ufsdump won't verify

ufsdump won't verify

Post by tony_barr.. » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00



Hi List,
I have an Ultra 10 running 2.6 (5/98 fully patched) and one of Sun's
finest dds-2 (4GB per tape) tapedrives* off the SCSI-3
connection. (no external SCSI termination, but both the autoterm led's,
high and low, on the back, are lit)
I carry out a backup with ufsdump as described below. But the
verification always fails - normally in the first foot of the tape. I
does seem that all the files are on the tape - I've tried to restore a
few arbitrary files and it seems to work. If I say yes to try a re-
write then the same error occurs in just the same way.
It has been suggested that the error occurs because the machine is not
in single user mode and that naturally the files don't all verify, cos,
well, some change with time don't they?

Plz. Any suggestions?


  DUMP: Writing 32 Kilobyte records
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed Jan 05 14:50:42 2000
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s0 (cworks-telf:/usr) to /dev/rmt/0.
  DUMP: Mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: Mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: Estimated 1266366 blocks (618.34MB).
  DUMP: Dumping (Pass III) [directories]
  DUMP: Dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
  DUMP: 66.95% done, finished in 0:05
  DUMP: Tape rewinding
  DUMP: Finished writing last dump volume
  DUMP: Starting verify pass
  DUMP: Verification error 99 feet into tape 1
  DUMP: NEEDS ATTENTION: Do you want to rewrite?: ("yes" or "no")
  DUMP: NEEDS ATTENTION: Do you want to rewrite?: ("yes" or "no")

Groetjes

Tony

Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

ufsdump won't verify

Post by tony_barr.. » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00




> Hi List,
> I have an Ultra 10 running 2.6 (5/98 fully patched) and one of Sun's
> finest dds-2 (4GB per tape) tapedrives* off the SCSI-3
> connection. (no external SCSI termination, but both the autoterm
led's,
> high and low, on the back, are lit)
> I carry out a backup with ufsdump as described below. But the
> verification always fails - normally in the first foot of the tape. I
> does seem that all the files are on the tape - I've tried to restore a
> few arbitrary files and it seems to work. If I say yes to try a re-
> write then the same error occurs in just the same way.
> It has been suggested that the error occurs because the machine is not
> in single user mode and that naturally the files don't all verify,
cos,
> well, some change with time don't they?

> Plz. Any suggestions?


>   DUMP: Writing 32 Kilobyte records
>   DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed Jan 05 14:50:42 2000
>   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
>   DUMP: Dumping /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s0 (cworks-telf:/usr) to /dev/rmt/0.
>   DUMP: Mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
>   DUMP: Mapping (Pass II) [directories]
>   DUMP: Estimated 1266366 blocks (618.34MB).
>   DUMP: Dumping (Pass III) [directories]
>   DUMP: Dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
>   DUMP: 66.95% done, finished in 0:05
>   DUMP: Tape rewinding
>   DUMP: Finished writing last dump volume
>   DUMP: Starting verify pass
>   DUMP: Verification error 99 feet into tape 1
>   DUMP: NEEDS ATTENTION: Do you want to rewrite?: ("yes" or "no")
>   DUMP: NEEDS ATTENTION: Do you want to rewrite?: ("yes" or "no")

> Groetjes

> Tony

Sorry, I failed to notice the two helpful observations mentioned below.
It seems that the file system must/should be dismounted and that the
date of access is naturally changed when a backup is made.
The latter observation, I suppose if the file system is unmounted the
the date/time of access would not be updated. So it all makes sense.
Well sort of, I would like to take a backup every 24 hrs, but I don't
want to go to single use mode and unmount the file systems cos well the
machines supposed to operate 7X24. Maybe an original, retained, backup
with unmounted file systems and then a daily multi user would fit the
bill.

Recomendations anyone?

Gs

Tony

the man page for ufsdump is quite clear about the 'v' flag:

The file system MUST be unmounted.

so basically this is not expected to work. usually I think it does,
though. Problems will occur if the filesystem has active files on it,
which change during the dump and the verify stage. normally /usr
doesn't change much, but this depends on your local setup, too.

Try to do a "touch /tmp/timestamp" before the ufsdump command, and a
"find /usr -newer /tmp/timestamp" after the (failed) dump/verify. This
would show any new or updated files, maybe this identifies the culprit.

hth, mp.

Updated acces times will cause a "verify" mismatch when dumping.

Casper

Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

ufsdump won't verify

Post by Anthony Mandi » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00



> It seems that the file system must/should be dismounted and that the
> date of access is naturally changed when a backup is made.

        Yes, its mentioned in the ufsdump man page. The "v" (verify)
        option requires the target filesystem to be unmounted.

Quote:> Well sort of, I would like to take a backup every 24 hrs, but I don't
> want to go to single use mode and unmount the file systems cos well the
> machines supposed to operate 7X24. Maybe an original, retained, backup
> with unmounted file systems and then a daily multi user would fit the
> bill.

        I do it like this and have no problems. I usually pick the quietest
        time of day (late at night). I've seen others argue against this
        but I've been able to restore open Oracle and Lotus Notes database
        files without any problems.

-am

 
 
 

ufsdump won't verify

Post by tony_barr.. » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00





> > It seems that the file system must/should be dismounted and that the
> > date of access is naturally changed when a backup is made.

>    Yes, its mentioned in the ufsdump man page. The "v" (verify)
>    option requires the target filesystem to be unmounted.

> > Well sort of, I would like to take a backup every 24 hrs, but I
don't
> > want to go to single use mode and unmount the file systems cos well
the
> > machines supposed to operate 7X24. Maybe an original, retained,
backup
> > with unmounted file systems and then a daily multi user would fit
the
> > bill.

>    I do it like this and have no problems. I usually pick the
quietest
>    time of day (late at night). I've seen others argue against this
>    but I've been able to restore open Oracle and Lotus Notes
database
>    files without any problems.

> -am

That's reassuring I guess, thanx for your input.
I was also wondering about using usfdump/restore to maybe restore a
machine with a broken root file system. It seems kindof hard and slow
to do that with a tape. It might be better to install and patch Solaris
from cee dee, and then install the apps (HPov for example), and then
restore the application config from tape (or hard drive from a
neigboring machine). I only have 5 or 6 machines to back up, including
Ultra 10's (with no Scsi for the tape drive, sigh) so a jumpstart
solution is probably too much overhead).

Reccommendations anyone?

TIA

Tony

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

ufsdump won't verify

Post by Anthony Mandi » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00



> I was also wondering about using usfdump/restore to maybe restore a
> machine with a broken root file system. It seems kindof hard and slow
> to do that with a tape. It might be better to install and patch Solaris
> from cee dee, and then install the apps (HPov for example), and then
> restore the application config from tape (or hard drive from a
> neigboring machine). I only have 5 or 6 machines to back up, including
> Ultra 10's (with no Scsi for the tape drive, sigh) so a jumpstart
> solution is probably too much overhead).

        Can you elaborate on the "broken root filesystem" comment?

        Yes, it is sometimes easier to just reinstall everything and
        then make some mods. Another thing you can you is install third
        party software in their own filesystem. Since this is independant
        of the OS filesystems, you can restore it from backup quite easily
        when you have to rebuild the system. Of course, not everything is
        this flexible. Some braindamaged installations want to go into
        /opt or wherever. You could fool them with symlinks to other
        filesystems, however.

-am

 
 
 

ufsdump won't verify

Post by Keith Christophe » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00


Quote:> I was also wondering about using usfdump/restore to maybe restore a
> machine with a broken root file system. It seems kindof hard and slow
> to do that with a tape. It might be better to install and patch Solaris
> from cee dee, and then install the apps (HPov for example), and then
> restore the application config from tape (or hard drive from a
> neigboring machine). I only have 5 or 6 machines to back up, including
> Ultra 10's (with no Scsi for the tape drive, sigh) so a jumpstart
> solution is probably too much overhead).

> Reccommendations anyone?

> TIA

> Tony

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Well if you have no SCSI tape hooked to the machine I see it as being hard.
typically I prefern ufsdumps for the OS disks.

1) boot cdrom -s
2) newfs corrupted root partition
3) mount /dev/dsk/c#d#t#d# /a
4) cd /a
5) mt -f <tape device>  rew;ufsrestore -xf  <tape device>

And after restore is done:

install the boot block back to the disk using the installboot command.

You could also dump to a disk file and then restore from a good partition
to the rootusing the same as
above but mounting the partition that has the dumpfile.

--
                              \\\|///
                            \\  ~ ~  //

---------------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo----------------------------
Keith Christopher

"What good are more laws without morality." -Ben Franklin
-----------------------------------Oooo.----------------------------
                         .oooO     (   )
                         (   )      ) /
                          \ (      (_/
                           \_)

 
 
 

1. kcheckpass won't verify a password!

I just noticed something rather annoying, and I'm sure it's something I've
done wrong, but I can't find help anywhere for this.

Yesterday I pressed the lock screen button on my home computer (lord only
knows why, I'd just gotten home from work and it's a habit when I'm there)
and when I came back kde asked me for my password and couldn't verify it. I
ended up having to do a ctrl alt backspace to get past it, which is not
something i like doing. So I tried running kcheckpass, and I keep getting
the same thing,

authentication failure for user me [uid xxxx]

no matter what I type. so, being as i compiled this from the source myself,
i figured i'd done something wrong, so i downloaded kdebase2.2.2 again and
configured it as so,

./configure --prefix=/opt/kde --enable-objprelink --enable-final
--disable-debug --with-shadow --disable-cups --with-x --with-pam=no

I compiled it, and still, kcheckpass can't verify my password.

I'm running Slackware 8, and I'm using a password that's a phrase, like
"this would be my password".  it's all lowercase and several words long
with no funky characters.  not that that makes much of a difference, cause
i tried changing my password back to a simple one and it still wouldnt
verify it.  what am i doing wrong here?

-Elliott Martin

2. Where can I find more fonts

3. ufsdump verify option

4. PATCH: some additional unusual_devs-entries for usb-storage-driver, kernel 2.5.68

5. Verifying a sol7 ufsdump without restoring?

6. ibook2 speaker noise on wake

7. PLI DAT and ufsdump verify errors

8. X Mailers

9. ufsdump verify option and DAT

10. ltconfig: you must specify a host type if you use '--no-verify'

11. Does the 'cp' command verify the file copied correctly?

12. debsig-verify or Verifying Debian Packages

13. quirk: man won't man "w" won't "w" and no telnet