Solaris10 MySql installation problem

Post by shan_r.. » Thu, 18 May 2006 18:42:22

Hi Group,
I installed Solaris 10 on a Pentium machine after downloading it from
Sun's site. Then i
came to know that MySql comes bundled with Solaris 10. So i installed
MySql which came with the Solaris 10. Then i checked the version of the
MySql i installed using mysqlcheck -V and the version shown was 4.0.24.
I wanted the latest version of MySql (5.0) to be installed in the
Pentium machine. So i downloaded the
mysql-max-5.0.21-solaris10-i386.pkg.gz and installed it as before and
started the MySql server. Again i checked the version and it is still
4.0.24 instead of showing  5.0.21. I dont know what went wrong. The
reason i wanted the latest version of MySql is to use the MySql
cluster.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Shan

Post by Richard B. Gilber » Thu, 18 May 2006 20:54:52

> Hi Group,
> I installed Solaris 10 on a Pentium machine after downloading it from
> Sun's site. Then i
> came to know that MySql comes bundled with Solaris 10. So i installed
> MySql which came with the Solaris 10. Then i checked the version of the
> MySql i installed using mysqlcheck -V and the version shown was 4.0.24.
> I wanted the latest version of MySql (5.0) to be installed in the
> Pentium machine. So i downloaded the
> mysql-max-5.0.21-solaris10-i386.pkg.gz and installed it as before and
> started the MySql server. Again i checked the version and it is still
> 4.0.24 instead of showing  5.0.21. I dont know what went wrong. The
> reason i wanted the latest version of MySql is to use the MySql
> cluster.
> Thanks in advance.
> Cheers
> Shan

The two versions of mysql are almost certainly installed in different
locations and your path is still pointing to the old one (first or only)
  The Sun package was probably installed in /opt.  The one you
downloaded might be installed in /usr/local (if you got it from
sunfreeware.com) or somewhere else.

Post by Ian Collin » Fri, 19 May 2006 08:34:52

>> Hi Group,
>> I installed Solaris 10 on a Pentium machine after downloading it from
>> Sun's site. Then i
>> came to know that MySql comes bundled with Solaris 10. So i installed
>> MySql which came with the Solaris 10. Then i checked the version of the
>> MySql i installed using mysqlcheck -V and the version shown was 4.0.24.
>> I wanted the latest version of MySql (5.0) to be installed in the
>> Pentium machine. So i downloaded the
>> mysql-max-5.0.21-solaris10-i386.pkg.gz and installed it as before and
>> started the MySql server. Again i checked the version and it is still
>> 4.0.24 instead of showing  5.0.21. I dont know what went wrong. The
>> reason i wanted the latest version of MySql is to use the MySql
>> cluster.
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Cheers
>> Shan

> The two versions of mysql are almost certainly installed in different
> locations and your path is still pointing to the old one (first or only)
>  The Sun package was probably installed in /opt.  The one you downloaded
> might be installed in /usr/local (if you got it from sunfreeware.com) or
> somewhere else.

The Sun package lives in /usr/sfw along with all the other bundled freeware.

I've found it best to remove the SUNW packages when replacing them with
more recent versions.

--
Ian Collins.

1. Solaris10-amd64, Driver Installation Problem

I try to install a driver vor my Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ehternet
Adapter,
but i can't get it run. I'm not a system administrator, just a software

developer who want try to compile on another system, so this might be
a pure newbie question.

I started in 32-Bit mode with "b kernel/unix" and installed the
YUKONXsol
package. It said okay and that i must restart. After restart the dmesg

But when i use "ifconfig -a" i don't get devices other then "lo0".

I still did what i learned on other systems, and tried
"ifconfig yukonx0 inet 10.0.0.7 netmask 0xFFFFFF00"
but this of course gave me a "SIGCGLIFNETMASK: yukonx0: no such
interface"
error.

I also tried the SysKonnect Driver SKGEsolx. If first seems to install
fine, finding the ethernet card and asking me to configure the
interface
but then failing in the postinstall script with a message
"devfsadm: driver failed to attach: skge
Warning: Driver (skge) successfully added to system but failed to
attach
SKGEsolx driver load fialed: IP interfaces wil not be configured!"
On a reboot it was the same, no device, but also no entry in the dmesg.

So i think that the 32-Bit mode is a little bit closer to my solution.

2. DEC 24010 Problems

3. Solaris10 x86 installation problem

4. Does OpenBSD support cylinder sizes above 1024?

5. mySQL installation problem

6. sources for ports not on CDs???

7. MySQL installation problems (address already in use)

8. How does cachefsstat work?

9. problems with mysql-installation

10. Solaris mySQL installation Problem

11. Problem with MySQL installation

12. mysql installation problem:

13. Problem wuth mySQL-3.22.32 source installation