it seems not to do so.

Has anyone else gotten this to work?  I'm running Solaris 2.4 with the
latest patches.  The NIS servers are running 4.1.3.

--
-Gary Mills-          -Unix Support-           -U of M Computer Services-

2. No color with su

3. 2.5 Automounter and NIS map

4. need advice on 2nd hand (ultra)sparc workstation

5. amd and automounter nis-maps

6. ptrace

7. AMD automounter and NIS maps? anyone done it?

8. LINUX ODBC

9. AMD automounter & Sun's NIS maps

10. autofs-type NIS automounter maps

11. NIS+ and auto_direct automounter's map

12. automounter amd with NIS automount maps

13. Problem with Automounter Maps (NIS+)