a damn newbie question - accessing the CDROM

a damn newbie question - accessing the CDROM

Post by dumb_a » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 12:34:45

I've been given a sun box (Solaris 7) although I am new to the UNIX
OSs.  I am having trouble accessing the CDROM drive. Looking through
the docs, it suggests the CDROM is mount already. However, there is no
/cdrom/cdrom0 and the "open cdrom" button in the windows interface
doesnt do anything.
1. How can I go about troubleshooting/fixing this, so the CDROM is
properly mounted.
2. What is a good refernce for these sorts of issues (ie books or web
sites)

much appreciated for spending your time reading this (embarassingly)
newbie post.

cheers

Post by Logan Sh » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 13:02:29

>1. How can I go about troubleshooting/fixing this, so the CDROM is
>properly mounted.

Normally, as you say, the CD-ROM should be mounted automatically after
it's inserted.  If not, the most likely cause is that removeable volume
manager, vold, has been disabled or configured to ignore the CD-ROM
drive.

To determine if this is the case, try these commands:

        ps -ef | grep vold
        grep cdrom /etc/vold.conf

On an unaltered system, the first should show "/usr/sbin/vold" running.
The second should show one "use" and one "label" line.

Quote:>2. What is a good refernce for these sorts of issues (ie books or web
>sites)

http://docs.sun.com/ has a lot of useful information.  There is also a
Solaris FAQ at http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html .

  - Logan
--
"In order to be prepared to hope in what does not deceive,
 we must first lose hope in everything that deceives."

                                          Georges Bernanos

a damn newbie question - accessing the CDROM

Post by Michael Austi » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 12:55:45

Quote:> I've been given a sun box (Solaris 7) although I am new to the UNIX
> OSs.  I am having trouble accessing the CDROM drive. Looking through
> the docs, it suggests the CDROM is mount already. However, there is no
> /cdrom/cdrom0 and the "open cdrom" button in the windows interface
> doesnt do anything.
> 1. How can I go about troubleshooting/fixing this, so the CDROM is
> properly mounted.
> 2. What is a good refernce for these sorts of issues (ie books or web
> sites)

> much appreciated for spending your time reading this (embarassingly)
> newbie post.

> cheers

If vold is not running via rc scripts, you can start volume management by
typing the following command: /etc/init.d/volmgt start

This will mount your cdrom automatically.

Michael Austin

Post by Mark Danie » Tue, 11 Dec 2001 06:25:06

I've been given a sun box (Solaris 7) although I am new to the UNIX
OSs. I am having trouble accessing the CDROM drive. Looking through
the docs, it suggests the CDROM is mount already. However, there is no
/cdrom/cdrom0 and the "open cdrom" button in the windows interface
doesnt do anything.
1. How can I go about troubleshooting/fixing this, so the CDROM is
properly mounted.
2. What is a good refernce for these sorts of issues (ie books or web
sites)

Much appreciated for spending your time reading this (embarassingly)
newbie post.

Cheers

If vold is not running via rc scripts, you can start volume management
by
typing the following command: /etc/init. d/volmgt start

This will mount your cdrom automatically.

VOLD is a good place to start.
The following are two examples of how to mount the cdrom manually.
mount -r /dev/sr0 /cdrom      (sr0 is the default cdrom in solaris)
mount -F hsfs -o ro /dev/sr0 /cdrom

Hope that helps,

Mark

1. Damn cron/xauth (or damn me)...

I start X as non-root (mike).  I have a crontab (root's) to start a script
in ~/root.  I want that csh script (root's) to execute a couple X apps.
So I found a tip to point root's XAUTH* var to /home/mike/.Xauth*.  If I
add the XAUTH* env to root's dot file (csh) and start a term I can start
xedit (example) no problem (and if I don't add the var I get Xlib errs as
expected).  But I can't get the same thing to work from root's crontab.

In root's crontab I've tried:

*export XAUTHORITY=/home/mike/.Xauthority; env > /root/cron_env*
(and *XAUTHORITY=/home/mike/.Xauthority; export; env > /root/cron_env*)

and I get:

PWD=/root
XAUTHORITY=/home/mike/.Xauthority
etc.

I added a cat to the crontab to see if it's readable to cron and it is.  I
also added:

setenv XAUTHORITY /home/mike/.Xauthority

to the start of the csh script root's crontab is calling.  But it will not
start the X apps.  (Redirecting stderr) I always get:

Error: Can't open display:

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

What is going on?  Or better yet, can someone tell me what to change in
root's crontab (or root's csh script) to get this working?

Thanks...

Mike
--

------------------------

  Help Wanted: Psychic.  You know where to apply.

2. ESDI HD (how?) & experience w/Wantek 5525ES

3. Damn Mandrake! Damn rpmfind!

4. Linux 2.4?

5. Newbie Quesion: CDROM access error- case of permission??!!

6. RealServer and Apache

7. Newbie: Access of Cdrom Tape & FDD

8. Wine

9. Newbie - CDROM Access

10. Damn! I have a PIONEER CDROM.

11. Help: Can't access my CDROM, but can access my second CDR

12. SOLUTION (and question): Giving users access to CDROM

13. Newbie Question: Mount CDROM