RFH: SunOS NIS users can't "automount" their home directory from NIS+ Server

RFH: SunOS NIS users can't "automount" their home directory from NIS+ Server

Post by Sam Post » Thu, 03 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Thanks to all wjho are taking the time to read this.  The response to
my previous post was outstanding and very successful.

When my users log in to a SunOS box we've got for legacy code
compilation they are able to successfully log in, but they get a "No
Home directory, logging in at /" message.  If I create a directory
called /home/username then they can log in and get sent to that
directory, but its not automounting their directory from the NIS+
server (Running in NIS compatability mode).  The directory that their
user account comes from IS NFS mounted, and they can CD to it, but I
need them to be able to log in  to this direcotry so they can get and
run their .profile file and will know where they are when they start
out.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to make this work?

Thanks,
Sam Posten

Post by RP Pelletie » Thu, 03 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Thanks to all wjho are taking the time to read this.  The response to
> my previous post was outstanding and very successful.

> When my users log in to a SunOS box we've got for legacy code
> compilation they are able to successfully log in, but they get a "No
> Home directory, logging in at /" message.  If I create a directory
> called /home/username then they can log in and get sent to that
> directory, but its not automounting their directory from the NIS+
> server (Running in NIS compatability mode).  The directory that their
> user account comes from IS NFS mounted, and they can CD to it, but I
> need them to be able to log in  to this direcotry so they can get and
> run their .profile file and will know where they are when they start
> out.

> Can anyone tell me what I need to do to make this work?

> Thanks,
> Sam Posten

Hi,

I run a NIS+ domain here in non compat mode.  For my sunos boxes I
simply automate and translate files for sunOS use, it works quite nicely
actually.  Getting to your problem. On my out of domain boxes that
require autohome mounting simply the presence of the auto.home file with
the correct entries has done quite nicely and I've had no problems.  so
I would suggest the presence of this file.  Off the record I would also
suggest running in non compat mode.  I just feel safer that way :) and
less things to consider if there is a domain fault.

Hasta,

rpp

--
Randy Paul Pelletier
Unix Systems Engineer : Unix Systems Administration

Post by Doug Hugh » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Thanks to all wjho are taking the time to read this.  The response to
> my previous post was outstanding and very successful.

> When my users log in to a SunOS box we've got for legacy code
> compilation they are able to successfully log in, but they get a "No
> Home directory, logging in at /" message.  If I create a directory
> called /home/username then they can log in and get sent to that
> directory, but its not automounting their directory from the NIS+
> server (Running in NIS compatability mode).  The directory that their
> user account comes from IS NFS mounted, and they can CD to it, but I
> need them to be able to log in  to this direcotry so they can get and
> run their .profile file and will know where they are when they start
> out.

This is one of those problems that it's easiest to debug in steps.
Can you see the NIS services? (ypcat auto.home - tells you if NIS is
working correctly)

Do you have permission to mount the drive? mount server:/real/home/path /mnt
ls /mnt

Is automount running?

you will want to rm -rf /home/* before running automount (assuming
you will be automounting in /home/username)

Doug Hughes                                     Engineering Network Services
System/Net Admin                                Auburn University

Post by J. Lore » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>Thanks to all wjho are taking the time to read this.  The response to
>my previous post was outstanding and very successful.
>When my users log in to a SunOS box we've got for legacy code
>compilation they are able to successfully log in, but they get a "No
>Home directory, logging in at /" message.  If I create a directory
>called /home/username then they can log in and get sent to that
>directory, but its not automounting their directory from the NIS+
>server (Running in NIS compatability mode).  The directory that their
>user account comes from IS NFS mounted, and they can CD to it, but I
>need them to be able to log in  to this direcotry so they can get and
>run their .profile file and will know where they are when they start
>out.
>Can anyone tell me what I need to do to make this work?

Im not quite experiences about NIS+ and the compatibility mode, so
here just an idea, what are the names of your automount-files?
auto_master, auto_home, etc.?  SunOS is expecting names like
auto.master, auto.home, etc.

Johannes Lorenz                     Technical University Munich
                                    Arcisstr. 21
voice:  +49-89-28915349             D-80290 Muenchen
fax:    +49-89-28915346             Germany

1. ypbind[xxx]: NIS server not responding for domain "ie-mydomain-nis"; still trying

    I have setup nis client on my sun 8  workstation and ran
/usr/lib/netsvc/yp/ypstart.
    The files  in /etc:-  hosts, nsswitch.conf, defaultroute,
resolv.conf, etc... are all fine.

    bash#  ypwhich
    Domain ie-mydomain-nis not bound on   iemyhost
    bash#  ping some_host
    iemyhost  ypbind[seqno]:  Nis server not responding for domain
"ie-mydomain-nis",;   still trying
    ........etc.........
    ........etc.......

    Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

2. Can't mount filesystems after updating RPMs under RH5.1

3. Moving User's Home Directory to a New server using Solstice and Nis+

4. two hard drives

5. So, linux can't automount home directories using autofs and NIS

6. How to remove peral distribution from CPAN

7. NIS Setup Help: "Can't bind to server which serves this domain"

8. Backup Servers in Europe

10. Expanding user's home by automount+NIS

11. userdel : "user" is in use, but "user" isn't logged

13. What's "NIS+: can't get rdev"