rlogin vs. telnet ?

Post by Mario Desideri » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

In a client ( windows95 ) server ( Solaris ) application I have to
decides either the use of telnet or rlogin.

Could you please tell me what are the major differences of each service
?

What resource each of these services occupy from the OS ?

Thanks,

Mario

rlogin vs. telnet ?

Post by how.. » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

From windows95 no real difference.

I would recommend telnet because its a
simpler protocol.

A few years back I did read an article about
rlogin users having a higher risk of brain tumors
but that was probably folklore.

rlogin vs. telnet ?

Post by Jim Scofiel » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

The r utilities are open to security holes because of the trust factor
involved.  Telnet is a little bit better, but you should use tcpwrappers
with it.

Hope this helps,

Jim Scofield

>Hello,

>In a client ( windows95 ) server ( Solaris ) application I have to
>decides either the use of telnet or rlogin.

>Could you please tell me what are the major differences of each service
>?

>What resource each of these services occupy from the OS ?

>Thanks,

>Mario

rlogin vs. telnet ?

Post by Kevin J.De » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

If you do decide to use SSH, use version 1.22. As previous version has
security holes.....

says...

--
Kevin J.Dell
The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose

rlogin vs. telnet ?

Post by Marcell » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> The r utilities are open to security holes because of the trust factor
> involved.  Telnet is a little bit better, but you should use tcpwrappers
> with it.

The counter argument to this is that they are not as big a security hole
as telnet because telnet forces the user to type in a password, which is
then sent over the network in clear text.  In order for rlogin (or and
of the other r utilities) to be a security hole one would have to :

1. know that a particular user allows a user (typically themselves) on
another machine into their account.
2. either break into that account, or spoof the IP address of that
machine and pretend to be that user.

- if someone breaks into your account you are probably in trouble anyway
- spoofing IP addresses over the Internet while entirely possible, is
not all that frequent (or am I hopelessly deluded?)

Just being "devil's advocate."

------------------
Marcello

rlogin vs. telnet ?

Post by Toby Cree » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> In a client ( windows95 ) server ( Solaris ) application I have to
> decides either the use of telnet or rlogin.

Rlogin is bad because it can use a trust based relationship by hostname
and/or username.

Telnet is bad because it passes a cleartext password over the network
(but
so will rlogin if you don't use the trust relationship).

Both are bad.  Use ssh or SSL telnet, or write the client/server model
from scratch using sockets and your own authentication handshake.

Toby
--
Toby Creek - UNIX System Administrator
Alcatel Telecom, 2912 Wake Forest Road, Raleigh, NC

rlogin vs. telnet ?

Post by Jeffrey Altm » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

:
: From windows95 no real difference.
:
: I would recommend telnet because its a
: simpler protocol.
:

I think I will have to disagree here.  Rlogin is much simpler.
The pathway is 8-bit clean, there is a very simple connection
protocol as opposed to Telnet's option negotiations.  However,
with Rlogin you have to understand Out of Band data whereas
Telnet can be written to deliver OOB data inline without
difficulty.

    Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer * Kermit-95 for Win32 and OS/2
                 The Kermit Project * Columbia University
       612 West 115th St #716 * New York, NY * 10025 * (212) 854-1344

rlogin vs. telnet ?

Post by Jeffrey Altm » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

: >
: > Hello,
: >
: > In a client ( windows95 ) server ( Solaris ) application I have to
: > decides either the use of telnet or rlogin.
:
: Rlogin is bad because it can use a trust based relationship by hostname
: and/or username.
:
: Telnet is bad because it passes a cleartext password over the network
: (but
: so will rlogin if you don't use the trust relationship).
:
: Both are bad.  Use ssh or SSL telnet, or write the client/server model
: from scratch using sockets and your own authentication handshake.

Another solution is to use the totally patent free Kerberos Authentication
and Encryption model from MIT  http://web.mit.edu/www/
Telnet, Rxxx, and ftp clients and servers are provided in the distribution.

    Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer * Kermit-95 for Win32 and OS/2
                 The Kermit Project * Columbia University
       612 West 115th St #716 * New York, NY * 10025 * (212) 854-1344

1. rlogin vs. telnet - How do they differ?

I have the following problem:

When I use rlogin to connect to a remote host, I sometimes get a message
"Host is unreachable". When I use telnet, I get connected to the same host
immediately and without any problems, which implies that the host is not at
all "unreachable". Does anybody know what might cause the problem and what
is the difference in the way rlogin and telnet establish connections with
remote hosts? Any suggestions welcome.

                                Thanks, Frantisek Stepanek.

2. AMD K6-2/350 and a Giga MB

3. rlogin vs. telnet

4. C2 security under NIS

5. OpenBSD on a Mac Quadra 650

6. protocols - rlogin vs TELNET

7. Shells?

8. rlogin vs. telnet

9. telnet vs. rsh vs. rlogin ???

10. telnet 0 vs telnet `hostname` vs telnet 127.0.0.1

11. telnet vs. rlogin

12. Telnet vs Rlogin detection in .cshrc