lex bug/feature

Post by Jay Sco » Fri, 24 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>Hi, I'm trying to port some lex source from UTS (amdahl unix variant) to
>Solaris and something that compiled fine stops working. The details are:
>$ uname -a
>SunOS gandalf 5.5.1 Generic_103640-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1
>$ lex -V
>lex: Software Generation Utilities (SGU) SunOS/ELF (LK-2.0 (S/I) -
>versioning)
>^C$ lex exprlex.l
>"exprlex.l":line 83: Error: Definitions too long
>0/1000 nodes(%e), 0/10000 positions(%p), 1/500 (%n), 0 transitions,
>0/10000 packed char classes(%k), 0/20000 packed transitions(%a), 0/32000
>output slots(%o)
>$

>The lex file works fine when I cut it down to 43 definitions (from 200+) -
>does anyone have an idea what's going on? Am I missing some flag or
>something or should I try the gnu lex.

look at the lex man page.  lex takes arguments to expand the size
of some arrays.  it looks a bit like you may have exceeded the limit.

or get flex, the gnu lex.  i like it a lot better.  for a start, it
has exclusive start states.  most of my lexical stuff works ok with
either, but when i need a big hammer, i use flex.

j.
--
Jay Scott               512-835-3553

Applied Research Labs, Computer Science Div.
University of Texas at Austin

1. Lex/Yacc Recursive Background Bugs?

Is there any odd behaviour known with putting recursive Lex/Yacc
routines in background on Linux machines?

We have a lex/yacc routine that opens include files for parsing.
Within the include files, it will open other include files
recursivily.  This works on SGI, Sun etc...  It also works on Redhat
Linux 5.2 & 6.1 in the foreground.  But if the lex/yacc parser is put
in background, the parsing fails. It almost looks like variables are
static through the recursion.

Is this a known problem, or is Redhat just more strict with something
that I was getting away with previously?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. S: XF86Config for Hercules Stingray and belinea 17"

3. lex bug ...

4. unix binary diff/patch tool

5. lex bug

6. sendmail problem - please help

7. Lex maximum - Error when compiling with "lex"

8. the X font server

9. Bug in Solaris 2.5.1 lex

10. 1.3.x: ICMP redirect ignored, bug or feature ?

11. possbile bug/feature in inetd or SunOS ??

12. HORRIBLE SWAP THRASHING BUG(feature?) (please try this)

13. Q: Recursive Link; Bug or Feature ?