problems creating a statically bound executable

problems creating a statically bound executable

Post by Thomas Kre » Fri, 09 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
I tried to create a static version of bash (as it was discussed elsewhere) as
a /bin/sh replacement.
I simply changed -Bdynamic to -Bstatic in the makefile, but then I get
errors, that some libraries where not found. E.g a /usr/lib/libdl.a is missing.
As this seems to be a part of the dynamic linker I would have a problem if
it doesn't exist. But deleting -ldl from the library list gives an error,
that symbols like dlopen, dlclose are missing, but from /usr/lib/libc.a!!!??

When testing other programs to link statically I have same or similar problems.
Additionally /bin/file doesn't seem to be able to distinguish between static and
Dynamic bound executables.

Can someone help me?
Thomas
---
Thomas Krebs
Department for Manufacturing Automation and Production Systems FAPS
University of Erlangen
Egerlandstr. 7-9
91058 Erlangen
Tel.: +49 (0)9131/85-8740
Fax:  +49 (0)9131/302528
http://www.faps.uni-erlangen.de:1200/persons/krebs.html

1. Problem to create statically bound binary on AIX 3.2.5

I'm trying to create a statically bound X application on AIX 3.2.5
using xlC.

The flags that I've used are -bnoso -bI:/lib/syscall.exp
-bI:/usr/lpp/Xll/bin/smt.exp.

I get the following error message:
-----
0706-317 ERROR: Unresolved or undefined symbols detected:
                 Symbols in error (followed by references) are
                 dumped to the load map.
                 The -bloadmap:<filename> option will create a load map.

pthread_yield

__iconv_open

The error code from the last failed command is 8.

Make Quitting.
----

Any suggestion or pointer in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. radiusd-cistron-1.6.4-3 on RH7.1

3. Creating a statically linked executable

4. RAS VPN Client for Redhat Linux

5. Problems creating tiny, statically linked application

6. Compaq revenue goes down $1 Billion, warns of loss in 3rd Quarter

7. Question about statically linked executable, glibc and LGPL

8. Why lchown32 and lchown ? (and others)

9. Make statically-linked executable from dynamic, with no source ?

10. How to build statically linked executable on Solaris with g++?

11. executable with shared lib vs statically linked

12. making statically-linked executable

13. Building a statically linked executable