Some Rookie questions.....

Post by Freddy Kuehne » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 04:40:19

Not familiar with Solaris but needing some information regarding a Test i
have 2 questions where i could aprreciate some help ;-)

Surely you will laugh at them and answer them on the fly ;-)) (The items
marked with an asterisk would be my supposed solution...)

Solaris discovers a new DiskDevice, which file to edit ?
- vfstab *
- inittab
- sd.conf
- system

for Solaris to find a FC Attached peripheral, which variable must be defined
for every device that a given Solaris System is to Control
- LUN= *
- target=
- maxmem=
- maxprocs=

btw, is somebody out there also familiar with TIVOLI SANergy ???

byebye

Freddy

Some Rookie questions.....

Post by David Michael » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 05:22:59

> Not familiar with Solaris but needing some information regarding a Test i
> have 2 questions where i could aprreciate some help ;-)

> Surely you will laugh at them and answer them on the fly ;-)) (The items
> marked with an asterisk would be my supposed solution...)

> Solaris discovers a new DiskDevice, which file to edit ?
> - vfstab *
> - inittab
> - sd.conf
> - system

> for Solaris to find a FC Attached peripheral, which variable must be defined
> for every device that a given Solaris System is to Control
> - LUN= *
> - target=
> - maxmem=
> - maxprocs=

> btw, is somebody out there also familiar with TIVOLI SANergy ???

> byebye

> Freddy

Questions about Fibre Channel now fall in the rookie category ?

--
David Michaels

Some Rookie questions.....

Post by Freddy Kuehne » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 05:38:57

Hi David,

Quote:> Questions about Fibre Channel now fall in the rookie category ?

Yeah, as a kind of Solaris Rookie......

bye

Freddy

Some Rookie questions.....

Post by Kyana » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 06:59:34

Quote:> Not familiar with Solaris but needing some information regarding a Test i
> have 2 questions where i could aprreciate some help ;-)

> Surely you will laugh at them and answer them on the fly ;-)) (The items
> marked with an asterisk would be my supposed solution...)

> Solaris discovers a new DiskDevice, which file to edit ?
> - vfstab *
> - inittab
> - sd.conf
> - system

If your system already discovered the disk(s), all you need to do is format,
make a
file system and mount it. see the commands: format, newfs and mount
If the disk is already formatted and contains data, just mount it (probably
as readonly)
Make a permanent line in /etc/vfstab if you want the disk mounted after each
reboot

Quote:> for Solaris to find a FC Attached peripheral, which variable must be
defined
> for every device that a given Solaris System is to Control
> - LUN= *
> - target=
> - maxmem=
> - maxprocs=

In your sd.conf, you have to define variables according to your SAN hardware
specs and your
fiber channel adapter. Read their manuals. Both the LUN and target have to
be specified. You
may also have to provide HBA and World Wide Numbers (more like MAC addresses
for NICS)
for the devices. Changes to sd.conf  require a reboot.

Quote:> btw, is somebody out there also familiar with TIVOLI SANergy ???

Nope - had to deal with a rogue Hitachi Freedom 5800 once ... thats about
it.
Quote:> byebye
> Freddy

1. rookie question--where to get API references

Hi folks,

I am new to linux programming and I found it really difficult to get API
references under linux. So my question is:

Is there categorized man pages/help systems for C/C++ APIs?
If they don't come with the distribution CD, where can I get it?

Can anyone give me some ideas or a URL?

Thanks a lot.

Tristone

2. Delete a File?

3. Rookie Question...

4. korn shells

5. Several rookie questions

6. Need desperate help to compile VNC on Solaris

7. HELP! Rookie Question

8. Procomm SCSI contriller

9. Rookie question...

10. Rookie question: TIME SYNC

11. Rookie question: How to get to A: and CD rom ?

12. Linux rookie questions

13. Preloaded Solaris (Very Rookie Question)