Motif Window Manager for Solaris 2.6

Post by Chris O'Rega » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

[Please use address listed below if replying by e-mail.]

I will be upgrading several workstations from Solaris 1.1.2 to Solaris 2.6.
Since I have several users who are quite fond of their window managers
(twm/mwm/olwm) I have decided not to run CDE but instead run the standard
xdm found in /usr/openwin/bin.  (Any reason why it's been chmod -x'ed?)

I tried running dtwm as a replacement for mwm, but that did not work.  Would
anyone know where I can find a pre-compiled version of mwm for Solaris 2.6
(i.e. not statically linked!)?  Or perhaps the source -- if, of course, it
is legal to distribute?  I found a free implementation of Motif (Lesstif?)
and it does include a version of mwm.  Has anyone tried it?

                   Concordia University, Montreal, Canada
                http://www.ECE.Concordia.CA/~chris/addr.html

Post by Peter C. Tribb » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> [[ Reply by email or post, don't do both ]]

>>I will be upgrading several workstations from Solaris 1.1.2 to Solaris 2.6.
>>Since I have several users who are quite fond of their window managers
>>(twm/mwm/olwm) I have decided not to run CDE but instead run the standard
>>xdm found in /usr/openwin/bin.  (Any reason why it's been chmod -x'ed?)

> You can easily run windowmanagers otehr than dtwm under dtlogin.
> (Xdm is not supported; but the -xis probably by accident)

Hm. /usr/openwin/bin/xdm is mode 444 here too. Looking at the pkgamp
file, it's supposed to be that way. Presumably to stop you running xdm
by accident when dtlogin's already there.

How can I easily run other window managers under dtlogin? I've tried
various things that look as if they ought to work but no luck so
far. What I really want to do is add a "traditional xdm" option onto
the greeter that will run our local .xsession scripts, but a recipe for
adding fvwm95 (say) onto the list would be very helpful.

--
-Peter Tribble
HGMP Computing Services

Post by Steve Kapp » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>> [[ Reply by email or post, don't do both ]]

>>>I will be upgrading several workstations from Solaris 1.1.2 to Solaris 2.6.
>>>Since I have several users who are quite fond of their window managers
>>>(twm/mwm/olwm) I have decided not to run CDE but instead run the standard
>>>xdm found in /usr/openwin/bin.  (Any reason why it's been chmod -x'ed?)

>> You can easily run windowmanagers otehr than dtwm under dtlogin.
>> (Xdm is not supported; but the -xis probably by accident)

>Hm. /usr/openwin/bin/xdm is mode 444 here too. Looking at the pkgamp
>file, it's supposed to be that way. Presumably to stop you running xdm
>by accident when dtlogin's already there.

The printed README that comes with 2.6 lists this as a bug and
has the chmod command to add execute to it.

Motif Window Manager for Solaris 2.6

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

[[ Reply by email or post, don't do both ]]

>I will be upgrading several workstations from Solaris 1.1.2 to Solaris 2.6.
>Since I have several users who are quite fond of their window managers
>(twm/mwm/olwm) I have decided not to run CDE but instead run the standard
>xdm found in /usr/openwin/bin.  (Any reason why it's been chmod -x'ed?)

You can easily run windowmanagers otehr than dtwm under dtlogin.
(Xdm is not supported; but the -xis probably by accident)

Quote:>I tried running dtwm as a replacement for mwm, but that did not work.  Would
>anyone know where I can find a pre-compiled version of mwm for Solaris 2.6
>(i.e. not statically linked!)?  Or perhaps the source -- if, of course, it
>is legal to distribute?  I found a free implementation of Motif (Lesstif?)
>and it does include a version of mwm.  Has anyone tried it?

What doesn't work for you in dtwm?

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Post by Kirk De » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>> [[ Reply by email or post, don't do both ]]

>>>I will be upgrading several workstations from Solaris 1.1.2 to Solaris 2.6.
>>>Since I have several users who are quite fond of their window managers
>>>(twm/mwm/olwm) I have decided not to run CDE but instead run the standard
>>>xdm found in /usr/openwin/bin.  (Any reason why it's been chmod -x'ed?)

>> You can easily run windowmanagers otehr than dtwm under dtlogin.
>> (Xdm is not supported; but the -xis probably by accident)

>Hm. /usr/openwin/bin/xdm is mode 444 here too. Looking at the pkgamp
>file, it's supposed to be that way. Presumably to stop you running xdm
>by accident when dtlogin's already there.

>How can I easily run other window managers under dtlogin? I've tried
>various things that look as if they ought to work but no luck so
>far. What I really want to do is add a "traditional xdm" option onto
>the greeter that will run our local .xsession scripts, but a recipe for
>adding fvwm95 (say) onto the list would be very helpful.

>--
>-Peter Tribble
>HGMP Computing Services
>http://www.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk/~ptribble/

see man dtlogin for "Alternate Desktop Session Resources".

Basically, you add a /usr/dt/config/C/Xresources.d/Xresources.xxxx file for
window manager "xxxx". (copy and edit the Xresources.ow file).  In the same
way add a /usr/dt/config/Xsession.xxxx file.

This will add your window manager to the dtlogin options -> sessions menu.
You can even add a bitmap for your new window manager option that will be
displayed in the dtlogin screen.

I have done this for fvwm and it works well.

(I hope I haven't left out any steps).

Have fun!

--
Kirk Deen                           Center for Magnetic Resonance Research
Systems Software Programmer         University of Minnesota

http://www.cmrr.drad.umn.edu/~kdeen

Post by Charles Stephen » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

 PCT> How can I easily run other window managers under dtlogin? I've
 PCT> tried various things that look as if they ought to work but no
 PCT> luck so far. What I really want to do is add a "traditional xdm"
 PCT> option onto the greeter that will run our local .xsession
 PCT> scripts, but a recipe for adding fvwm95 (say) onto the list
 PCT> would be very helpful.

The easiest way is to just change sessions.  Before entering your
password go to Options|Session|OpenWindows Desktop.  It will then do
the same old thing of reading your .xinitrc and it will run any shell
you so desire.

dtlogin should be smart enought to log you in that way in the future.

cfs
--

Software Engineer                 =
Solaris Network Sustaining        = "Take only as directed.  If rash develops,

Motif Window Manager for Solaris 2.6

Post by Chris O'Rega » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00

[Please use e-mail address listed below if replying by e-mail.]

CD>You can easily run windowmanagers otehr than dtwm under dtlogin. (Xdm is
CD>not supported; but the -xis probably by accident)

Is there a way of removing CDE as one of the choices of window managers?  I
am not ready to support this environment.  Also, I find CDE to be somewhat
sluggish on my SPARCstation 4 compared to twm.  Considering that the
majority of the systems that we support are in the order of performance of a
SPARCstation 2, this is a serious drawback.  I would rather save a few CPU
cycles for the CAD tools and simulations that we run in our teaching and
research environments.  Finally, I find CDE butt-ugly.  :-)

Can you list the advantages of dtlogin over xdm?

CO>I tried running dtwm as a replacement for mwm, but that did not work.

CD>What doesn't work for you in dtwm?

I tried executing it from my .xsession.  It quit soon after loading.  Also,
from what I did see, it did not load the MWM resources that were in my
.Xdefaults.  It is important that the switch to Solaris 2.6 be transparent
to my users.  Besides that, if my users' environments break after the
switch, they'll all be running to my office demanding that I fix them.

                   Concordia University, Montreal, Canada
                http://www.ECE.Concordia.CA/~chris/addr.html

Motif Window Manager for Solaris 2.6

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00

[[ Reply by email or post, don't do both ]]

>Is there a way of removing CDE as one of the choices of window managers?  I
>am not ready to support this environment.  Also, I find CDE to be somewhat
>sluggish on my SPARCstation 4 compared to twm.  Considering that the
>majority of the systems that we support are in the order of performance of a
>SPARCstation 2, this is a serious drawback.  I would rather save a few CPU
>cycles for the CAD tools and simulations that we run in our teaching and
>research environments.  Finally, I find CDE butt-ugly.  :-)

I suppose there is a way, it's all controlled by resources files and
scripts you can change.  You can probably make the CDE session go away by
putting the OW stuff in place.

Quote:>Can you list the advantages of dtlogin over xdm?

dtlogin allows things like exiting the desktop to a command line login;
comes pre setup (I've always found xdm a bit of a hassle).

Quote:>I tried executing it from my .xsession.  It quit soon after loading.  Also,
>from what I did see, it did not load the MWM resources that were in my
>.Xdefaults.  It is important that the switch to Solaris 2.6 be transparent
>to my users.  Besides that, if my users' environments break after the
>switch, they'll all be running to my office demanding that I fix them.

Ah, for some moronic reason dtwm and other applications require a number
of environment variables to be set (no sensible builtin defaultm no
checking of absence) so dtwm dumps core.

You need to eval `dtsearchpath` before running dtwm.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Motif Window Manager for Solaris 2.6

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00

[[ Reply by email or post, don't do both ]]

Quote:>How can I easily run other window managers under dtlogin? I've tried
>various things that look as if they ought to work but no luck so
>far. What I really want to do is add a "traditional xdm" option onto
>the greeter that will run our local .xsession scripts, but a recipe for
>adding fvwm95 (say) onto the list would be very helpful.

When logging in with dtlogin chose "Openwindows desktop" and then put whatever
you want in your .xinitrc.

(make sure it doesn't terminate as the sessions exits when .xinitrc
finishes, e.g., make teh window manager the last command)

The Openwindows session simply runs old openwindows style sessions and those
use ~/.xinitrc.

Casper

be fiction rather than truth.

Motif Window Manager for Solaris 2.6

Post by Chris O'Rega » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00

CO>Can you list the advantages of dtlogin over xdm?

CD>dtlogin allows things like exiting the desktop to a command line login;
CD>comes pre setup (I've always found xdm a bit of a hassle).

When I setup xdm, it worked pretty much out of the box.  All I had to do was
add a line to /etc/inittab:

        xw:23:respawn:/usr/openwin/bin/xdm -nodaemon -config \
        /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config

(I copied the default configs from /usr/openwin/lib/X11/xdm to my
application server and modified them there.)

CD>Ah, for some moronic reason dtwm and other applications require a number of
CD>environment variables to be set (no sensible builtin defaultm no checking
CD>of absence) so dtwm dumps core.

CD>You need to eval `dtsearchpath` before running dtwm.

Will dtwm use the "Mwm" resources in .Xdefaults if I set dtsearchpath to my
home directory or is it expecting something like "Dtwm"?

                   Concordia University, Montreal, Canada
                http://www.ECE.Concordia.CA/~chris/addr.html

Motif Window Manager for Solaris 2.6

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00

[[ Reply by email or post, don't do both ]]

>Will dtwm use the "Mwm" resources in .Xdefaults if I set dtsearchpath to my
>home directory or is it expecting something like "Dtwm"?

In /usr/share/release_info/Solaris_2.6/C/eof the transition is explained;
Dtwm will use Dtwm* resources but with the -name option it can be
made to look for MWM resources also.

Here's what th edocument says:

    The Motif Window Manager (MWM) is no longer supported in the Solaris
    2.6 operating environment.

    If you are currently using the MWM, upgrade to CDE desktop. The CDE
    desktop provides superior functionality and the transition is not
    difficult. The following information is provided if you cannot
    upgrade from the MWM to the full CDE desktop.

    If you have developed applications using the Motif Development
    kit that shipped with the 2.5 Software Developer's Kit, you can now use
    dtwm, the Window Manager, that is part of CDE. The Windows Manager can
    be used just like the MWM. The Windows Manager also supports
    resource files for the MWM.

    The following actions can be taken to make the Windows Manager appear
    similar to an existing MWM configuration.

    Turn off the dtwm front panel using the following settings:

          Dtwm*useFrontPanel:      False

     This resource can be set in .Xdefaults, or the existing resource can be
     changed from True to False in the file /usr/dt/app-defaults/C/Dtwm

     The dtwm option -name allows the use of most existing mwm resources.
     The "-name" option is documented in the dtwm man page.

     mwm customers may or may not depend on the following file: $HOME/.mwmrc
     There is a dtwm resource configFile that can be set to make dtwm read
     the file $HOME/.mwmrc. This resource is documented in the dtwm man page.

     The root menu for dtwm and mwm is not the same. The dtwm root menu is
     fully configurable. You can make any changes in the root menu. See the
     man pages for dtwm and dtwmrc.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Motif Window Manager for Solaris 2.6

Post by Beatriz Elena Dura » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Where could I find the soft ware to set up a Mail Server in Solaris?