turn off speaker forever?

Post by Chris Morga » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have an Ultra10 running Solaris 2.7 and I use the CD-ROM drive as a
music CD player most of the time. Every now and then I reboot the
machine and sometimes I forget to fire up audiotool to turn the
built-in speaker volume right down, so I start a CD and bother my
colleagues with my awful music. Is there a command to turn the volume
off I can use from a boot script?

Thanks,

Chris

--
Chris Morgan <mihalis at ix.netcom.com>

turn off speaker forever?

Post by Joe Durusa » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

    I suppose you could, but I usually solve audio problem by cutting the

wire to the speaker.  It's simple, low-tech, easy, and if you cut a big
enough chunk out of the wire, permanent..

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau

Post by Trond Norby » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I have an Ultra10 running Solaris 2.7 and I use the CD-ROM drive as a
> music CD player most of the time. Every now and then I reboot the
> machine and sometimes I forget to fire up audiotool to turn the
> built-in speaker volume right down, so I start a CD and bother my
> colleagues with my awful music. Is there a command to turn the volume
> off I can use from a boot script?

in man -s7i audio I found the following example code... I have not
tested it, but it should probably do what you want. Just compile and
call the program from one of the scripts in /etc/rc?.d

             audio_info_t info;
             AUDIO_INITINFO(&info);
             info.play.port = AUDIO_HEADPHONE;
             err = ioctl(audio_fd, AUDIO_SETINFO, &info);

Trond Norbye

turn off speaker forever?

Post by Chris Morga » Thu, 12 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> in man -s7i audio I found the following example code... I have not
> tested it, but it should probably do what you want. Just compile and
> call the program from one of the scripts in /etc/rc?.d

Thanks for all the answers I received.

Cheers,

Chris
--
Chris Morgan <mihalis at ix.netcom.com>

1. Turning off banner pages forever...

Under Solaris 2.5.1, using Sun's LP print service, I'd like to
permanently turn off the printing of banner pages for all of our
users- we've got a very small community of users, and most of our
printouts are two or three pages long at most, so this is simply a
waste of paper and toner.

I can use lpadmin or the admintool to turn the banner page
configuration to off, but this only means that users are allowed to
request that no banner page be printed, not that no banner page will
be printed under any circumstance.

I've thought about a number of solutions, neither of which are really
satisfactory:

  - alias "lpr" to "lpr -h"  and "lp" to "lp -o nobanner" This works
    for users that are actually logged in to the machine, but not for
    stuff that's spooled over the network.

  - Install another print spooling package, such as LPRng.  This is more
    work than I'd rather do, but if it's the only way to achieve this, I
    guess I'll go ahead and do it.

Is there any way to do this under Solaris 2.5.1 with Sun's LP print
service?

--

Department of Mathematics                   http://www.nmt.edu/~borchers/
New Mexico Tech                             Phone: 505-835-5813

2. Syslogd crashes on Micron Laptop

3. How do I turn off the pc speaker

4. Perl5 port install on 2.2.8-STABLE

5. Q: How do I turn off the internal speaker while recording??

6. OEM Stealth 64, PCI, 2MB VRAM

7. Turning off the modem external speaker

8. DOSEMU and Rainbow dongle - help needed

9. Turning off the internal speaker

10. Is there a way to turn the speaker off on modem?

11. Newbie: How to turn off PC speaker ?

12. How to turn off the beep from the PC speaker?

13. how to turn off PC Speaker??