X86 v2.6 & EtherExpress Pro/10+ die die

Post by Paul Griffit » Mon, 24 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I have been banging my head against the wall on this one. Here are the
details. It's Sun's fault :-)

Solaris X86 v2.6 5/98 with DU3
Asus TX97-L Mainboard, with 64MB of RAM
ATI PCI Video, ASUS SC-200 PCI SCSI, Intel EtherExpress Pro/10+ PCI (82557
- network controller chip)

Solaris will see the card, but it thinks it's a Pro/100B, therefore it
assigns it the iprb driver. The problem is this card/computer can't been
seen on the network, or see the network.

To make sure it wasn't a hardware/configuration issue I ran PicoBSD
(FreeBSD on a floppy). from PicoBSD I was able to ping my Win95 box, and
Win95 was able to ping PicoBSD.

All the references on SunSolve, or anything from Sun say the
82557 is  a Pro/100B, but in the case it's a Pro/10+. I when to the Intel
web site and was able to ID the card as a Pro/10+ PCI (it support
full-duplex, I think thats the plus feature)

So it's a driver issue with Solaris v2.6 - anyone have any ideas, tips, or
anything that can help ? Is Sun assuming that all 82557s are Pro/100B.
Also dmesg | grep ether shows

PCI [blah blah] ether (unknown) [mac address]

                       ^------- Should this not be 10T or 10Mbps ???

Please Help
Thank You
 --

BTW: Yes I made sure that each PCI device had a unique IRQ.

1. problems with Solaris/x86 v2.6 & EtherExpress Pro 10/100

i've recently installed Solaris/x86 v2.6 on my Pentium Pro machine. the
installation went quite ok but the network interface is not working
properly. the Device Configuration Assistant was able to find all the
hardware devices on the machine e.g.:
        - Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100
        - Sound Blaster 16 clone
        - Matrox Millennium etc.

at boot the kernel seems to be able to detect the EtherExpress card
(dmesg shows messages about it and ifconfig tells the hardware address
etc.). the iprb driver is used with the card. the routes seem to be
properly setup after the boot (route to local network exists). i'm not,
however able to ping the local network (only the local interface
responds) nor ping my machine from other machines in the same LAN.
pinging iprb0 and le0 succeeds. this doesn't seem to be a routing
problem(?). can the kernel have been configured the card in a false mode
e.g. full-duplex instead of half-duplex of 100 Mb instead of 10 Mb mode?
how can these modes be checked and changed? any other guesses on what's
causing this problem?

ip-addresses, routes, the card etc. should be fine because i use
equivalent configuration on the same machine when running Linux.

--
        aspa

2. gdb problem after upgrade

3. EtherExpress Pro/10 and Pro/10+

4. help: tasklet not being scheduled

5. PC-NFS, printing, bannerpage. die.die.die

6. GUI Scripting

7. Zombie die die die

8. Red Hat V.4 Install Problems

9. /ethan die,die,die

10. 3c509 & Intel EtherExpress Pro 10

11. RedHat 6.0 & Intel EtherExpress Pro+ 10/100+Management PCI Ethernet Card

12. Install Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/10+ ISA card on Redhat 6.1 ---Please help