NFS performance solaris client, linux server

NFS performance solaris client, linux server

Post by Tim Smi » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 21:28:13



Hi,
   I have ordered a 1 terabyte IDE raid which will run on Red Hat
Linux 7.2.
I will create filesystems overed over NFS to a Solaris 2.8 (SunOS?)
server.
Files will be written from tape using tar to the filesystem and when
it is all done they will be requested randomnly by an application. One
file at a time (typical size 1-2MB).

   Can you give any performance tips, mount parameters and any other
parameters that I need to consider in the configuration of NFS for
this linux/solaris combination.  White papers or other articles would
be great.

thanks!

Tim

 
 
 

NFS performance solaris client, linux server

Post by Steven R. Gerbe » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 21:43:49



> Hi,
>    I have ordered a 1 terabyte IDE raid which will run on Red Hat
> Linux 7.2.
> I will create filesystems overed over NFS to a Solaris 2.8 (SunOS?)
> server.
> Files will be written from tape using tar to the filesystem and when
> it is all done they will be requested randomnly by an application. One
> file at a time (typical size 1-2MB).

>    Can you give any performance tips, mount parameters and any other
> parameters that I need to consider in the configuration of NFS for
> this linux/solaris combination.  White papers or other articles would
> be great.

> thanks!

> Tim

Duck!

Steven

 
 
 

NFS performance solaris client, linux server

Post by David Magd » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 00:37:18



>    I have ordered a 1 terabyte IDE raid which will run on Red Hat
> Linux 7.2.
[...]
>    Can you give any performance tips, mount parameters and any other
> parameters that I need to consider in the configuration of NFS for
> this linux/solaris combination.  White papers or other articles would
> be great.

You may want to look at FreeBSD for the NFS server. Other than that
you may want to look at the Linux NFS HOWTO [1] and FAQ [2]. There is
a "performance" section in the HOWTO [3].

[1] http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/
[2] http://nfs.sourceforge.net/
[3] http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/performance.html

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>
Because the innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under
the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may do well
under the new. -- Niccolo Machiavelli, _The Prince_, Chapter VI

 
 
 

NFS performance solaris client, linux server

Post by Rich Tee » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 01:11:15



Quote:> Hi,
>    I have ordered a 1 terabyte IDE raid which will run on Red Hat
> Linux 7.2.
> I will create filesystems overed over NFS to a Solaris 2.8 (SunOS?)
> server.
> Files will be written from tape using tar to the filesystem and when
> it is all done they will be requested randomnly by an application. One
> file at a time (typical size 1-2MB).

>    Can you give any performance tips, mount parameters and any other
> parameters that I need to consider in the configuration of NFS for
> this linux/solaris combination.  White papers or other articles would
> be great.

Linux is not a good choice for an NFS server, especially when using
Solaris clients.  IDE disks are also not a good idea from a performance
point of view, if you're exepcting any significant disk traffic...

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
URL: http://www.rite-online.net

 
 
 

NFS performance solaris client, linux server

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 05:54:29



> Linux is not a good choice for an NFS server, especially when using
> Solaris clients.  IDE disks are also not a good idea from a
> performance point of view, if you're exepcting any significant disk
> traffic...

Actually UDMA5 IDE drives work quite well unless there is a really heavy
load on the server.  They can read the files at 30-40MB/sec, far more
quickly than a 100BaseTx network can deliver the data to the clients.

It is good that his files are already on tape because when I tried that
silliness of Linux server/Solaris client the Linux server corrupted
many of the files stored on its drive.

The NFS server on Linux has a long history of incompatibility with
clients other than Linux.  They may have fixed it or possibly not.  Use
of FreeBSD or Solaris 8/x86 on that hardware are far better
alternatives to Linux for that application.

 
 
 

NFS performance solaris client, linux server

Post by mari » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 16:25:40


Actually, I am convinced the original post wasn't quite serious. Starting
from the 1 Terabyte IDE, to the Linux as NFS server for Solaris clients
(heck, Sun invented NFS!) etc... there are so many things so wrong in so
many ways in that post, that I must chalk up to "I'm just kidding you", Some
sort of Monty Python kind of humor.



> > Hi,
> >    I have ordered a 1 terabyte IDE raid which will run on Red Hat
> > Linux 7.2.
> > I will create filesystems overed over NFS to a Solaris 2.8 (SunOS?)
> > server.
> > Files will be written from tape using tar to the filesystem and when
> > it is all done they will be requested randomnly by an application. One
> > file at a time (typical size 1-2MB).

> >    Can you give any performance tips, mount parameters and any other
> > parameters that I need to consider in the configuration of NFS for
> > this linux/solaris combination.  White papers or other articles would
> > be great.

> Linux is not a good choice for an NFS server, especially when using
> Solaris clients.  IDE disks are also not a good idea from a performance
> point of view, if you're exepcting any significant disk traffic...

> --
> Rich Teer

> President,
> Rite Online Inc.

> Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
> URL: http://www.rite-online.net

 
 
 

NFS performance solaris client, linux server

Post by Joerg Schilli » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 18:54:52





>> Linux is not a good choice for an NFS server, especially when using
>> Solaris clients.  IDE disks are also not a good idea from a
>> performance point of view, if you're exepcting any significant disk
>> traffic...

>Actually UDMA5 IDE drives work quite well unless there is a really heavy
>load on the server.  They can read the files at 30-40MB/sec, far more
>quickly than a 100BaseTx network can deliver the data to the clients.

You just don'tneed to forget to switch UDMA on...

Quote:>It is good that his files are already on tape because when I tried that
>silliness of Linux server/Solaris client the Linux server corrupted
>many of the files stored on its drive.

I am not sure if this has been fixed, but a Linux client currupted
my files on a Solaris server with a high propability. The result was
some missing characters at one end of a shifted block and in some
null chars at the other end.

There has been a dicsussion about a year ago that this was( still is) related
to the fact that Linux ignores the fact that UDP packets may arrive _and_
serviced out of order. It may be that there are similar problems if the
server is running Linux.

Quote:>The NFS server on Linux has a long history of incompatibility with
>clients other than Linux.  They may have fixed it or possibly not.  Use
>of FreeBSD or Solaris 8/x86 on that hardware are far better
>alternatives to Linux for that application.

An important issue for both FreeBSD and Linux is the missing record locking.

People on Linux don't miss this because they mostly use 'vim' which uses
a non-portable proproetary locking scheme for the edited file.
However, 'nvi' and 'ved' use advisory record locking to singnal other editors
that a file is currently edited.

--



URL:  http://www.fokus.gmd.de/usr/schilling    ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix

 
 
 

NFS performance solaris client, linux server

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 21:45:31



>I am not sure if this has been fixed, but a Linux client currupted
>my files on a Solaris server with a high propability. The result was
>some missing characters at one end of a shifted block and in some
>null chars at the other end.
>There has been a dicsussion about a year ago that this was( still is) related
>to the fact that Linux ignores the fact that UDP packets may arrive _and_
>serviced out of order. It may be that there are similar problems if the
>server is running Linux.

When I diagnosed that problem i tturned out that the Linux client would
have multiple outstanding *conflicting* NFS requests for the same parts
of a file.  I.e., it would send a write request and then a conflicting
write request after another update was done; the Solaris server
could handle those requests in a different order which gave corruption.
Also, the client would retransmit requests with updated file contents
(it wouldn't keep a copy of the request, it would just get it from
the file as it was at a later time).  All in all a horrid confused mess.
It is getting better.

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
be fiction rather than truth.

 
 
 

NFS performance solaris client, linux server

Post by Rich Tee » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 01:30:04



> Actually, I am convinced the original post wasn't quite serious. Starting
> from the 1 Terabyte IDE, to the Linux as NFS server for Solaris clients
> (heck, Sun invented NFS!) etc... there are so many things so wrong in so
> many ways in that post, that I must chalk up to "I'm just kidding you", Some
> sort of Monty Python kind of humor.

That would be nice, but I think it was a serious post.  There are
a LOT of PeeCee raised Linux weenies out there that think just like
this - i.e., know almost enough to be dangerous.

Reminds me of one fool I used to work with.  He was talking about
copying a "large" database, and would it overload the network
tarffic (if so, he'd do the copy after hours).  So I asked him the
size of this database.  His answer: "Oh, about 4 MB".  When I
finished laughing, I told him to go ahead with the copy...

I know size is relative, but by today's standards, 4 MB is tiny!
Given the network and computers involved, if he'd said 4 GB, I
might've had pause for thought.

He was a PeeCee raised Windoze Weenie (an even lower grade of
person than the Linux typed alluded to above).  Even more amusingly,
for someone so pro-M$, he didn't know much about that companies
products.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
URL: http://www.rite-online.net

 
 
 

NFS performance solaris client, linux server

Post by Michael Maxwel » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 00:53:54



> Hi,
>    I have ordered a 1 terabyte IDE raid

                                 ^^^

Why?!?!?

Quote:> which will run on Red Hat Linux 7.2.

WHY?!?!?

Quote:>    Can you give any performance tips, mount parameters and any other
> parameters that I need to consider in the configuration of NFS for
> this linux/solaris combination.  White papers or other articles would
> be great.

Hahahaha...

--

Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore strange
UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.

 
 
 

NFS performance solaris client, linux server

Post by sp.. » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 04:15:54




>> Hi,
>>    I have ordered a 1 terabyte IDE raid
>                                 ^^^

>Why?!?!?

Yes there are such size RAID ATA.
It's available. This RAID cotrollers use Serial-ATA ...
Max size I've seen 1,7 TB..
Quote:

>> which will run on Red Hat Linux 7.2.

>WHY?!?!?

Next Yes ..drives are supported under Linux (SCSI adaptec chipsets)

Regards..
Marcin Jurczuk.

 
 
 

NFS performance solaris client, linux server

Post by Bob Palowo » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 11:07:53





> >> Hi,
> >>    I have ordered a 1 terabyte IDE raid
> >                                 ^^^

> >Why?!?!?
> Yes there are such size RAID ATA.
> It's available. This RAID cotrollers use Serial-ATA ...
> Max size I've seen 1,7 TB..

Maybe 1.6 Terabytes.  I've seen a 8 drive 200G Maxtor controller
for Solaris x86 offered by Solaris x86 from www.lsilogic.com
(i4 ATA/100 RAID).  Suppose you could call it 1.7 for rounding
factors.  Nice for backup storage but lousy as a server filesystem.

---Bob

 
 
 

NFS performance solaris client, linux server

Post by Tim Smi » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 00:23:21




> > Hi,
> >    I have ordered a 1 terabyte IDE raid
>                                  ^^^

> Why?!?!?

Because we do not have much money, the total hardware cost was under
6K US.
Unloading from tape we got speeds of 5MB/sec over NFS across subnets
which far exceeded the tape speed of 2.5MB/sec.

Quote:

> > which will run on Red Hat Linux 7.2.

> WHY?!?!?

It is free and I am not aware of where to download the intel Solaris.
Actually we used Red Hat Linux 7.3

Quote:

> >    Can you give any performance tips, mount parameters and any other
> > parameters that I need to consider in the configuration of NFS for
> > this linux/solaris combination.  White papers or other articles would
> > be great.

> Hahahaha...

Other people have provided some resources but thanks.
 
 
 

NFS performance solaris client, linux server

Post by Tim Smi » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 00:24:17




> > Linux is not a good choice for an NFS server, especially when using
> > Solaris clients.  IDE disks are also not a good idea from a
> > performance point of view, if you're exepcting any significant disk
> > traffic...

> Actually UDMA5 IDE drives work quite well unless there is a really heavy
> load on the server.  They can read the files at 30-40MB/sec, far more
> quickly than a 100BaseTx network can deliver the data to the clients.

> It is good that his files are already on tape because when I tried that
> silliness of Linux server/Solaris client the Linux server corrupted
> many of the files stored on its drive.

> The NFS server on Linux has a long history of incompatibility with
> clients other than Linux.  They may have fixed it or possibly not.  Use
> of FreeBSD or Solaris 8/x86 on that hardware are far better
> alternatives to Linux for that application.

Ohoh, not such good news.  Where can I download Solaris 8/x86 - I
thought Sun pulled out of that?
 
 
 

NFS performance solaris client, linux server

Post by Tim Smi » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 00:29:18






> > >> Hi,
> > >>    I have ordered a 1 terabyte IDE raid
> > >                                 ^^^

> > >Why?!?!?
> > Yes there are such size RAID ATA.
> > It's available. This RAID cotrollers use Serial-ATA ...
> > Max size I've seen 1,7 TB..

> Maybe 1.6 Terabytes.  I've seen a 8 drive 200G Maxtor controller
> for Solaris x86 offered by Solaris x86 from www.lsilogic.com
> (i4 ATA/100 RAID).  Suppose you could call it 1.7 for rounding
> factors.  Nice for backup storage but lousy as a server filesystem.

> ---Bob

We used a Prompise SX8000 controller - very nice as it is simply a
SCSI device so no device drivers required.  We used 8 120GB 7200RPM
drives though you could used bigger and can even daisy chain
additional raid controllers off this one - so I could see many TB
being possible.  Sure, not great performance - but in our case at any
one time only one file is being read/written at a time.
 
 
 

1. Poor NFS write performance from Linux clients to NFS Ver 3 servers.

I'm having a real problem with very slow NFS write performance from Linux
clients running Redhat 4.2, 5.0, and 5.1 to servers running NFS version
3.0.  The servers indicate that the Linux clients are mounted using NFS v2.
The servers I have are running Solaris 2.5.1 and 2.6 on both Intel and SPARC
hardware. Others have reported the same problem with Alpha servers running
Digital UNIX and NFS v3. My servers are all up to date on patches. The
network (Fast Ethernet) is not the problem as I have this problem on two
isolated networks at different locations. NFS read performance is normal.

I have increased the rsize and wsize to 8192, which doubled the performance,
and have played with every option I thought would help.  Now the writes are
only a factor of 10 times slower than FTP'ing the file and 6 times slower
than other clients running Solaris 2.5.1 and NFS v3 using TCP.

I'm getting desperate as everyone is screaming about the slow performance.
I'm hoping that someone has solved this problem. Surely I don't have to put
extra disks of home directories on these Linux boxes to be able to use NFS.
I just installed Redhat 5.1 hoping that would fix my problem, but its no
different. Why is it taking so long to add NFS version 3.0 protocols to
Linux?  It has been available from other vendors for well over a year. The
performance of version 3.0 using TCP is significantly faster than version
2.

Thanks in advance for any help. I will post a summary if I find a solution.

Denny Morse

2. rpc on SunOS 4.1.3

3. problem with LINUX (NFS server) and Solaris 2.7 (intel ) NFS client.

4. PAM_passwdqc

5. Solaris 2.6 NFS server, Solaris 8 client

6. ANNOUNCE: Release of Frisk-0.99b3

7. Need info on PC/NFS and Unix NFS servers, server/client ratio

8. Can't use file produced by gcc

9. 2.4 NFS server/client performance

10. NFS V3 terrible performance when system is client & server

11. Down 'Solaris' NFS Server hangs 'Solaris' Client

12. Solaris 2.x NFS and NIS server with Solaris 1.x clients???

13. Very slow NFS performance between AIX client and FreeBSD server