Installation of LDAP Directory Server 5.1 is CRAP!!!

Installation of LDAP Directory Server 5.1 is CRAP!!!

Post by spoo » Fri, 02 May 2003 05:47:39

All,

I just need LDAP in my site for centralized user authentication and
administration.

In total frustration I have tried many, many times installing and
configuring the trial version of Netscape's Directory Server 5.1 that
I downloaded from the Sun site. I have loaded it both on a Solaris 8
and a Solaris 9 server. They both failed miserably in the same place
while doing a :

/usr/lib/ldap/idsconfig it says...
  ERROR: update of schema attributes failed!

I have followed the "Cook Book" that is out in Sunsolve ( Did you guys
know that the document seems to get updated everyday?!? ) and I even
own the Sun Blueprints book on LDAP... but none help.

This is very frustrating, even a call to my 'paid' Sun technical
Support is of no help! They're useless when it comes to answering LDAP
questions!

The following is the summary of running idsconfig:
Note I masked my true domainname with a generic domainname.

             Summary of Configuration

  1  Domain to serve               : domain.com
  2  Base DN to setup              : dc=domain,dc=com
  3  Profile name to create        : default
  4  Default Server List           : 192.168.255.40
  5  Preferred Server List         :
  6  Default Search Scope          : sub
  7  Credential Level              : proxy
  8  Authentication Method         : simple
  9  Enable Follow Referrals       : TRUE
 10  iDS Time Limit                :
 11  iDS Size Limit                :
 12  Enable crypt password storage : TRUE
 13  Service Auth Method pam_ldap  :
 14  Service Auth Method keyserv   :
 15  Service Auth Method passwd-cmd:
 16  Search Time Limit             : 30
 17  Profile Time to Live          : 43200
 18  Bind Limit                    : 10
 19  Service Search Descriptors Menu

Enter config value to change: (1-19 0=commit changes) [0]
Enter DN for proxy agent: [cn=proxyagent,ou=profile,dc=domain,dc=com]
Enter passwd for proxyagent:
Re-enter passwd:

WARNING: About to start committing changes. (y=continue, n=EXIT) y

  1. Changed passwordstoragescheme to "crypt" in cn=config.
  ERROR: update of schema attributes failed!

-------

Any help is appreciated! I am now tempted to s*the whole thing and
concentrate on utilizing Openldap for my authentication needs.

Thanks in Advance---

Post by Thomas Krickstad » Sat, 03 May 2003 16:45:08

> I have followed the "Cook Book" that is out in Sunsolve
> and I even own the Sun Blueprints book on LDAP... but
> none help.
> [...]
> The following is the summary of running idsconfig:
> [...]
>   4  Default Server List           : 192.168.255.40
> [...]
> WARNING: About to start committing changes. (y=continue, n=EXIT) y
>   1. Changed passwordstoragescheme to "crypt" in cn=config.
>   ERROR: update of schema attributes failed!

Did you issue the command 'directoryserver setup' on
192.168.255.40 before to install and startup the server?

Kind regards, Thomas
(just done the SUN educational services
course "LDAP Design and Deployment")
--

1. IPLT Directory Server 5.1 and Sun One Directory Server 5.1 Difference ?

Curious if there is any different between IPLT Directory Server 5.1
and Sun One Directory Server 5.1.

I just got the IPLT 5.1 distro that comes with Solaris 9 working and I
noticed the Sun ONE Directory 5.1 server has a Service Pack 1.

Is this service pack appropriate for the IPLT Directory server
packages in Solaris 9 ?

2. Jaz problems...

3. Solaris 9 LDAP Directory Server 5.1 ... Anybody???

4. Red Hat 6.1 upgrade signal 7 error

5. Sun ONE Directory Server 5.1 Patch questions

6. Sound card question

7. NIS and Sun ONE directory server (5.1).

8. I need to produce boot.flp

9. SUN one directory server 5.1 replication problem

10. Directory Server (5.1) crash

11. Preparing for Directory Server - Do I need to remove 5.1?

12. ldap 3.2 IBM secureway directory... installation

13. How to use LDAP as PAM in FreeBSD 5.1?