Format/Install procedure.. Solaris 2.6 over existing OS.???

Format/Install procedure.. Solaris 2.6 over existing OS.???

Post by pete » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hello..

thanks to all who replyed to my last post.

My next and hopefully final step.

The system I got up and running has an old OS installed on it.  It was
installed by the person who had the machine before me.
1.  the machine won't finish the boot process because I don't have it on the
net.  It keeps looking for the network.  Can i override this?
2.  When i do get it to boot, I can't log in because i don't know the root
password.
3.  I want to install Solaris 2.6 on this machine.  First I must format the
HD.  What procedure should I take to format it? I assume the format routine
will need to read the format.dat file on the existing system to format the
drive correctly.  Am i right?

Should I format under 2.6 miniroot?
what are the steps of format?

I hope this wasn't too much to swallow at once.  Basicly the mahine has
4.1.2 installed and I don't know the passwords.  i want to reformat the
drive and install 2.6.

thanks

Peter

Post by Philip Bro » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>..
>3.  I want to install Solaris 2.6 on this machine.  First I must format the
>HD.

incorrect. the install proceedure will ask you  at the appropriate point.
you just say "yes, take the whole disk".

--
[trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
Secret nONsONaTIAL monologue...

1. Installing Solaris 2.6 on drive with existing DOS partitions

Hi,

Solaris is having a problem installing on my 8GB hard drive. I currently
have the first 2GB set aside for Win95. The next 2GB is an extended dos
partition added later since I needed more space. The last 4GB is not
assigned.
After booting from the disk, I select to install from the CD. It begins
stops and reboots. I couldn't catch the complete message but I believe it
said it couldn't set up a partition.
In the troubleshooting material I am told that Solaris requires the first
1024 cylinders of the disk, but the FAQ says that you can install it
anywhere, if you BIOS supports LBA(which mine does).

What do I do?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

2. Card for Philips monitor

3. is this a good Solaris 2.6 Installation Procedure???

4. Welcome to comp.unix.questions [Monthly posting]

5. Solaris 2.5 OS server of Solaris 2.6??

6. What the differenses???

7. HOWTO connect a Solaris 2.6 box to an existing network ?

8. DTR loss

9. Displaying information for existing Network Printers on Solaris 2.6

10. can't read Solaris 2.6 x86 hard disk on Solaris 2.6 Ultra-1 ?!?

11. Upgrade from Solaris 2.6 with Volume Manager 2.6 to Solaris 8 with Volume Manager 3.2

12. Format of currency on Solaris 2.6

13. Regression procedure for applying Solaris OS patches