Question: How to replace standard mouse with serial mouse via RS232

Question: How to replace standard mouse with serial mouse via RS232

Post by Roy » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Please, I need some help on the following matter:

I want to replace the standard mouse connected to the standard mouse
port of the keyboard with a serial mouse via RS232. The system I use is
a SparcStation 20 running Solaris 2.4. The mouse supports 'Mouse
systems' and 'Microsoft serial mouse' formats.

Can somebody tell me how I can configure the mouse?
Do I need a special driver?
Which device types must be defined?

Thanks in advance,

Roy van Reijsen

Post by Pete Zaitce » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> I want to replace the standard mouse connected to the standard mouse
> port of the keyboard with a serial mouse via RS232. The system I use is
> a SparcStation 20 running Solaris 2.4. The mouse supports 'Mouse
> systems' and 'Microsoft serial mouse' formats.

This is possible. Downlowad 'rat' from the URL given below and enjoy.

http://www.metabyte.com/~zaitcev/Solaris_DD/rat_14.tar.Z

I used to maintain rat on SunSite, look in /incoming and
/pub/sun-info/admin-tools.

BTW, I use ALPS Glidepopint.

P.S. I started a contract work at Sun recently
and discovered that many engineers here at Sun use some kind of hardware
adapter to connect all sorts of trackballs and in-natural keyboards.
Too pity I never knew about it, it might save me some kernel hackery.

--Pete

1. CDE & MOUSE: *must* disable "pasting" via-mouse (GD MFing ShEing MOUSE!)

This GD mouse is driving me crazy, even causing disasters.

I do the internet via a shell-acct, connetcted to via
a dtterm and kermit.

I often use the mouse to "blacken" some text from the
internet, hit the "copy" key, hit the "front" key to get
emacs in front of me, and then either "y" (or hit the
"paste" key), thus inserting that grabbed-text into
an emacs buffer.

Wonderful -- works fine.

Except if my fingers slip on the mouse (which I am usually
*not* holding) and instead of doing a "copy", it somehow
ends doing some horrendously-long "paste" of who knows
what --

and usually at that point  I'm in either mutt, reading mail,
deleting spam, etc, or in trn browsing newsgroups --

and all that inserted garbage invariably contains plenty
of things that look like commands to that program,
and the screen shows trn or mutt just doing all kind
of horrible things -- in mutt, it's unrecoverable (with
trn, you can go back to the prior .newsrc, doing which
has its own set of problems.)

Anyway, this happens way too often (well, once is too
often), and the only fix I can think of is to disable
the ability to "paste" via a mouse-click (leaving me
the paste-key for that).

There seems to be a jillion of these .dt* files that
let you change one thing or another.

Is there a way to disable the paste-part of the mouse's
behavior?

(I sure hope so!)

Thank you!

David

3. Simple question: Standard Mouse Systems mouse PLEASE HELP!

4. USB Wireless

5. How to emulate a 3-button mouse with a standard Apple mouse?

6. cserve

7. My standard serial microsoft mouse refuses to work

8. Three-button mouse via mouse port?

9. gpm: PS/2 mouse and serial mouse

10. PS/2 Mouse erratic, Serial Mouse OK. Why?

11. serial mouse at X (I can't find mouse driver)

12. USB/PS2/Serial mouses? Mouse performance?