Slow network performance in one direction

Slow network performance in one direction

Post by danle.. » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

We have two machines with the following network
interfaces:
1) Sun E3500 (100MB interface - full duplex)
2) Sun Sparc 20 (10MB interface - half duplex)

Both these machines plug into a switch with the
relevant port settings.

We remote copy a 5MB file from the E3500 to the
SunSparc20 and it takes 6 seconds.

We remote copy the same file from the SunSparc20
to the E3500 - and it takes 3 minutes!!

Has anybody got any ideas as to what the fix is.
Our network guys are looking into it but are
going round in circles!!  Is it a network problem
or is it a Sun machine problem.

Help!!

Thanks in anticipation.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Slow network performance in one direction

Post by James A. William » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

The only thing I can think of is the MTU set on the interface.  We have to
throttle back MTU to 1500 to avoid problems on our particular network
configuration.  You might try that and see if you get any improvement.

> Hi,

> We have two machines with the following network
> interfaces:
> 1) Sun E3500 (100MB interface - full duplex)
> 2) Sun Sparc 20 (10MB interface - half duplex)

> Both these machines plug into a switch with the
> relevant port settings.

> We remote copy a 5MB file from the E3500 to the
> SunSparc20 and it takes 6 seconds.

> We remote copy the same file from the SunSparc20
> to the E3500 - and it takes 3 minutes!!

> Has anybody got any ideas as to what the fix is.
> Our network guys are looking into it but are
> going round in circles!!  Is it a network problem
> or is it a Sun machine problem.

> Help!!

> Thanks in anticipation.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Slow network performance in one direction

Post by Gopal » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

You will see equal performance if you set the 100Mb card and relevant
settings to "Manual, Half-Duplex".

There are known problems in networks which have both Half-Duplex and
Full Duplex cards on the same segment. I dont know why it is happening
across switch ports.

I strongly suggest to review the portsettings for both on the SWITCH.

How is the throughput between the 10Mb Halfduplex system with its
fellow 10MB HDX systems ??

If only this system is bad, them it is OS problem.

Do you see where I am heading to ??

Gopi.

> Hi,

> We have two machines with the following network
> interfaces:
> 1) Sun E3500 (100MB interface - full duplex)
> 2) Sun Sparc 20 (10MB interface - half duplex)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Slow network performance in one direction

Post by Daniel J. Wentz » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

network transfers are dependent on the network performance (obviously),
but they can also be limited by the receiver.

Is the E3500 doing a lot of other activities?  Perhaps it
is advertising out a very small window size to the Sparc20
and therefore throttling him back?

If you are confident you are not dropping packet and that
the input errors to the E3500 are zero (or at least the delta over a
significant period of time is miniscule) than look at this possibility.

DJW

--
That's the nice things about standards - there are so
many to choose from -- Anonymous

Post by Colin Stuckles » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> network transfers are dependent on the network performance (obviously),
> but they can also be limited by the receiver.

> Is the E3500 doing a lot of other activities?  Perhaps it
> is advertising out a very small window size to the Sparc20
> and therefore throttling him back?

> If you are confident you are not dropping packet and that
> the input errors to the E3500 are zero (or at least the delta over a
> significant period of time is miniscule) than look at this possibility.

> DJW

> > Hi,

> > We have two machines with the following network
> > interfaces:
> > 1) Sun E3500 (100MB interface - full duplex)
> > 2) Sun Sparc 20 (10MB interface - half duplex)

> > Both these machines plug into a switch with the
> > relevant port settings.

> > We remote copy a 5MB file from the E3500 to the
> > SunSparc20 and it takes 6 seconds.

> > We remote copy the same file from the SunSparc20
> > to the E3500 - and it takes 3 minutes!!

Sounds like you have a duplex mismatch. Check the switch
and servers again to see if they agree on the duplex
settings you list above.

Colin Stuckless

Slow network performance in one direction

Post by Joerg Hallbaue » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I agree, in general I would stay away from auto netgotiate.  I would lock
down both the speed an the duplex on both sides (i.e. the Sun and the
switch).

--joerg

> > network transfers are dependent on the network performance (obviously),
> > but they can also be limited by the receiver.

> > Is the E3500 doing a lot of other activities?  Perhaps it
> > is advertising out a very small window size to the Sparc20
> > and therefore throttling him back?

> > If you are confident you are not dropping packet and that
> > the input errors to the E3500 are zero (or at least the delta over a
> > significant period of time is miniscule) than look at this possibility.

> > DJW

> > > Hi,

> > > We have two machines with the following network
> > > interfaces:
> > > 1) Sun E3500 (100MB interface - full duplex)
> > > 2) Sun Sparc 20 (10MB interface - half duplex)

> > > Both these machines plug into a switch with the
> > > relevant port settings.

> > > We remote copy a 5MB file from the E3500 to the
> > > SunSparc20 and it takes 6 seconds.

> > > We remote copy the same file from the SunSparc20
> > > to the E3500 - and it takes 3 minutes!!

> Sounds like you have a duplex mismatch. Check the switch
> and servers again to see if they agree on the duplex
> settings you list above.

> Colin Stuckless

1. Transfers slow in one direction

Whenever moving files onto the Linux box from a Mac or Wintel, transfers are
achingly slow, and the logs show a bunch of collisions. Moving files *from*
the Linux box to another machine are speedy, however. Any ideas? The system
is RH5 with a cheap PCI Ethernet card. There are only a dozen computers on
the network, and transfers to the NT server are much faster (which annoys
me).

2. Help with Toshiba XM-5302B ATAPI CDROM

3. Challenging Problem: TCP/IP slow in one direction

4. Will Redhat run on a 286 anymore?

5. Samba slow one direction only!

6. Changing symbols in ELF binaries

7. very slow ethernet connection IN ONE DIRECTION!

8. Virtual Domain setup

9. Transfer Speeds Slow In One Direction

10. help! very slow ethernet IN ONE DIRECTION

11. PPP slow in ONE direction

12. slow ethernet throughput in one direction

13. smbclient is slow in one direction only!