Striping - e.g. Raid 1

Post by ott.. » Sun, 17 Dec 2000 02:57:09

I just installed Solaris 8 on an Ultra server.  I have 12 internal
drives on a fast-wide scsi chain.  How can I stripe these 2.1G drives
to form some larger mount points.

Thanks,
Ken

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Striping - e.g. Raid 1

Post by Bigdaki » Sun, 17 Dec 2000 08:41:12

>Subject: Striping - e.g. Raid 1

>Date: 12/15/00 7:57 AM Hawaiian Standard Time

>I just installed Solaris 8 on an Ultra server.  I have 12 internal
>drives on a fast-wide scsi chain.  How can I stripe these 2.1G drives
>to form some larger mount points.

Actually simple striping is RAID-0, which is not really RAID at all. You also
need to have disksuite installed. Does /etc/opt/SUNWmd exists?

Before getting started, I must tell you that it seems to me striping 12 drives
might be overkill, I don't know of anyone striping more than 5 or 6, but maybe
thats just me.

Perhaps you might consider making two raid devices of 5 or 6 disks. Other more
knowledgeable gurus here may have a better take.

You will need to install at least 2 partitions on each disk, one for your data,
the other for the metadb (metadabase). The metadb doesn't need to be more than
2MB, at least thats what I use, and I haven't had any problems yet. However you
do it, make sure each disk is partitioned in the exact same way.

Once this is done you can  set up your meta-database. I'm assuming you do not
have any current metadevices..

Then you execute the metadb command

metadb -f -a (list of slices which contain the small partition)

The you edit the /etc/opt/SUNWmd/md.tab file.

You can use an entry like
d0 1 5 (list of 5 data partitions)

Then you can check with /usr/opt/SUNWmd/sbin/metainit -n d0
If it returns metadevice is set up, then execute without the the -n option.

Next newfs /dev/md/rdsk/d0 and you're good to go.

This info is available in the docs..

Stuart

Dr. Stuart A. Weinstein
Ewa Beach Institute of Tectonics
"To err is human, but to really foul things up
requires a creationist"

Striping - e.g. Raid 1

Post by Bigdaki » Sun, 17 Dec 2000 09:03:03

>Subject: Re: Striping - e.g. Raid 1

>Date: 12/15/00 1:41 PM Hawaiian Standard Time

>>Subject: Striping - e.g. Raid 1

>>Date: 12/15/00 7:57 AM Hawaiian Standard Time

>>I just installed Solaris 8 on an Ultra server.  I have 12 internal
>>drives on a fast-wide scsi chain.  How can I stripe these 2.1G drives
>>to form some larger mount points.

>Actually simple striping is RAID-0, which is not really RAID at all. You also
>need to have disksuite installed. Does /etc/opt/SUNWmd exists?

>Before getting started, I must tell you that it seems to me striping 12
>drives
>might be overkill, I don't know of anyone striping more than 5 or 6, but
>maybe
>thats just me.

>Perhaps you might consider making two raid devices of 5 or 6 disks. Other
>more
>knowledgeable gurus here may have a better take.

Come to think of it, you could also make a raid10, i.e. let one raid0 array
mirror the other..

Depends on your needs..

--
One option would be to use Veritas Volume Manager but you'll likely
have to shell out some bucks unless you bought a Sun blessed and

Again, if you go this way, make sure your system is well patched, and
ensure you have a solid backup before you stick the cd in the drive.
Having the system fairly up to date on patches is generally non-
optional for a successful install.  And as to backups... well, stuff
happens and is a lot more likely to happen when you throw software in
there that gets between the kernel and lower level disk subsystems.

Michael Olcott
Consultant: UNIX/NT Admin/Programmer Perl/C/C++

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

1. Software RAID 0 tools, e.g, mdadd

Hi:

I'm having trouble finding an answer to these questions. I'm trying to add a couple of scsi drives
into raid 0 configuration, and my 2.1.130 kernel is compiled with support. The md devices are in
/dev/, the modules are there, and the boot messages show it is available.

However, I can't get the md tools to compile, due to missing #define's. Perhaps this is something
that occurs only for 2.1.x kernels, and the .h files are arranged differently for 2.0.x or 2.2.x

The missing #defines (so far) appear to be MD_VERSION, PAGE_SIZE, and PAGE_SHIFT.

MD_VERSION is simply for the -V parameter to announce versions, and I can live without that.
PAGE_SIZE and PAGE_SHIFT appear to be in /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386/page.h, containing the
value 12 for PAGE_SHIFT and (1UL << PAGE_SHIFT) for PAGE_SIZE.

Messing with paging parameters makes me worry, and not finding information that should be there
anyway makes me worry more. Can anyone tell me if these values are right? There is no information
with the md tools version 0.35 to specify what kernel versions it is meant to work with. The kernel
already has the raid code in it, so patching the kernel should also not be necessary. How/where can
I get mdadd, mdcreate, and so on, in order to work with raid 0? Why are the missing #def's missing?

Thanks!

2. (fwd) Re: KDE FUD

3. Promise 378 SATA Raid controller stripe configuration MBFastTrack78

4. HELP: on "configure" utility for cross-compilation

5. RAID - striping and mirroring

6. PANASONIC CR-56x CDROM DRIVER?

7. striping and raid

8. Help: how can I mail a file as attachment?

9. **Striped Filesystems, RAID, etc.**

10. Linux RAID/STRIPE SET INFO PLEASE

11. stripe size when setting up RAID 0 for oracle

12. Promise Ultra 66 and Quantum Drives with SW Raid (Striped)

13. raid 5, striping and oracle tablespaces.