Full Duplex/Half duplex problems...

Post by Jeff » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

We have a few E250s running solaris 7 with the latest patch release in
all systems.  We see the systems switching from full duplex 100mbps to
half duplex 10mbps automatically.  We are not changing the configs on
the boxes nor did we change the config on our switches(Cat 5509's set
hard to full duplx 100mbps).
We would reboot the systems and the boxes would come up fine 100mbps
fd.  Mind you these boxes are serving 100 http connections per second.

What gives??

-Jeff

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Full Duplex/Half duplex problems...

Post by sampat » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

U can force the speed of the network interface (say hme) to 100Mbps
full duplex and disable auto-negotiation. (like u have ur switches set).

Add below entries in /etc/system(assuming u use hme interface) and then
reboot to ensure this:

       set hme:hme_adv_autoneg_cap=0
       set hme:hme_adv_100T4_cap=0
       set hme:hme_adv_100fdx_cap=1
       set hme:hme_adv_100hdx_cap=0
       set hme:hme_adv_10fdx_cap=0
       set hme:hme_adv_10hdx_cap=0

-Sampath

Quote:> We have a few E250s running solaris 7 with the latest patch release in

--
Thanks in advance.
Regards,

Post by Mark Olso » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> We have a few E250s running solaris 7 with the latest patch release in
> all systems.  We see the systems switching from full duplex 100mbps to
> half duplex 10mbps automatically.  We are not changing the configs on
> the boxes nor did we change the config on our switches(Cat 5509's set
> hard to full duplx 100mbps).
> We would reboot the systems and the boxes would come up fine 100mbps
> fd.  Mind you these boxes are serving 100 http connections per second.

> What gives??

> -Jeff

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I have an UE450 hooked to a Cisco Catalyst 55xx box, many problems
like you describe until the Cisco's firmware was updated.  Ask whomever
maintains the Cisco if it has the latest firmware.

I fought this thing for a couple of weeks straight, very frustrating
indeed.  The funny thing was one interface (hme1) worked perfectly
and the built in interface (hme0) did not, it seemed to be a problem
with the Sun box because it followed the interface and not the port
on the Cisco we used, but after the firmware upgrade all worked as
advertised.

As other posters have suggested, it probably is a good idea to force
the Sun and the Cisco to fixed parameters and avoid autonegotiation.

My boxes have this in their /etc/system file:

**
** Force 100MB Full duplex on all hme interfaces
**
set hme:hme_adv_autoneg_cap = 0
set hme:hme_adv_100T4_cap   = 0
set hme:hme_adv_100fdx_cap  = 1
set hme:hme_adv_100hdx_cap  = 0
set hme:hme_adv_10fdx_cap   = 0
set hme:hme_adv_10hdx_cap   = 0

HTH,
Mark
--
Mark C Olson
ADC Telecommunications

1. half-duplex/full-duplex problem

I have a new Sun E10, that is connected to a network switch using a cat 3
cable. We had some problems getting the conenction to work, apparently the
machine and the switch could not agree on what speed to run at, so I have
manually set it to 10 MB.

However, I have noticed another problem, incoming traffic runs MUCH slower
than outbound, very noticeable with FTP.

It appears the line runs only half duplex. The network guys says the switch is
set for full duplex, but runs in half because the E10 requests it.

On the E10, I see the follwing, as I can understand from the manual. I have
not done much work with these settings, so I may miss something here.

It is set to do full duplex:
  # ndd /dev/hme 10fdx_cap
  1

No negotiation
  # ndd /dev/hme adv_autoneg_cap
  0

But it thinks the Link Partner (the switch, I presume) can not do
full duplex:

  # ndd /dev/hme lp_10fdx_cap
  0

But it reports it is doing full duplex.

  # ndd /dev/hme link_mode
  1

(I assume '1' means full, the manual is not real clear on that)

And it's set to only do full duplex.
  # ndd /dev/hme adv_10fdx_cap
  1
  # ndd /dev/hme adv_10hdx_cap
  0

Suggestions?

Thanks

2. Help- owplaces (xtoolplaces) can't find library.

3. Full Duplex and Half Duplex

4. Copy-paste operations in X

5. Question on half-duplex and full duplex

6. Non-constant initializer warning

7. full duplex/half duplex.

8. please help with samba

9. Full Duplex/Half Duplex

10. full-duplex / half-duplex switching, why?

11. NIC Speed Settings. Full duplex vs Half duplex

12. Full duplex and half duplex

13. Alcatel SpeedTouch Home modem -- half-duplex or full-duplex?