Solaris 9: no Serial Number for non SUN sd hardware

Solaris 9: no Serial Number for non SUN sd hardware

Post by Ulrich Clemen » Tue, 16 Dec 2003 18:57:05

Hi,

we figured out, that the serial number of a sd disk isn't available, if the
hardware is not from SUN. This check is done in the sd driver by comparing
the inquiry data against the Vendor SUN.
Is there a bypass for this check of the inquiry data, to get the serial
number?

Thanks a lot,

Uli

Post by Shivakanth Mundr » Tue, 16 Dec 2003 21:28:12

> Hi,

> we figured out, that the serial number of a sd disk isn't available, if the
> hardware is not from SUN. This check is done in the sd driver by comparing
> the inquiry data against the Vendor SUN.
> Is there a bypass for this check of the inquiry data, to get the serial
> number?

> Thanks a lot,

> Uli

Have you tried iostat -En?

snip on one of my host

c3t2d0          Soft Errors: 4 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
Vendor: FUJITSU  Product: MAJ3182M SUN18G  Revision: 0804 Serial No:
03P32662
Size: 18.11GB <18110967808 bytes>
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
Illegal Request: 4 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
c3t3d0          Soft Errors: 4 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
Vendor: FUJITSU  Product: MAJ3182M SUN18G  Revision: 0804 Serial No:
03P33127
Size: 18.11GB <18110967808 bytes>
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
Illegal Request: 4 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
c3t4d0          Soft Errors: 4 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
Vendor: SEAGATE  Product: ST318203LSUN18G  Revision: 034A Serial No:
LR30479200001008
Size: 18.11GB <18110967808 bytes>
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
Illegal Request: 4 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

Shivakanth

Post by Scott Howar » Tue, 16 Dec 2003 21:42:27

> we figured out, that the serial number of a sd disk isn't available, if the
> hardware is not from SUN. This check is done in the sd driver by comparing
> the inquiry data against the Vendor SUN.

Not at all.  Solaris will return the serial number as returned by a
SCSI inquiry command.  Most hardware returns a serial number here, some
(generally non-standard) things don't.

  Scott.

Post by Beard » Tue, 16 Dec 2003 22:11:34

>> Hi,

>> we figured out, that the serial number of a sd disk isn't available,
>> if the
>> hardware is not from SUN. This check is done in the sd driver by
>> comparing
>> the inquiry data against the Vendor SUN.
>> Is there a bypass for this check of the inquiry data, to get the serial
>> number?

>> Thanks a lot,

>> Uli

> Have you tried iostat -En?

> snip on one of my host

> c3t2d0          Soft Errors: 4 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
> Vendor: FUJITSU  Product: MAJ3182M SUN18G  Revision: 0804 Serial No:
> 03P32662
> Size: 18.11GB <18110967808 bytes>
> Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
> Illegal Request: 4 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
> c3t3d0          Soft Errors: 4 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
> Vendor: FUJITSU  Product: MAJ3182M SUN18G  Revision: 0804 Serial No:
> 03P33127
> Size: 18.11GB <18110967808 bytes>
> Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
> Illegal Request: 4 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
> c3t4d0          Soft Errors: 4 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
> Vendor: SEAGATE  Product: ST318203LSUN18G  Revision: 034A Serial No:
> LR30479200001008
> Size: 18.11GB <18110967808 bytes>
> Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
> Illegal Request: 4 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

> Shivakanth

This unfortunately does not help the OP (i'm  sure he has tried iostat).
All of your disks have Sun product details, and thus return serial
numbers. In my config, I have a mix of disks - the Sun products return
serial numbers, the non-Sun do not.

I unfortunately cannot get scsiinfo to build under S9 or Express, so
cannot try that :-(

Solaris 9: no Serial Number for non SUN sd hardware

Post by Ulrich Clemen » Tue, 16 Dec 2003 22:22:56

Hi again,

 I tried this with iostat -En,  too, my output is ok for Solaris 8, but on
Solaris 9 the Serial No. is missing:

SunOS erld130x 5.9 Generic_112233-10 sun4us sparc FJSV,GPUZC-L
c0t0d0 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0

Vendor: FUJITSU Product: MAP3735NC Revision: 3701 Serial No:

Size: 73.49GB <73494536192 bytes>

Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0

Illegal Request: 0 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

c1t0d0 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0

Vendor: FUJITSU Product: MAP3735NC Revision: 3701 Serial No:

Size: 73.49GB <73494536192 bytes>

Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0

Illegal Request: 0 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

Bye,
Uli

> > Hi,

> > we figured out, that the serial number of a sd disk isn't available, if
the
> > hardware is not from SUN. This check is done in the sd driver by
comparing
> > the inquiry data against the Vendor SUN.
> > Is there a bypass for this check of the inquiry data, to get the serial
> > number?

> > Thanks a lot,

> > Uli

> Have you tried iostat -En?

> snip on one of my host

> c3t2d0          Soft Errors: 4 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
> Vendor: FUJITSU  Product: MAJ3182M SUN18G  Revision: 0804 Serial No:
> 03P32662
> Size: 18.11GB <18110967808 bytes>
> Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
> Illegal Request: 4 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
> c3t3d0          Soft Errors: 4 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
> Vendor: FUJITSU  Product: MAJ3182M SUN18G  Revision: 0804 Serial No:
> 03P33127
> Size: 18.11GB <18110967808 bytes>
> Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
> Illegal Request: 4 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
> c3t4d0          Soft Errors: 4 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
> Vendor: SEAGATE  Product: ST318203LSUN18G  Revision: 034A Serial No:
> LR30479200001008
> Size: 18.11GB <18110967808 bytes>
> Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
> Illegal Request: 4 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

> Shivakanth

1. running non-login program on serial port A no Sun Blade 150 / Solaris 8

I'm trying to collect data from a remote device which is able
to dial out and spit out lines of text, but can't be told how
to log into things.

I'm attempting to receive this information by connecting a modem
to the serial port of a Sun Blade 150. I was hoping I'd just
need to tell admintool to run my program instead of /bin/login
on this serial port, but this doesn't seem to be enough.

The modem sees the call coming in, and ps -e shows my program running
on term A. My program is written in perl, in case this matters.

Is there some obvious basic mistake I'm making here? (I've tried
various combinations of options in the "expert" mode of sysadmin's
serial ports screen, and the modem is set to auto-answer.)

Things seem closer to working when /bin/login is the service than
when my program is. I've already looked on deja and google for
stuff about this, and there's plenty out there, mostly though
not entirely about running login on the port.

I'm sure this kind of setup must be common enough for there
to be something I can refer to. Pointers would be most welcome.

--
Adam Atkinson

2. Moving server and Changing IP address over SSH!!

3. firmware serial number and physical disk serial number

4. StarOffice still #1 on amazon.com

5. How can I tuning Max process number and open file number on Sun Solaris 7(Intel)???

6. Can't mount NFS

7. Non-proprietry hardware with Sun SPARC boxes

8. HOW TO SET UP A BACKGROUND IMAGE IN X!

9. Changing Serial Nos using 'brand'

10. Hardware/software serial numbers

11. hardware serial numbers

12. Hardware Serial Number?

13. Trying to put a Sun serial port into non-canonical mode