Xvfb X-server emulator and Oracle 11i reports server

Xvfb X-server emulator and Oracle 11i reports server

Post by Matt » Thu, 25 Dec 2003 01:16:50

We are running Oracle Financials 11i on Solaris8, the machine in question in
a SunFire F12K domain and has no directly attached console.

The reports server for Oracle 11i requires an Xserver to write to for the
production of bitmap reports.

We have installed Xvfb which emulates an Xserver on machines without a
directly attached console.

I can get a simple X application like xclock to start against the pseudo
Xserver but when the Oracle 11i ar60runb job is run to produce bitmap
reports it returns a REP-3000 error

I have experimented with starting Xvfb with different screen size options
but this either results in a core dump or the REP-3000 error

Oracle support are not too helpful regarding this error, their documentation
says that if xlock will start then all should be okay.

There are lots of references to this on the internet but, as yet, I can't
find one which solves my problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be preventing the Oracle
reporting program from being able to utilise the pseudo Xserver?

Thanks

Post by Ana C. Den » Thu, 25 Dec 2003 09:39:28

> We are running Oracle Financials 11i on Solaris8, the machine in question in
> a SunFire F12K domain and has no directly attached console.

> The reports server for Oracle 11i requires an Xserver to write to for the
> production of bitmap reports.

> We have installed Xvfb which emulates an Xserver on machines without a
> directly attached console.

> I can get a simple X application like xclock to start against the pseudo
> Xserver but when the Oracle 11i ar60runb job is run to produce bitmap
> reports it returns a REP-3000 error

> I have experimented with starting Xvfb with different screen size options
> but this either results in a core dump or the REP-3000 error

> Oracle support are not too helpful regarding this error, their documentation
> says that if xlock will start then all should be okay.

> There are lots of references to this on the internet but, as yet, I can't
> find one which solves my problem.

> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be preventing the Oracle
> reporting program from being able to utilise the pseudo Xserver?

> Thanks

FWIW - I'm supporting 9iAS R2 which has the same *&^&*$$&# requirement.
I'm using VNC in place of Xvfb; which really should not matter.
Are you really, really sure that DISPLAY is set to the desired value
for the actual Reports Server s/w?
IIRC, I had to xhost + at some point in time.

Post by Gerard H. Pill » Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:52:53

> We are running Oracle Financials 11i on Solaris8, the machine in question in
> a SunFire F12K domain and has no directly attached console.

> The reports server for Oracle 11i requires an Xserver to write to for the
> production of bitmap reports.

> We have installed Xvfb which emulates an Xserver on machines without a
> directly attached console.

> I can get a simple X application like xclock to start against the pseudo
> Xserver but when the Oracle 11i ar60runb job is run to produce bitmap
> reports it returns a REP-3000 error

> I have experimented with starting Xvfb with different screen size options
> but this either results in a core dump or the REP-3000 error

> Oracle support are not too helpful regarding this error, their documentation
> says that if xlock will start then all should be okay.

> There are lots of references to this on the internet but, as yet, I can't
> find one which solves my problem.

> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be preventing the Oracle
> reporting program from being able to utilise the pseudo Xserver?

> Thanks

I might have one, Matt:

besides the x-server, you also need a window manager.

Poor old twm will do, if you tell him (in system.twmrc, I believe) to position
the windows automatically, otherwise your report server will hang on the second
request.

Oracle must have taken it for granted that an X server comes with a window manager.

Proof of the pudding: try xlsfonts without window manager.  It's the fonts that
Oracle Reports needs.

Gerard

Post by Hans Forbric » Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:40:27

> We are running Oracle Financials 11i on Solaris8, the machine in question in
> a SunFire F12K domain and has no directly attached console.

> The reports server for Oracle 11i requires an Xserver to write to for the
> production of bitmap reports.

> We have installed Xvfb which emulates an Xserver on machines without a
> directly attached console.

> I can get a simple X application like xclock to start against the pseudo
> Xserver but when the Oracle 11i ar60runb job is run to produce bitmap
> reports it returns a REP-3000 error

> I have experimented with starting Xvfb with different screen size options
> but this either results in a core dump or the REP-3000 error

> Oracle support are not too helpful regarding this error, their documentation
> says that if xlock will start then all should be okay.

> There are lots of references to this on the internet but, as yet, I can't
> find one which solves my problem.

> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be preventing the Oracle
> reporting program from being able to utilise the pseudo Xserver?

> Thanks

Possibly not relevant in your ennvironment, but if you have a windows
machine lying around on the network, you can try using a fulll-blown X11
server.

Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com) is a Red Hat project to provide a free
'Linux work-alike' capability in Windows.  It comes with a port of
XFree86 (Open Source X11) and I have used it successfully as an X11
server, including against the Oracle Universal Installer.

BTW - it's not necessary to copy all the comp.databases.oracle
subgroups.  I've reduced to comp.databases.oracle.misc.

HTH
/Hans

Post by bruno.s.delbon » Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:54:52

> Possibly not relevant in your ennvironment, but if you have a windows
> machine lying around on the network, you can try using a fulll-blown X11
> server.

This is not at all relevant. The OP talked about
solaris....windows/redhat/cygwin's got nothing to do with it.

Xvfb X-server emulator and Oracle 11i reports server

Post by Tanel Pode » Mon, 19 Jan 2004 01:37:06

As another option, use VNC server. I've used it fine for few years now and
have seen no problems so far.

Tanel.

Quote:> besides the x-server, you also need a window manager.

> Poor old twm will do, if you tell him (in system.twmrc, I believe) to
position
> the windows automatically, otherwise your report server will hang on the
second
> request.

> Oracle must have taken it for granted that an X server comes with a window
manager.

> Proof of the pudding: try xlsfonts without window manager.  It's the fonts
that
> Oracle Reports needs.

1. Q: X-Server Emulator on win98

I found an X-Server terminal that seems to work like it should.  It is Micro
Images X-Server.  To use it you still log in to your server with a terminal
program (telnet) and then issue an export DISPLAY=ip.for.remote.pc command.
It sets the export variable, and still tells me that the display is not
supported.  The MI/X FAQ says it may need to be configured on the server
side to allow this.  I have root access to the server (it is mine), but I
don't know what to change.  Any help would be great.  Post reply here or

Thanks.

2. Serial port device

3. Net Bandwith: X-Server vs PC Client/Server

4. recruiting

5. How to run the X-Server & FREEBSD as an Internet Server.

6. X clients-- allowing???

7. Domino Server and Oracle Web Server Settings

8. ppp says:"Idle timer expired" and drops the line

9. Oracle Application Server vs. other Web Server Products

10. pl/sql cusror state using Oracle web agent, web server & database server

11. Oracle 11i problem on Redhat 7.1

12. Oracle Server Manager GUI and SCO Open server 5.04

13. Open server 5.04 enterprise/Oracle 7.3.3 GUI Server Manager