repairing failed drive

Post by anon » Fri, 10 Mar 2006 00:06:29

i am testing recovery from a failed drive when the system's been mirrored
using the meta commands.. this is in a sun v880.  I had mirrored
c1t0d0-c1t1d0 and used slices from c1t4d0 for hot spares.  All that worked
as expected.  The problem is that in the sun classes i took, they never went
over how to get back to where we started, & that is where i'm having
problems.

I pulled drive c1t0d0.  It booted fine from c1t1d0 since i had the
'boot-device' variable set to 'disk backup_root' and had an alias defined
for backup_root.

but now that i've put a new blank drive in as c1t0d0, the system seems to
have set itself back to 'boot disk' only & won't boot.

also, where can i find any documentation on how to get back, so that c1t4d0
has hot spare slices & c1t0d0-c1t1d0 are mirrored again?  do i metadetach
the submirrors that are hot spares?

thanks

repairing failed drive

Post by j.goe.. » Fri, 10 Mar 2006 00:18:11

[c1t0d0 replaced]

ok boot backup_root

then login as root and copy the fstab from c1t1d0 to c1t0d0 by
naming the disk label in format and then selecting that named
label for the new disk.

Afterwards you've got the correct slices and can start the
appropriate resynchs:

metastat | grep metareplace

tells you which slices to sync, with a slightly different syntax:

metareplace -e d0 c1t0d0s0

resynchs that slice in place.

HTH,
Jens
--
Jens Goerke, mobilcom Server Systeme
Postadresse: Mobilcom, Hollerstr. 126, 24782 Buedelsdorf

1. My E310 drive failed, anybody know a good repair depot?

Well, yesterday one of my E310 drives failed.  Of course it failed
when I was not around.  I came back home to a c6-05 blinking in the
display, and when I tried to re-boot, the boot halted with a 26
(IPL in progress).

After doing some checking and diagnostics, I have found that my boot
drive has quietly expired and won't answer to the diagnostics.
Further investigation upon opening the case revealed the reason:
The FAN in the upper drive bay had failed, and was not running!
The top drive in bay C, where I had AIX 2.2.1 installed to, was very hot!
It was not so hot that I could not touch the drive, but it was very
uncomfortable to hold and remove from the case.

Even after leaving things off for a while, checking all the cabling and
reinstalling the drive, the drive will not respond.  Most likely the
heat has fried the electronics on the drive.

So... Has anybody had any good luck with repair facilities on drives?
How much does it cost?
The drive has an IBM sticker, but it is also plastered with MAXTOR
labels with what looks like a XT-4380E marked out, and series code 1,
plus TLA, HDA and PCBA numbers readable.

Can these repair places repair the electonics and leave the drive
alone? Or can they recover the data?  While it is not a critical loss,
I have about half of the lost information available in printouts and on
floppies.  Some information that I had been storing is now lost.
Natch I had not made any recent backups and my mail logs and correspondence
to some of my net friends has now been lost, along with some of my RT notes
I was collecting and preparing for making a FAQ list with.

I had just been remarking to my wife that I needed to make some backups,
wonder why these things fail BEFORE you have a chance to do these mundane
lifesavers?  Critical Mass detectors mabey? :-)

Thanks for any pointers/advice.
Later,
markw
--
Mark Whetzel                          | My own RT system.. My own thoughts..

UUCP ..!menudo!lobster!antimatr!markw |

2. OpenGL for Sun?

3. Help repairing Redhat 7.1 -- How can I repair the superblock?

4. Permanently set Default Gateway on MkLinux DR3?

5. Format fails to repair block...

6. 1 * QdqtueTef-Using RH6 as an internet gateway?

7. Repairing failed metadevices

8. Ethernet interface problem

9. Hard Disk Drive Repair (ADVERT)

10. Testing a Drive after a repair

11. DiskSuite repair after drive failures

12. Hard Drive Repair

13. Repair failure for IDE hard drive on Solaris 8 (Intel)