Q: sendmail and MS exchange

Post by poseido » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 14:31:42

Hi, all

I'm afraid this question is sort of FAQ but please let me ask. I have
checked deja.com ( or google.com?) but I could not find any answer for my
problem.

Our network is 100% PC (NT4 and a few 2000/95/98/Me ....) based. We use MS
exchange. Exchange is on intranet but our firewall lets mails go through for
exchange. The firewall also does address translation and Exchange has two IP
addresses,  one for intranet and one for internet. We do not have our own
DNS. We depends on ISP's DNS.  ISP's DNS have MX record for our Exchange.
Now we have a Solaris8 and we want to send emails from Solaris to Exchange.
The problem is, pardon me if I'm not correct,  I'm not really familiar with
this kind  of things, that after I setup sendmail environment following
somebody's looks-good instruction found at deja.com, sendmail keeps
complaining that since the computer name is not found in DNS, it goes to
sleep and retry. Of course, our ISP's  DNS does not know our Solaris.

Does anybody have any solution for this problem?

Thank you in advance.

poseidon

Q: sendmail and MS exchange

Post by Jason Antheuni » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 15:46:58

Let me see if I understand. You want to send mail from you solaris boxes to
your exchange server? If you insist on sendmail, try setting up a internal
dns, or even better, only use IP addresses when refering to machines when
configuring sendmail.

I guess my question is, why do you need sendmail? Exchange server can handle
legacy clients with SMTP, POP3 and IMAP interfaces. Just set up your solaris
desktops (if you have any) to use the exchange server as a mail server. And
if it is a solaris server, a quick and easy dns server can be made following
the instructions in the Linux howto. Everything that deals with bind on
Linux works with bind on Solaris.

Just my $.02 canadian

Jason

Quote:> Hi, all

> I'm afraid this question is sort of FAQ but please let me ask. I have
> checked deja.com ( or google.com?) but I could not find any answer for my
> problem.

> Our network is 100% PC (NT4 and a few 2000/95/98/Me ....) based. We use MS
> exchange. Exchange is on intranet but our firewall lets mails go through
for
> exchange. The firewall also does address translation and Exchange has two
IP
> addresses,  one for intranet and one for internet. We do not have our own
> DNS. We depends on ISP's DNS.  ISP's DNS have MX record for our Exchange.
> Now we have a Solaris8 and we want to send emails from Solaris to
Exchange.
> The problem is, pardon me if I'm not correct,  I'm not really familiar
with
> this kind  of things, that after I setup sendmail environment following
> somebody's looks-good instruction found at deja.com, sendmail keeps
> complaining that since the computer name is not found in DNS, it goes to
> sleep and retry. Of course, our ISP's  DNS does not know our Solaris.

> Does anybody have any solution for this problem?

> Thank you in advance.

> poseidon

Q: sendmail and MS exchange

Post by poseido » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 19:56:43

Hi, thank you for the reply.

Quote:> Let me see if I understand. You want to send mail from you solaris boxes
> your exchange server? If you insist on sendmail, try setting up a internal
> dns, or even better, only use IP addresses when refering to machines when
> configuring sendmail.

I do not want to setup internal dns. (there is some polictics in the
company)

Instead,  I'd like to know how to configure sendmail only to use IP
addresses. Can you give me a pointer?

Quote:

> I guess my question is, why do you need sendmail? Exchange server can
handle
> legacy clients with SMTP, POP3 and IMAP interfaces. Just set up your
solaris
> desktops (if you have any) to use the exchange server as a mail server.

And

You mean I can use Solaris Gui based mailtool to go to Exchange, right? My
final goal is sending mails programatically without X Windows. Is it
possible to do so using those mailtool?

Thank you!

poseidon

Q: sendmail and MS exchange

Post by Jason Antheuni » Sun, 01 Apr 2001 06:00:46

here goes:

> Hi, thank you for the reply.

> > Let me see if I understand. You want to send mail from you solaris boxes
> > your exchange server? If you insist on sendmail, try setting up a
internal
> > dns, or even better, only use IP addresses when refering to machines
when
> > configuring sendmail.

> I do not want to setup internal dns. (there is some polictics in the
> company)

> Instead,  I'd like to know how to configure sendmail only to use IP
> addresses. Can you give me a pointer?

From the sendmail FAQ: http://www.sendmail.org/faq/

Q3.22 -- How do I configure sendmail not to use DNS?
Date: March 24, 1997
Updated: April 6, 2000
In situations where you're behind a firewall, or across a dial-up line,
there are times when you need to make sure that programs (such as sendmail)
do not use the DNS at all.

With older releases of version 8 sendmail (8.7 and earlier), you need to
recompile the binary and make sure that "NAMED_BIND" is turned off in
src/conf.h.

With versions 8.8 and later, you change the service switch file to omit
"DNS" and use only NIS, files, and other map types as appropriate. More
information about the service switch file can be found under the
ServiceSwitchFile option in 5.6 (Options) of the Installation and Operation
Guide and all of 4.9 (Name Server Access).

Also, starting with 8.9, it may help to include the following in your .mc
file:

FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
FEATURE(`accept_unqualified_senders')dnl

Note that you'll need to forward all your outbound mail to another machine
as a "relay" (one that does use DNS, and understands how to properly use MX
records, etc...), otherwise you won't be able to get mail to any site(s)
other than the one(s) you configure in your /etc/hosts file (or whatever).

See the appropriate section for your version.

Quote:

> > I guess my question is, why do you need sendmail? Exchange server can
> handle
> > legacy clients with SMTP, POP3 and IMAP interfaces. Just set up your
> solaris
> > desktops (if you have any) to use the exchange server as a mail server.
> And

> You mean I can use Solaris Gui based mailtool to go to Exchange, right? My
> final goal is sending mails programatically without X Windows. Is it
> possible to do so using those mailtool?

I know that pine can use IMAP, so that's one option. I don't know about
mailtool, maybe someone else can help you with it.  I hope this answers your
question, email me if it doesn't and I'll try to answer more clearly.

Jason

Quote:> Thank you!

> poseidon

1. Using Sendmail to e-mail MS-Exchange

Here is what I want to do......
I have an RS/6000 Aix4 running sendmail and am trying to get it to e-mail

the message will be delivered. I have the Exchange Box locked down so that
it can not be used as a relay. When I try to send an e-mail with another

turn up logging on exchange I get a 550 relaying message displayed. Does
anyone else have this setup and working internally? Thanks, Anthony

2. System Performance and Netscape

3. sendmail on Solaris 8 brings down MS Exchange servers - is this possible?

4. Learning Linux

5. How do i confure Unix sendmail via MS exchange

6. Problem installing XiG CDE

7. Sendmail as gateway to MS Exchange Server ?

8. Problem Configuring DTC16/RX on HP-UX 10.20

9. Sendmail dials up ISP on request of MS Exchange

10. Sendmail vs. MS-Exchange

11. How to connect sendmail with MS Exchange?

12. Firewalling a Local Area Network with routers, MS Exchange, MS Proxy and LINUX.........

13. Linux Firewalls, MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server