V440 - disks on different controllers?

Post by DBPW » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 06:58:20

Even though my disks are named c1t0d0, c1t1do,c1t2d0,c1t3do, can I
assume that my rootdisk (c1t0d0) and my rootmirror (c1t1d0) are on
different controllers. he documentation on the Sun V440 server assures
me that:
"The basic system includes an Ultra-4 SCSI disk backplane that
accommodates four 36-Gbyte or 73-Gbyte disks capable of data transfer
rates of up to 320 megabytes per second. The system also supports
external mass-storage devices, with an external SCSI port located on
the system's back panel. Internal and external SCSI devices are on
independent buses, providing better performance for both buses."

How can I find out what controller each disks is on?

Thanks,
DBPW

Post by tunl » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 07:36:34

> Even though my disks are named c1t0d0, c1t1do,c1t2d0,c1t3do, can I
> assume that my rootdisk (c1t0d0) and my rootmirror (c1t1d0) are on
> different controllers. he documentation on the Sun V440 server assures
> me that:
> "The basic system includes an Ultra-4 SCSI disk backplane that
> accommodates four 36-Gbyte or 73-Gbyte disks capable of data transfer
> rates of up to 320 megabytes per second. The system also supports
> external mass-storage devices, with an external SCSI port located on
> the system's back panel. Internal and external SCSI devices are on
> independent buses, providing better performance for both buses."

> How can I find out what controller each disks is on?

> Thanks,
> DBPW

The four internal disks  in the V440  is on the SAME controller.

//Lars

V440 - disks on different controllers?

Post by Kosta Xoni » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 08:24:24

DBPW schrieb:

Quote:> Even though my disks are named c1t0d0, c1t1do,c1t2d0,c1t3do, can I
> assume that my rootdisk (c1t0d0) and my rootmirror (c1t1d0) are on
> different controllers. he documentation on the Sun V440 server assures

[...]

Quote:

> How can I find out what controller each disks is on?

Cx IDs the controller
Tx IDs the device at the controller
Dx IDs the slice/partition of the device.

following that, your four disks are all attached to the same controller.

HTH

--
XAKiChaos

V440 - disks on different controllers?

Post by DBPW » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 08:44:40

Thanks, that's what I thought (Cx = controller). But then, there are
always so many layers to naming things I wasn't sure. So a V440 only
comes with one controller? Or does it come with two, and you have to
somehow(?) place two of the four disks on the other controller?

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 09:21:37

> Thanks, that's what I thought (Cx = controller). But then, there are
> always so many layers to naming things I wasn't sure. So a V440 only
> comes with one controller? Or does it come with two, and you have to
> somehow(?) place two of the four disks on the other controller?

The datasheet mentions that there is one Ultra320 controller standadard.

http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/v440/datasheet.pdf

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/

Post by Scott Howar » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 14:14:01

> Thanks, that's what I thought (Cx = controller). But then, there are
> always so many layers to naming things I wasn't sure. So a V440 only
> comes with one controller? Or does it come with two, and you have to
> somehow(?) place two of the four disks on the other controller?

It has one dual-bus controller.  The 4 internal disks are on one bus,
the external SCSI port (on the back of the system) is on the other
bus.  There is no way to change this.

  Scott

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 21:04:25

>Even though my disks are named c1t0d0, c1t1do,c1t2d0,c1t3do, can I
>assume that my rootdisk (c1t0d0) and my rootmirror (c1t1d0) are on
>different controllers. he documentation on the Sun V440 server assures
>me that:
>"The basic system includes an Ultra-4 SCSI disk backplane that
>accommodates four 36-Gbyte or 73-Gbyte disks capable of data transfer
>rates of up to 320 megabytes per second. The system also supports
>external mass-storage devices, with an external SCSI port located on
>the system's back panel. Internal and external SCSI devices are on
>independent buses, providing better performance for both buses."
>How can I find out what controller each disks is on?

Well, the documentation says that one controller is used
for Internal devices, the other for external.

The "c" number in the device name is the controller number;
so in this case all disks are on the same controller.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

V440 - disks on different controllers?

Post by DBPW » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 00:55:45

I thought the V440 was a fairly "fancy" machine. You don't even have
the option to seperate the rootdisk and rootmirror on different
controllers. Everything I've read recommends this. How important is it?

Post by tunl » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 05:31:19

> I thought the V440 was a fairly "fancy" machine. You don't even have
> the option to seperate the rootdisk and rootmirror on different
> controllers. Everything I've read recommends this. How important is it?

No , The V440  is not a redundant  system.
If the singel  ACTIVE  motherboard develops a fault the whole system
is likely to stop. ( this is the same as almost all  PC-servers today )

The  smallest presenlty available SUN server that  can be described
as somewhat redundant  is the SF 490.   because it has   two
independant
DUAL CPU/Memory  modules that plugs into the Safari  Crossbar.

The Smallest  presently available SUN server that can be described
as  completely  Redundant is the SF 4900  because   the  backplane
is Passive  and  there can be atleast two off   every active component/
module.

//Lars

V440 - disks on different controllers?

Post by DBPW » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 00:19:04

I thought a V440 was a "fancy" machine. Everything I've read says to
put the rootdisk and root mirror on different controllers. I guess I
don't have that choice given my hardware?

Post by mkirs.. » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 00:46:45

> Thanks, that's what I thought (Cx = controller). But then, there are
> always so many layers to naming things I wasn't sure. So a V440 only
> comes with one controller? Or does it come with two, and you have to
> somehow(?) place two of the four disks on the other controller?

I'm not really sure how the docs could be clearer... They clearly state
that the internal SCSI is one bus, and the external SCSI is a different
bus. How you're making the jump to defying the laws of physics to
"somehow(?) place two of the four disks on the other controller" is
beyond me.

You CAN'T put two of the four disks on another controller unless you
physically remove them from the system and install them in an external
enclosure, then connect that external enclosure to the external SCSI
port. It can't be done any other way.

Yes, absolute best practice is to have each half of the mirror on a
separate SCSI bus, but that can't be done with a V440 and internal
disks. Can't be done. Can't. Okay?

Post by Geoff Lan » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 18:04:00

> I thought a V440 was a "fancy" machine. Everything I've read says to
> put the rootdisk and root mirror on different controllers. I guess I
> don't have that choice given my hardware?

Not really. It's quite low on the range of servers from Sun.  I get the
impression that hardware mirror is available as a concequence of the
choice of controller chip set rather than a deliberate design feature.

We have a large number of 440s and they are excellent workhorse servers.

--
Geoff Lane

Today's Excuse:  High altitude condensation from U.S.A.F prototype aircraft
  has contaminated the primary subnet mask. Turn off your computer for 9
  days to avoid damaging it.

Post by Scott Howar » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 18:17:26

> The  smallest presenlty available SUN server that  can be described
> as somewhat redundant  is the SF 490.   because it has   two
> independant
> DUAL CPU/Memory  modules that plugs into the Safari  Crossbar.

It also supports multipathing to the 2 internal disks, so you can actually
do far better than just mirroring across controllers, you can multipath
to each side of the mirror.

  Scott

V440 - disks on different controllers?

Post by Peter Tribb » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 18:18:57

Quote:> I thought a V440 was a "fancy" machine. Everything I've read says to
> put the rootdisk and root mirror on different controllers. I guess I
> don't have that choice given my hardware?

Very few Sun boxes have controller redundancy built in. The internal
drives are always on the same controller. (And a lot of Sun machines
only have 2 internal drives.)  Essentially, if you want that level of
redundancy you need to hook up external drives (which is basically what
happens on the high-end machines anyway).

I've lost hundreds of drives over the years, but never had an internal
disk controller fail.

--
-Peter Tribble
L.I.S., University of Hertfordshire - http://www.herts.ac.uk/

1. jumpstart archive image root disk on different controller

Hi,

I create a flash archive image on a host that it's root disk is on
c1t0d0s0.

Now I found out that the new server I have to jumpstart, it's root
disk is on c0t0d0s0.

Now, on the profile, I have a line like "filesys  rootdisk.s0 1024 / "
So it jumpstarted ok..
But when the machine reboot, it's trying to mount from c1t0d0s0...from
/etc/vfstab...

Do you know how to fix this? Thanks!!!

2. SECURE_CONSOLE = YES or ON?

3. Problem mounting SCSI HD in a different computer w/ different Adaptec Controller

4. Ques: FTP icons when viewed by browser?

5. Sun V440 won't start after swapping disks

6. Sound Blaster

7. what different between boot disk, root disk and emergency disk???

8. Crontab & a tape backup

9. Comments on Emulex SC7003 disk controllers, CDC 9772 disk drives

10. Need help: PANIC: Cannot find root disk controller after changing disks

11. boor -r, different controller numbers

12. Switching to different SCSI Controller