Ultra-5 won't boot from cdrom

Post by Chip Ka » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 22:42:20

I cannot get an Ultra-5 to boot from the Solaris 8 Installation
CD-ROM.  I am using the following procedure:

# halt

the machine halts and displays the OpenBoot 'ok' prompt and I enter
the following boot command:

ok boot cdrom

The CD-ROM drive spins up for 20 seconds or so and then displays the
following error:

Drive not ready
Can't read disk label.
Can't open disk label package
Evaluating: boot cdrom
Can't open boot device

The system then boots from the hard drive as usual.  Any help will be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Chip Kaye

Ultra-5 won't boot from cdrom

Post by R. Schich » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 23:46:01

Is the CD-Rom an original from the media-pack or a copy??

Solaris-CDs are in Rockridge-format (extension of the normal
ISO-Standard).

Maybe you has not use this format when you make a copy of the cd....

If it is an original CD check the cdrom with a different CD that works on
an other box...

Kind regards

Roman Schicht

> I cannot get an Ultra-5 to boot from the Solaris 8 Installation
> CD-ROM.  I am using the following procedure:

> # halt

> the machine halts and displays the OpenBoot 'ok' prompt and I enter
> the following boot command:

> ok boot cdrom

> The CD-ROM drive spins up for 20 seconds or so and then displays the
> following error:

> Drive not ready
> Can't read disk label.
> Can't open disk label package
> Evaluating: boot cdrom
> Can't open boot device

> The system then boots from the hard drive as usual.  Any help will be
> greatly appreciated.

> Thanks very much,

> Chip Kaye

Ultra-5 won't boot from cdrom

Post by Chip Ka » Sun, 29 Jul 2001 02:18:58

Yes - it is an original CD-ROM from Sun.  I have tried two different
original Sun CD's with the same result, and both CD's can be read by
the drive with no trouble when I browse them under Solaris.

> Is the CD-Rom an original from the media-pack or a copy??

> Solaris-CDs are in Rockridge-format (extension of the normal
> ISO-Standard).

Ultra-5 won't boot from cdrom

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 21:39:13

> Yes - it is an original CD-ROM from Sun.  I have tried two different
> original Sun CD's with the same result, and both CD's can be read by
> the drive with no trouble when I browse them under Solaris.

Then the drive is physically broken. Replace the drive.

Booting from CDROM is one of those things that's supposed to Just Work(tm) on
Sun workstations, provided the hardware is configured properly. If it doesn't
work, either the CD is physically broken or the CDROM drive is physically
broken.