Needed Patches on SOLARIS2.3 and related problems!

Needed Patches on SOLARIS2.3 and related problems!

Post by cyrus A. Rameza » Fri, 10 Dec 1993 12:14:40

Friends,

  We just moved up to Solaris2.3 from 2.1. We have been experiencing some problems
and have begun to wonder what are the definitly needed patches for a stand alone machine
(connected to the net of course). Several problems are particularly annoying:

  1. Fonts have changed
  2. background colors change with different logins.
  3. Filemgr is not working for some usrs. It says permissin denied.
  4. xgopher will not work even though we have the required files in the default dir.
  5. Any finnaly we get this error message all the time:
      Xlib:  sequence lost (0x10003 > 0x4a6) in reply type 0x16!
  6. "w" show poeple are still logged in even when they have logged out.
       ps -ef shows them not to be there.

As always your comments are most appreciated. Please feel free to respond

Cyrus

Needed Patches on SOLARIS2.3 and related problems!

Post by Mumit Kh » Sat, 11 Dec 1993 00:50:31

Hi cyrus,

>Friends,

>  We just moved up to Solaris2.3 from 2.1. We have been experiencing some problems
>and have begun to wonder what are the definitly needed patches for a stand alone machine
>(connected to the net of course). Several problems are particularly annoying:

>  1. Fonts have changed

yes, they have; instead of NeWS fonts, the server uses X11R5 fonts, which
are, IMO, lousy looking compared to the same NeWS fonts. I've spent some
time with ``xfontsel'' and finally came up with a better-looking set of
fonts for most of my usual applications.

Quote:>  2. background colors change with different logins.

haven't noticed this, but that may be because we have single logins per
Solaris machines here.

Quote:>  3. Filemgr is not working for some usrs. It says permissin denied.

the problem is the stupid /tmp/.removable file ... Here's a fix from the
net that offers a simple solution.

My solution is using XDM to login to the console, so I can do all sorts of
setting up before each login and cleaning up after each logout.

If you're not using XDM, and I know you're not cyrus, the solution from
net should help you.

====
This is a bug in filemgr, not a problem with your account.  The filemgr
creates a directory /tmp/.removable in which to create temporary named
pipes and the like (actually, I've never bothered to notice what it
really puts under there :-).  This directory is not removed when
filemgr exits.  So if ANOTHER userid starts filemgr then when it tries
to write in /tmp/.removable it fails.  Sun knows about this and I guess
they'll get around to fixing it some day.

Meanwhile a workaround is to create /tmp/.removable and make it world
writeable at boot.  Since the individual files are readable and
writable only by the user this shouldn't open any security problems.  I
use the following script linked into /etc/rc3.d/S99fixfilemgr.

#!/sbin/sh
#
# work around filemgr /tmp/.removable bug by creating it at boot.
#
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin

case $1 in
'start')
        rm -rf /tmp/.removable
        mkdir /tmp/.removable
        chmod a+rwxt /tmp/.removable
        ;;
'stop')
        rm -rf /tmp/.removable #what the hell, its something to do.
        ;;
*)
        echo "usage: $0 {start|stop}"
        ;;
esac
====

Quote:>  4. xgopher will not work even though we have the required files in the default dir.

xgopher works fine for me. What error message are you getting? More often
than not, the problem is that xgopher will not work if it cannot find its
application defaults/X-resources file.

there is a variable called XFILESEARCHPATH that you set to point to non-
standard/private directories where you store application defaults file.
My one looks like:

[brahma] echo $XFILESEARCHPATH
$HOME/.app-defaults:/usr/openwin/lib/locale/%L/%T/%N%S\
:/usr/openwin/lib/%T/%N%S

Quote:>  5. Any finnaly we get this error message all the time:
>      Xlib:  sequence lost (0x10003 > 0x4a6) in reply type 0x16!

any particular client you're running when you get this? I've been running
my server continuously ever since 2.3 came out, and haven't seen this one.
I'll look up the protocol guide as to what 0x16 is.

Quote:>  6. "w" show poeple are still logged in even when they have logged out.
>       ps -ef shows them not to be there.

yup. annoying as hell. DEC/Ultrix 4.2 had this bug as well, and we rather
got used to it here.

>As always your comments are most appreciated. Please feel free to respond

>Cyrus

1. Solaris2.4 Patch problem

I've done a stupid thing, i've tried to apply a recommended
patch, without knowing the free space on / ...
So, the installpatch did't do his work well, and do half of
the job... Bad install & bad backout !

I'm now with a / with 0% avaylable with df -k !
I'd like to know what file i could remove to make some
free space in /

I have separate /var, /usr, /opt, /tmp & /usr/openwin

Thanks

2. (no subject given)

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. wither kontour?

5. Help needed on Kernel-related problem...

6. Hitachi GD-7000 DVD-Rom

7. Solaris2.5--mountd problems with Irix5.2--need help!!!

8. NISTIME for Solaris 2.3 ?

9. Sparc5+Solaris2.5+Recommended Patches=SCSI ERRORS -- HELP!

10. Solaris2.1 and 2.2 Patch Archive available

11. solaris2.6 patches

12. nanosleep returns to soon - Solaris2.6 kernel patch 25

13. Patches, Solaris2.4