gcc, fvwm, xv on SunOs 5.5

Post by sjfr.. » Sat, 22 Apr 2000 04:00:00

In general, to install freeware/shareware packages on SunOs 5.5, what
do I need?  It sounds like often one needs the source.  Which means one
needs a compiler.  4 of our machines were removed from a network which
came with licenses, and the network people "restored" them to
the "original" OS, but that apparently included very little (meaning,
the minimum SunOs distribution, no "optional" packages).  What I'm
worried about:  that gcc will need a compiler, too ... and the only
compiler on these machines right now is cc, which someone said isn't
ANSI-compliant.

Hmm...

(I'd really like CDE (ie dtwm), but that's not free.   And mwm (Motif)
ain't free either, is it?  So I think I'll go with fvwm.)

Oh...one other thing...is xv very stable on Solaris?  On our Solaris 7
box, it misbehaves.  But it ran OK off that box on a SunOs 5.5 box
running CDE.  Maybe it's 'cuz we're using an outdated version?

sjfromm

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

gcc, fvwm, xv on SunOs 5.5

Post by Alan Stang » Sat, 22 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> In general, to install freeware/shareware packages on SunOs 5.5, what
> do I need?  It sounds like often one needs the source.  Which means one
> needs a compiler.  4 of our machines were removed from a network which
> came with licenses, and the network people "restored" them to
> the "original" OS, but that apparently included very little (meaning,
> the minimum SunOs distribution, no "optional" packages).  What I'm
> worried about:  that gcc will need a compiler, too ... and the only
> compiler on these machines right now is cc, which someone said isn't
> ANSI-compliant.

> Hmm...

> (I'd really like CDE (ie dtwm), but that's not free.   And mwm (Motif)
> ain't free either, is it?  So I think I'll go with fvwm.)

Both CDE and Motif come with Solaris.  They aren't free; you paid for them
when you bough the OS.  mwm doesn't come with Solaris, but you can make
dtwm look like mwm if that's what you want.

Quote:> Oh...one other thing...is xv very stable on Solaris?

Yes.

Quote:> On our Solaris 7 box, it misbehaves.  But it ran OK off that box on a
> SunOs 5.5 box
> running CDE.  Maybe it's 'cuz we're using an outdated version?

How does xv misbehave?

Most PD software can be gotten from http://www.sunfreeware.com/

--

gcc, fvwm, xv on SunOs 5.5

Post by Paul D. Smi » Sat, 22 Apr 2000 04:00:00

  s> In general, to install freeware/shareware packages on SunOs 5.5,
  s> what do I need?  It sounds like often one needs the source.  Which
  s> means one needs a compiler.

If you can find pre-built binaries, then that's all you need.  Go look
at http://www.sunfreeware.com for pre-built versions of most open source
programs for just about every combination of Solaris/hardware.

If you can't find pre-built binaries, or you want to compile it yourself
anyway, then you'll need both the source code and a compiler.

  s> but that apparently included very little (meaning, the minimum
  s> SunOs distribution, no "optional" packages).

  s> What I'm worried about: that gcc will need a compiler, too ...

Of course.  You can't turn C source code into a program without a
compiler... even if the C source code _implements_ a compiler.

You should go get a pre-built version of GCC to "bootstrap" yourself
with; you can either keep that version, or use it to build your own GCC.

  s> the only compiler on these machines right now is cc, which someone
  s> said isn't ANSI-compliant.

The default "cc" on a Solaris box is not only not ANSI-compliant, it's
not even a compiler.  It's just a little shell script that says "Your
bad, you don't have a compiler" if you try to run it (essentially).

  s> (I'd really like CDE (ie dtwm), but that's not free.   And mwm (Motif)
  s> ain't free either, is it?  So I think I'll go with fvwm.)

These all (except mwm) come with any Solaris, even the most basic
version.  You can't buy Solaris without them, AFAIK.  If you don't have
them, tell your admin folks to load them.

gcc, fvwm, xv on SunOs 5.5

Post by sjfr.. » Sun, 23 Apr 2000 04:00:00

[snip!]

Quote:> How does xv misbehave?

[This is to complete the conversation; but I don't need an answer. -sjf]

I saw it in action, and I'm guessing it's not xv.  My colleague was
trying to capture an image processing application's graphical output.
After I grabbed it with xv, xv presented the result, but the colors got
mangled.  Without knowing any better, I'm going to wager that it's the
fault of the application, not xv.  (I don't know much about colormaps
etc.)

Weird kluge; xwd followed by xwud followed by xv (in order to convert
it to another format) *did* work, except for a very minor perturbation
of the colors...

Thanks for your kind help,

sjfromm

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. opendir(), SunOS 4.1.3, SunOS 5.5 compatibility

Given the following program:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <dirent.h>

int
main (argc, argv)
        int argc;
        char **argv;
{
        DIR     *dir;

        if (argc < 2) return 1;

        dir = opendir (argv[1]);
        if (dir == NULL) {
                perror (argv[1]);
        } else {
                printf ("opened %s\n", argv[1]);
                closedir (dir);
        }
        return 0;

Compiled on SunOS 4.1.{3,4} with cc or gcc, either static or dynamic
linking, run on SunOS 5.5, gives an odd appearing problem:

% test/dir /usr/lib/locale
/usr/lib/locale: No such file or directory
% test/dir /usr/lib/spell
opened /usr/lib/spell
% ls -ldg /usr/lib/locale /usr/lib/spell
drwxr-xr-x  41 bin      bin          1024 May 10  1996 /usr/lib/locale/
dr-xr-xr-x   2 bin      bin           512 May 10  1996 /usr/lib/spell/
%

Some other directories with "locale" in the path also fail.

Explanation?

2. How to use Netscape "auto proxies" with any www-server ?

3. how do I get banner pages on SunOS 5.5 and SunOS 4.x?

4. sub-second timing

5. MS-exchange 5.5 DNS configuration on solaris 5.5

6. PHP as ErrorDocument?

7. Framemaker 5.5/SunOS 5.7 trouble

8. Move files from Win to Sol 7 ?

9. NFS V2 or V3 in SunOS 5.5/5.5.1

10. is "find -local" broken in SunOS 5.5?

11. SunOS 5.5 Ftpd question

12. Compiling httpd under SunOS 5.5

13. MBONE/ multicast on SunOS 5.5