ttymon trouble

ttymon trouble

Post by Andrea Ferrar » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 00:59:10



What's means the following warning message after logged in command line
mode?
"Warning - ttymon cannot allocate controlling tty on /dev/console there
may be another session active on this port"
 
 
 

ttymon trouble

Post by martha starke » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 22:20:35


Basically it means what it says: there is another process trying to use
or using the /dev/console device and preventing the console from
starting/running.

Use the commands ps -ef|grep console and/or fuser -u /dev/console
to identify PIDs that may be the culprit then kill them off.  This is
often a problem with startup scripts that may attempt to write to
/dev/console and fail or hang.  Perhaps you recently added or modified
software that may have added or changed a startup script in /etc/rc2 or
/etc/rc3?

This problem requires some detective work on your part to identify the
culprit.


> What's means the following warning message after logged in command line
> mode?
> "Warning - ttymon cannot allocate controlling tty on /dev/console there
> may be another session active on this port"


 
 
 

ttymon trouble

Post by A.Warni » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 20:58:17


I am having the same problem (Solaris 2.7).  The only other process that
mentions "console" is syslogd, although there is no mention of "console" in the
syslog.conf file.
It happens when choosing "command-line login" in the CDE login screen options.
I then get a "
Any clues anyone ?


says...

>Basically it means what it says: there is another process trying to use
>or using the /dev/console device and preventing the console from
>starting/running.

>Use the commands ps -ef|grep console and/or fuser -u /dev/console
>to identify PIDs that may be the culprit then kill them off.  This is
>often a problem with startup scripts that may attempt to write to
>/dev/console and fail or hang.  Perhaps you recently added or modified
>software that may have added or changed a startup script in /etc/rc2 or
>/etc/rc3?

>This problem requires some detective work on your part to identify the
>culprit.


>> What's means the following warning message after logged in command line
>> mode?
>> "Warning - ttymon cannot allocate controlling tty on /dev/console there
>> may be another session active on this port"

 
 
 

ttymon trouble

Post by Darren Dunha » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 04:39:33



Quote:> I am having the same problem (Solaris 2.7).  The only other process that
> mentions "console" is syslogd, although there is no mention of "console" in the
> syslog.conf file.
> It happens when choosing "command-line login" in the CDE login screen options.
> I then get a "
> Any clues anyone ?

Did you follow the suggestion of seeing what is attached to the console?

Either ps -ef | grep console, or fuser /dev/console?


> says...

>>Basically it means what it says: there is another process trying to use
>>or using the /dev/console device and preventing the console from
>>starting/running.

>>Use the commands ps -ef|grep console and/or fuser -u /dev/console
>>to identify PIDs that may be the culprit then kill them off.  This is
>>often a problem with startup scripts that may attempt to write to
>>/dev/console and fail or hang.  Perhaps you recently added or modified
>>software that may have added or changed a startup script in /etc/rc2 or
>>/etc/rc3?

>>This problem requires some detective work on your part to identify the
>>culprit.


>>> What's means the following warning message after logged in command line
>>> mode?
>>> "Warning - ttymon cannot allocate controlling tty on /dev/console there
>>> may be another session active on this port"

--

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company
Got some Dr Pepper?                           San Francisco, CA bay area
      < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,  please disperse >
 
 
 

ttymon trouble

Post by martha starke » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:44:33


I've seen this problem where those commands don't show anything, however
they should be tried.  Sometimes, you have to boot through the different
run levels and see where the console hangs.  Like I said, it requires
some sleuthing . . . . .

> Did you follow the suggestion of seeing what is attached to the console?

> Either ps -ef | grep console, or fuser /dev/console?

 
 
 

ttymon trouble

Post by hume.spamfil.. » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 22:41:42



Quote:> "Warning - ttymon cannot allocate controlling tty on /dev/console there
> may be another session active on this port"

I've started getting this myself after applying Sol8 MU3.  I've done what
the others in this thread have suggested, namely identifying which processes
grab /dev/console, and, except for ttymon itself, the only possible culprits
are init, pageout, sched, and fsflush.  Obviously I can't go killing those.
:)

I have traced the problem down to USB, though.  If I boot into DCA (this is
on x86, obviously) and delete USB from the detected devices, all is well.
Except, of course, I can't start X anymore because my USB mouse is gone.
This is done with legacy mapping enabled in the BIOS.

I still have to play with this to find out more.

--
Brandon Hume    - hume -> BOFH.Halifax.NS.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Halifax.NS.Ca/
                       -> Solaris Snob and general NOCMonkey

 
 
 

1. ttymon error:ttymon cannot allocate controlling tty on /dev/console

I can't at the moment make a console login to my Sun Solaris 2.7 box,
but only login remotely by way of ssh or rlogin.
    If I try to make a console login, it gives the following messages:

        Warning -- ttymon cannot allocate controlling tty on
"/dev/console". There may be another session active on this port.

Have any one got any ideas for the solution to this problem?

--
S?ren V. Carlsen (Teknisk ansvarlig for den elektroniske
pligtaflevering)
Digitaliserings- og Webafdelingen (DWA)
Det Kongelige Bibliotek
Postboks 2149
DK-1016 K?benhavn K
Tlf: 33 47 48 41

Hjemme-adresse (Home):
============
S?ren V. Carlsen
Gammel Kongevej 142, 1. tv
DK-1850 Frederiksberg C
tlf: 33 31 45 49

##################################################################
non omnia possumus omnes
Macrobius Saturnalia VI, 1, 35
##################################################################

2. Royal Penguin Patronage

3. More@!!.. Panasonic/SB-CD troubles, trouble, trouble...

4. Help! 3ware Escalade on RH 9.0

5. Trouble, trouble, trouble - SCSI ?

6. dual headed systems.

7. bi-direction ttymon setting (AT&T SV 4.0)

8. no internet routing, need help!!!

9. ttymon strangeness

10. x86: restart !@$?^* ttymon without rebooting?

11. Sol 2.4 - ttymon woes

12. ttymon

13. Console ttymon problem.