NIS to NIS+: any how to papers

Post by Raja » Mon, 19 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I looking to move from a NIS to a NIS+ environment. Are there any
whitepapers or any other guidelines ? also can a NIS master and a NIS+
master co-exist on the same subnet ? thanks

Raja

NIS to NIS+: any how to papers

Post by Matt Wet » Tue, 20 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I looking to move from a NIS to a NIS+ environment. Are there any
>whitepapers or any other guidelines ? also can a NIS master and a NIS+
>master co-exist on the same subnet ? thanks

I'm sure there are better ways, but here's what I do:

I have a NIS domain named jpl-xxx and a NIS+ domain named xxx.jpl.  The
two masters are homed on different machines.  Every night I have a cron
job that transfers, via perl scripts, the NIS domain information to the
NIS+ domain.  Admins maintain the NIS domain for now.  When it comes
time to switch the admins can maintain the NIS+ domain and transfer info
from the NIS+ to the NIS domain via a cron job.

Matt
--

NIS to NIS+: any how to papers

Post by Ray W. Hiltbran » Tue, 20 Feb 1996 04:00:00

The way we handle an envirornment is:

We make are updates on the NIS master for all "tables"
except passwd, shadow, group we update right then using
a the NIS makefile, nisaddent on the NIS+ master.

The passwd, shadow, group are updated hourly through cron
of the NIS+ master. (He gets the files through a "hidden" directory
on an automounted partitions)

For more info on NIS+ check out the following:

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/sun-info/white-papers/nis+.ps
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/sun-info/white-papers/nisplus-sug94.ps
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/rayh/solaris/NIS+_FAQ.html

--

Engineering Network Services
Auburn University

   If you are not in the lead your view never changes.

1. Would NIS+ master work with NIS+ & NIS Slave?????????

If anyone have try this combination please let me know if it work..

Here is my Question.  Again would it work if I have this combination:

One machine is NIS+ master server and the other is run NIS+ & NIS compatible mode as a slave for
NIS+ master server domain.

Any sugguestion will be appreciate

Thanks in advance

Yoom Nguyen

906-487-2355

2. Is there a Tandy CDR-1000 driver out there?

3. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc nis client

4. CDE patch # 102450-02 problem

5. NIS+ : Can an HP be a NIS client to a Sun NIS+ server

6. Help

7. YP/NIS rfc/white papers available?

8. ssh - tcpdump

9. white-paper/faq for netgroup(NIS+)

10. NIS+ Compatibility Mode (NIS Client - calendar problem)?

11. Help, NIS+ Server, NIS Client

12. Solaris NIS server and Linux NIS client : problems

13. NIS+ encryption? NIS+ expert needed