Patch problems (Solaris 2.5)

Post by Infonex Technical Suppo » Tue, 20 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I have been trying to install a bunch of patches on two of our servers
here. On one of them, the patches installed with no trouble, on the
other almost none of them have installed. Patch 103017-02 installed ok
on the second machine, but after that, all the patches failed.

The error message is most unhelpful.

Quote:>Generating list of files to be patched...
>Verifying sufficient filesystem capacity (exhaustive method) ...
>Installing patch packages...
>pkgadd: ERROR: checkinstall script did not complete successfully
>Patch 103241-01 has not been applied to this system.

>Backoutpatch is terminating.

>Installpatch is terminating.

As far as I can tell, the check install script was never run at all (I
had it output progress messages to a file, none of which ever
appeared). Has anyone had this problem before? Any ideas what might be
behind it? Thanks for any and all help.

        -Lance

Patch problems (Solaris 2.5)

:
: The error message is most unhelpful.
:
: >Generating list of files to be patched...
: >Verifying sufficient filesystem capacity (exhaustive method) ...
: >Installing patch packages...
: >pkgadd: ERROR: checkinstall script did not complete successfully
: >Patch 103241-01 has not been applied to this system.
: >
: >Backoutpatch is terminating.
: >
: >Installpatch is terminating.
:
: As far as I can tell, the check install script was never run at all (I
: had it output progress messages to a file, none of which ever
: appeared). Has anyone had this problem before? Any ideas what might be
: behind it? Thanks for any and all help.

Extract the patches in /tmp and install them as root.

Martin
--

Member of Communications Group            Phone: (++43-1 58801-5834)
Computing Services                        FAX:   (++43-1 587 42 11)

Patch problems (Solaris 2.5)

Post by Niels Bagges » Sat, 24 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: I have been trying to install a bunch of patches on two of our servers
: here. On one of them, the patches installed with no trouble, on the
: other almost none of them have installed. Patch 103017-02 installed ok
: on the second machine, but after that, all the patches failed.
:
: The error message is most unhelpful.
:
: >Generating list of files to be patched...
: >Verifying sufficient filesystem capacity (exhaustive method) ...
: >Installing patch packages...
: >pkgadd: ERROR: checkinstall script did not complete successfully
: >Patch 103241-01 has not been applied to this system.
: >
: >Backoutpatch is terminating.
: >
: >Installpatch is terminating.

installpatch has a mysterious requirement that the patch files should
be world readable. Always do an "umask 0" before untarring a patch, or
do a "chmod -R o+r *" to all your unpacked patches.

--
Niels Baggesen,  UNI-C,  Olof Palmes Alle 38,  DK-8200  Aarhus N,  Denmark

Patch problems (Solaris 2.5)

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Tue, 27 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>installpatch has a mysterious requirement that the patch files should
>be world readable. Always do an "umask 0" before untarring a patch, or
>do a "chmod -R o+r *" to all your unpacked patches.

Or create a user "install" with user id 0.

Casper
Unsolicited e-mail adverti*ts sent to my address will be proofread
for a $250 flat fee.

Patch problems (Solaris 2.5)

Post by Michael Douglas » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> >installpatch has a mysterious requirement that the patch files should
> >be world readable. Always do an "umask 0" before untarring a patch, or
> >do a "chmod -R o+r *" to all your unpacked patches.

> Or create a user "install" with user id 0.

Part of the installation process runs as user nobody; just make your
patches world readable.....  (And live with it???)

Michael Douglass
Texas Networking, Inc.

  "To be a saint is to be an exception; to be a true man is the rule.
   Err, fail, sin if you must, but be upright.  To sin as little as
   possible is the law for men; to sin not at all is a dream for angels."

              - Victor Hugo, "Les Miserables"

Patch problems (Solaris 2.5)

Post by Diana Ewin » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>: I have been trying to install a bunch of patches on two of our servers
>: here. On one of them, the patches installed with no trouble, on the
>: other almost none of them have installed. Patch 103017-02 installed ok
>: on the second machine, but after that, all the patches failed.
>:
>: The error message is most unhelpful.
>:
>: >Generating list of files to be patched...
>: >Verifying sufficient filesystem capacity (exhaustive method) ...
>: >Installing patch packages...
>: >pkgadd: ERROR: checkinstall script did not complete successfully
>: >Patch 103241-01 has not been applied to this system.
>: >
>: >Backoutpatch is terminating.
>: >
>: >Installpatch is terminating.

>installpatch has a mysterious requirement that the patch files should
>be world readable. Always do an "umask 0" before untarring a patch, or
>do a "chmod -R o+r *" to all your unpacked patches.

>--
>Niels Baggesen,  UNI-C,  Olof Palmes Alle 38,  DK-8200  Aarhus N,  Denmark

Patch problems (Solaris 2.5)

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Thu, 05 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>> >installpatch has a mysterious requirement that the patch files should
>> >be world readable. Always do an "umask 0" before untarring a patch, or
>> >do a "chmod -R o+r *" to all your unpacked patches.

>> Or create a user "install" with user id 0.
>Part of the installation process runs as user nobody; just make your
>patches world readable.....  (And live with it???)

Well, part of the patch installation runs as user "install" but if there is
no such user it runs as "nobody".  Making an install user with uid 0
does away wioth those patch installation problems.

More power with the Source :-)

Casper
Unsolicited e-mail adverti*ts sent to my address will be proofread
for a $250 flat fee.

1. Informix problems afters Y2K Solaris 2.5 patch

Since I did the Y2K patch for Solaris 2.5 on a Ultra Sparc 1 system,
Informix 7.22 refuses to startup properly.
Anyone experienced a simular problem? Any suggestions?
Attached some system information and the relevant part of the online.log

Has van der Krieken.

# uname -a
SunOS sungemms 5.5 Generic_103093-25 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1
# su - informix
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.5       Generic November 1995
$ onstat -V
INFORMIX-OnLine Version 7.22.UC2   Software Serial Number AAA#J917741
$ cat online.log

Mon Dec 27 16:09:48 1999

16:09:48  Event alarms enabled.  ALARMPROG = '/informix/etc/no_log.sh'
16:09:48  DR: DRAUTO is 0 (Off)
16:09:49  INFORMIX-OnLine Initialized -- Shared Memory Initialized.
16:09:49  Physical Recovery Started.
16:09:49  Physical Recovery Complete: 0 Pages Restored.
16:09:49  Logical Recovery Started.
16:09:49  shmget: [ENOMEM][12]: key 52574804: out of shared memory, check
system
 SHMALL
16:09:49  out of virtual shared memory

16:09:49  Assert Failed: Internal Error - Segmentation Violation

                Thread(13, bld_logrecs, d039530, 1)
16:09:49   Results: OnLine must abort
16:09:49   Action: Reinitialize shared memory
16:09:49   See Also: /var/tmp/af.d813d
16:09:49  rsinit.c, line 9932, thread 13, proc id 20737, Segmentation
Violation.
16:09:49    PANIC: Attempting to bring system down

2. adapted 2940 problems

3. patch installation problems on Solaris 2.5

4. why ap_send_http_header sets errno to 1?

5. 102971-01 patch install problem. [Solaris 2.5]

6. IP filtering node

7. HELP! Solaris 2.5 patch problems

8. using getsockname !!

9. Solaris 2.5 Patch Problems

10. 102832-03 (the latest Solaris 2.5 xview patch) has big problems

11. Solaris 2.5 Patch Problem?

12. FS: Solaris 2.5 Desktop (CDE) and/or Solaris 2.5 Server Packages for x86 desktops

13. Solaris 2.5 patch simlicity