ghostscript as print filter

Post by Robert Sherm » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:27:50

having difficulty getting ghostscript 6.0 to work as a print filter on
Solaris 8, printing to a networked LaserJet 5si. I can step through the
filtering process manually (convert text file to postscript with
postprint, then pipe that file through ghostscript to lp) and it works
fine. like so:

# /usr/lib/lp/postscript/postprint /etc/passwd > tmp.ps
# /usr/local/bin/gs -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=laserjet \
-sOutputFile=\|lp tmp.ps
# lpfilter -f all -l
(Filter "Temp")
Input types: simple,postscript
Output types: PCL
Printer types: any
Printers: any
Filter type: slow
Command: /usr/bin/cat

and it prints out perfectly...

but if i set up the following filters:

# lpfilter -f all -l
(Filter "PStoPCL")
Input types: postscript
Output types: PCL
Printer types: any
Printers: any
Filter type: slow
Command: /usr/local/bin/gs -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=laserjet \
-sOutputFile=- -

(Filter "postprint")
Input types: simple
Output types: postscript
Printer types: any
Printers: any
Filter type: slow
Command: /usr/lib/lp/postscript/postprint

and then try to print using the lp command (lp /etc/passwd), it errors
out, citing that an error ocurred during filtering. here is the output
of lpstat -p -D -l, in case that helps...

# lpstat -p -D -l
printer isg5si is idle. enabled since Mon Jan 14 19:36:40 EST 2002. available.
        Form mounted:
        Content types: PCL
        Printer types: hplaser
        Connection: direct
        Interface: /usr/lib/lp/model/netstandard
        On fault: write to root once
        After fault: continue
        Users allowed:
                (all)
        Forms allowed:
                (none)
        Banner not required
        Character sets:
                (none)
        Default pitch: 10 CPI 6 LPI
        Default page size: 80 wide 60 long
        Default port settings:

any tips or suggestions as to why this does not work would be appreciated...

thanks.

-rob

--
robert sherman
css3, school of civil and environmental engineering

Post by Greg Andre » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 07:58:33

>having difficulty getting ghostscript 6.0 to work as a print filter on
>Solaris 8, printing to a networked LaserJet 5si. I can step through the
>filtering process manually (convert text file to postscript with
>postprint, then pipe that file through ghostscript to lp) and it works
>fine.

 [snip filter configs that look fine]

Quote:

>and then try to print using the lp command (lp /etc/passwd), it errors
>out, citing that an error ocurred during filtering.

Does it work when you print a Postscript graphics file instead of
a text file, such as /usr/openwin/share/images/PostScript/columbia.ps  ?

If so, your Ghostscript might not be able to find the fonts it needs
to render text files.  The version of Ghostscript on sunfreeware.com
has the following note:

     http://www.sunfreeware.com/notes.html#ghostscript

  7. Ghostscript setup

  After installation of ghostscript, you will need to set (as in the C-shell)

  setenv GS_FONTPATH /usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/outline
  setenv GS_LIB /usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/Type1:/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/Type3:/usr/local/share/ghostscript/6.0/lib/fonts

     and make sure that /usr/local/bin is in your PATH.

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright

1. Please help with print filter for Ghostscript

I was hoping some kind person could show me their print filter to
transparently print PostScript files on an Epson LQ850 compatible using
Ghostscript.  The Ghostscript docs mention an included shell script that
seems to be missing from slackware -- unix-lpr.sh or something.

Jack Walker Mathematician/Software Engineer

2. 5.7: 64-bit compiler and pidentd

3. How can I using ghostscript as print filter in solaris

4. installing gtk

5. Print filters, Ghostscript and Solaris 2.5

6. Copying /usr to new partition

7. Need help creating a print filter using ghostscript

8. okay I am NEWBIE and i need some help: RPM failures????

9. Printing, Ghostscript, Magic, filters - a few questions

10. Silly print filter question (using ghostscript)

11. Help for Ghostscript print filter for SUN solaris

12. Using Ghostscript as filter for ibmpro printing

13. Ghostscript Printing Error. Unable to Print in Debian.