changing a users shell

Post by Mamoon Rez » Sat, 06 May 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

Can anybody tell me if there is a command in solaris which will allow me
change the login shell of a user. Also how do I find out all the available
shells. I know that BSD has a file called /etc/shells and the command chsh
which chages a users shell. Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Mamoon

changing a users shell

Post by Joe Durusa » Sat, 06 May 2000 04:00:00

man usermod

The file /etc/shells must list all valid shells, and will need to
be edited beforehand.

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau

> Hello,

> Can anybody tell me if there is a command in solaris which will allow me
> change the login shell of a user. Also how do I find out all the available
> shells. I know that BSD has a file called /etc/shells and the command chsh
> which chages a users shell. Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

> Regards,

> Mamoon

changing a users shell

Post by lmack.. » Sat, 06 May 2000 04:00:00

A standard Solaris install will have at least these shells.  Bourne (bs)
Korn (ksh) and C shell (csh).  You can add more like BASH or tcsh.
These you will have to put on the system yourself.  As for a file that
lists these, Unknown.  To change the shell:

Switch to root
edit the passwd file
the end of the passwd entry per user will have thier shell simply change
that too what you want.  It has been a while but I think you can change
the shell using "admintool" and double click on the name or select
modify from the menu bar.

Quote:> Hello,

> Can anybody tell me if there is a command in solaris which will allow
me
> change the login shell of a user. Also how do I find out all the
available
> shells. I know that BSD has a file called /etc/shells and the command
chsh
> which chages a users shell. Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

> Regards,

> Mamoon

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

changing a users shell

Post by hume.spamfil.. » Sat, 06 May 2000 04:00:00

> Switch to root
> edit the passwd file
> the end of the passwd entry per user will have thier shell simply change

Bad, bad, bad.  usermod exists for a reason.

        usermod -s <shell> <loginname>

--
Brandon Hume    - hume -> BOFH.Halifax.NS.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Halifax.NS.Ca/
                       -> Solaris Snob and general NOCMonkey

changing a users shell

Post by lmack.. » Sat, 06 May 2000 04:00:00

Hey since you want to criticize me soo much why dont you try and answer
the Remote Backup question I posted.

> > Switch to root
> > edit the passwd file
> > the end of the passwd entry per user will have thier shell simply
change

> Bad, bad, bad.  usermod exists for a reason.

>    usermod -s <shell> <loginname>

> --
> Brandon Hume    - hume -> BOFH.Halifax.NS.Ca,

http://WWW.BOFH.Halifax.NS.Ca/

Quote:>                        -> Solaris Snob and general NOCMonkey

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

changing a users shell

Post by hume.spamfil.. » Sat, 06 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hey since you want to criticize me soo much why dont you try and answer
> the Remote Backup question I posted.

Terribly sorry.  Next time I won't say anything when you encourage newbies
to edit sensitive critical files incorrectly.

--

Post by scot » Sat, 06 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hello,

> Can anybody tell me if there is a command in solaris which will allow me
> change the login shell of a user. Also how do I find out all the available
> shells. I know that BSD has a file called /etc/shells and the command chsh
> which chages a users shell. Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

> Regards,

> Mamoon

The following works for Solaris 8 x86.
I'm assuming a user John wants to change from sh to ksh.
As root, enter:  # passwd -e John
You will see something like:
     Old shell: /bin/sh
     New shell:

Enter John's new shell (e.g. /bin/ksh)
Done. Man passwd for more details.

changing a users shell

Post by Xiaox » Sun, 07 May 2000 04:00:00

I don't agree with you. It is simply beyond the scope of view of this
news group. I think you should say sorry to the other party. Don't flame
futher.
Thomas.

> Hey since you want to criticize me soo much why dont you try and answer
> the Remote Backup question I posted.

> > > Switch to root
> > > edit the passwd file
> > > the end of the passwd entry per user will have thier shell simply
> change

> > Bad, bad, bad.  usermod exists for a reason.

> > usermod -s <shell> <loginname>

> > --
> > Brandon Hume    - hume -> BOFH.Halifax.NS.Ca,
> http://WWW.BOFH.Halifax.NS.Ca/
> >                        -> Solaris Snob and general NOCMonkey

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

changing a users shell

Post by Bruc » Tue, 09 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello,

> Can anybody tell me if there is a command in solaris which will allow
me
> change the login shell of a user. Also how do I find out all the
available
> shells. I know that BSD has a file called /etc/shells and the command
chsh
> which chages a users shell. Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

> Regards,

> Mamoon

The user can change their own shell within Solaris 2.6 through the
following command.

For user to change his NIS account shell:

host% passwd -r nis -e
Enter login(NIS) password:
Old shell: /bin/csh
New shell: /bin/ksh

--
Bruce
UNIX Systems Administrator

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

changing a users shell

Post by Gopal » Tue, 09 May 2000 04:00:00

We are all here ( including those Gurus' ) to share and help eachother.
And no one is complete. So if you know be gentle. If you dont learn it.
Dont ever push anyone around. We can always make out if anyone is
intentionally casuing nuissance.

We all have learnt like this. Just recall.

Gopi
A Schollar knows what he has to learn still. A Clown does not.
One tends to get more noble and humble with more learning, not
arrogant.

--
Gopala Molakaluri
Michigan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. User changing login shell? (/etc/shells?)

Is there any mechanism for users changing their login shell in Sol2?
Haven't found it.  There's no /etc/shells file, either... how does FTP
know if the login shell is valid?  And the admintool's user editor
lists csh, sh, and ksh... can this be edited to add other shells?
I'd like to have tcsh/bash as choices there (I'm setting up a system
that someone else will be administering.)

2. XF86Config file for Dell Laptop Display

3. User changing shell with NIS+

4. Help me: I can get my linux to talk over ethernet

5. Changing users Shell!!

6. My balls itch IS A VIRUS!!!!

7. Help on Changing user and executing commands using shell script

8. PA-RISC version of Linux?

9. How to change shell in passwd as user ?

10. Changing user within shell script

11. How can users change shell

12. xdm login not picking up changes to users shell

13. Can't Change user's shell.